Insulting ad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Freedom doesn't come cheap! There is usually a high price to pay. However we should never trade security for freedom as we'll lose both.

The generations of Germans raised and born after WW2 shouldn't be held responsible for what their ancestors did.

It is extremely immoral to expect successors paying for the sins of their ancestors.
Duh? :confused: Is that what you read from my statement...?
It was before my time, too; my dad had to survive the Pacific war first before I was hatched.

Yeah, it's dangerous to forget our history and sad to be unfamiliar with the extreme costs of freedom. I wonder how much my kids may know?

Not that I think anyone should hold a grudge, we have a nice boy from Germany living with my daughter's family this year so I won't bring it up for discussion, but still - if we forget our history, we are destined to repeat it.
I wouldn't hold a grudge against any of the Axis soldiers who were doing their duties either, and certainly not their descendants.

This thread has truly become a horse beater.

I think he referred to you not being really familiar with the Normandy stories.

Maybe "familiar" was not the right word. Here is an ostensive explaination:

I remember very clearly the day JFK was killed. I remember the house we lived in. I remember it was an overcast day. I remember the B and W console Zenith TV, and I remember my mom laying on the bed sobbing and trying to explain why. I'm intimatly familiar with that day in history, but when I hear stories about that day, they don't mean anything to me. While I'm somewhat familiar with them, they are still just stories. And just now I think I can understand why someone who had intimate familiarity with a real war, because they were actually in the ****ing thing, would be a little upset about someone refering to it or using it in a frivolous manner.

I wouldn't hold a grudge against any of the Axis soldiers who were doing their duties either, and certainly not their descendants.

My nephew is really stuffed. His two grandparents fought on different sides (Germany and Britain) during WW2. We try not to bring the subject up at Christmas.

Its threads like this that make me glad I'm a member of this community. :D

I can't even begin to tell you how badly I needed that laugh.
This Ginger thanks you!

That's because (a) you choose to be offended, and (b) because you choose to assign negative connotations to a term that doesn't necessarily imply them.

I'm not responsible for your choices ... you are.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It's not because of any negative connotations to the term invasion, it's because you went out of your way to make an inaccurate list that implies the US invaded all those counties.

The example I showed of Normandy (which you excluded) is a prime example of a positive connotation of the word invaded.

And when I said "I am more offended", if I took this on a scale of 1 to 10 with the ad being a 1, this would be a 2.

And while you can attempt to put blame solely on the person claiming offense, that is a weak argument for acting or saying inappropriate things. For example, if you use a derogatory word toward someone you can not excuse yourself and say "they chose to be offended".

Hmmmm :hm: We got any SB members good at writing grant proposals? You might be onto something there.
Tell the administration we need to apologize to some exotic dive destination, for the wrongs that our forefathers might have done. SB then can boost their local economy using a government grant to bring 200-300 members to apologize in person!

Sounds like a plan to me!

... problem is there just ain't much diving to be had in South Dakota ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Not sure I was thinking of invading South Dakota when I mentioned the above, a bit too much shore and too little diving for a SB invasion.

Now, on my Harley, in early Aug, a nice fat government grant might just get my apology juices flowing in that part of the world too! IJS :D

It's a dead horse, man, it's a dead horse. :deadhorse:

Back
Top Bottom