Instructors, is this common practice???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There is no requirement on the RSTC Medical Statement for a physical examination.

No, I have no idea how much a physical examination costs - check my profile. However, no physical examination is required, so it does not matter.

As a medical professional I would never sign a release without having personally given that person a physical exam at some point. So from a practical standpoint a physical IS required.

Has anyone ever gotten a physician's release from a provider they have never had even a cursory exam from? That is akin to giving someone a c-card based on a phone call or written questionnaire.

Ok I understand that rules are rules, and if I were in the instructors position I would follow the rules to the letter. I do wonder about HIPAA protections with these student folders though...does anyone know if the instructor is bound by law to keep your conditions private? I am also curious as to how the insurance policy doesn't cover you if you let them dive after checking yes...insurance is for when you screw up, and this screw up should be covered unless specifically listed under the exclusions part of your liability policy. Car insurance covers drunk driving accidents and I'd say that's a pretty big screw up.

Last edited:
Just got a clarification from PADI Americas. While the document mentioned has the wording as already given in this thread the official position is the release from the physician must be within a year. This makes things crystal clear.

"27 Oct 11

With respect to your question, a medical & doctor’s approval are good for a period of one year provided as you mention no changes to their medical history. This standard is actually found in the Instructor Manual which you can download for free from the PADI Pro Site. Regarding your second question, no the medical form and duration of it’s validity are the same for all PADI courses for the Americas Office and region. There are differences in other countries which fall under different PADI Offices.

I hope this answers your question.

Regards,

Steve Mortell
Consultant, Training
PADI Americas

For completeness my question to PADI read "A question came up as to how long a medical release is valid for. Reviewing the RTSC form there is no time frame specified on it. Clearly if there are any material changes in health a new form is needed, but if there are NO changes, but the diver had to answer YES to one of the screening questions, how long is the medical clearance good for. Is it different for OW or Con-Ed?"

ff1diver,

No, my son did not get his OW this year. If all goes well, he will get it next summer. Thanks for asking though. We usually go to Florida 3 or 4 times a summer so he should be able to get it done then. Now, if we can just talk our daughter into diving...

Paperwork should be done and read by both sides before the class. Especially in litigation happy south Florida...

Form the business side it was poor form to send someone books and materials before knowing if they can take the class...

Last edited:
Just as an aside since I received a query regarding the additional language I use and med questions I ask. At DEMA I checked with my insurance carrier about it and they have no problem with any of it. The questions are no more invasive than those on the standard form and it actually makes me less of a risk.

Back
Top Bottom