Instructors as role models

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's funny even when diving with other Instructors, some have been my students and I KNOW they are being be just a little more involved in dive planning and conservative because I'm there, other Instructors that have experience similar to mine that I have dove many times with in both fun and co teaching is when I find myself being "just another diver", yet have a outside our group diver show up or observe and we find ourselves falling into the "role model" mind set very quickly.

GDI:
When I'm out diving for my enjoyment all to often I get that "extra diver who was looking for a buddy guy" Since this happens routinely I have the following attitude -

I do not believe that a instructor should ever let themselves not be a role model. Why would I change my diving and the presentation of it just because I am in the "Just another diver mode"

One from a business point of view it would be a poor way to gain new customers not to act responsibly. A dive instructor needs to be a professional all the way all the time.
Secondly an instructor really should not pass up the opportunity to demonstrate excellent diving practices and protocols. Instructors need to be mentors either directly when dealing with students or anytime within the public eye
Thirdly when it comes to the safety of diving an instructor should speak up and in a professional manner correct or attempt to correct the situation

NEVER PASS A FAULT
I agree.
Rick

TSandM:
Well, the thread came up as a result of the instructor who accompanied a group of divers without any advanced training on a bounce dive to 200 feet.

The instructor we were unhappy with had mocked us for doing a pre-dive equipment check, and had boasted of falsifying information on a dive log required by the ship.

All of these are behaviors I think are unprofessional. I'm sure people can come up with more. But I guess I'm getting at instructors who demonstrate behaviors when not teaching that they would find unacceptable if shown by their students.

EVERY time an Instructor dives h/s needs to "lead by example", even if it's not technically a "leadership situation". For example, I can't tell you the number of times we get a raised eyebrow when we perform our pre-dive safety check. Inevitably, the person who asks if we are new divers is surprised to find out we are seasoned Instructors. Ditto for other dive procedures, boat etiquette, etc. How do you think people learn in this sport? By EXAMPLE, of course!

Meanwhile, the Instructor you mention should be reported to his agency for unprofessional behaviour, esp if he was "bragging" about falsifying documentation. AAMOF, if he is PADI and you are PADI, you are REQUIRED by agency Standards to report this man.

Just my $0.02's worth :soapbox:

There are people who pass the instructor course and then there are people who are truly instructors. I have seen both.

The comment made in a previous that we are judged as a group by the actions of individuals is something I agree with entirely. On SB there are many, many, many different threads all discussing/arguing/debating the merits of one agency over another regarding standards and quality of instrution. To anyone not familiar with the multitude of SCUBA agencies when they hear a story such as this I bet they believe that all dive instructors are the same - recreational, technical, or commercial.

What truly gives me concern is the reference to "dive professional" that flows with someone obtaining the qualification of instructor. Professionals adhere to a code of standards of behaviour. Yes there are those folks who are qualified and ignore the standards to a great extent. To me these are the people who pass the course and not professionals by any definition.

I can't fault people who do not follow the standards 100% of the time. We all make mistkes and some foolish choices. If this is a consistent pattern of actions, well then I have to question whether an individual should even hold the qualification.

SCUBA is one of the few industries that I have seen where "professionals" are not required (note I said required) to maintain a qualification through continuing education or periodic re-certification requirements. Pass the course, pay an annual fee, retain the qualification. Sad, but true.

Instructors are always role models whether they like it or not. For this reason we should behave in a responsible professional manner at all times.

If instructors want to drink before & after dives, not do checks and behave in an unproffesional manner then it should be in their own time in the presence of people who do not know they are dive proffesionals. Perhaps a little solo diving without the right equipment may be good for them. These people are often just instructors to boost their own egos. Not someone I'd be diving with.

The "look at me I'm so cool instructor", this recreational stuff doesn't count for me because I know so much just shows what kind of a person, diver and instructor they are.

I'm not saying dive instructors need to be perfect at all times because we are human but we still need to maintain a professional manner at all times.

Hi all, sure are some interesting responses in this thread.

If you've done a good bit of instruction, it's very difficult to "get out of" the instructor mindset when you go diving. Not because you have an attitude and want to tell everyone what to do (at least that's not me), but instead because being responsible for the safety of others underwater really weighs on you and how you look at things.

Sooner or later when you do instruction, you will get into a situation where a student will have a "serious" problem. I won't bore everyone with stories about this, but I will tell you that it can scare the hell out of you. Especially when it's unexpected. Then, after the incident is over (safely, I would hope), you start "what-ifing" what you did. If you're smart, you learn from it and adjust accordingly.

But, it affects you. A few days later you see a similar situation occurring with other divers (you don't know them) on a non-instructional dive. Lots of the same factors are in place that lead to your previous "situation." What do you do?

The other thing that really bothered me when I did instruction was the "awe factor." The more "into" diving you get as an instructor and the more "experienced" you come across as to new divers, the more they model what you do. Instructors need to be REAL careful with this because it can have unintended consequences, especially when it comes to using more "technical" equipment and techniques. Combine that with a “cavalier” attitude toward safety, acting professional and being a responsible diver and the “silent” message you send to others can really be a problem. Just read some of the posts in this thread to see what I mean.

As far as an instructor doing what Lynne described, that's just unconscionable. I couldn't understand how even a young and inexperienced instructor could have such an attitude, especially if he was a member of my certifying agency.

The "balance" I achieved when I did instruction was the "low key" approach. If I saw something that REALLY bothered me, a potentially "serious" issue, I'd say something about it. Now that I've started diving again after a long absence, it's more difficult for me because I find myself second-guessing my "old" knowledge. Is it "appropriate" for today? Is stuff now done "that way?" Sometimes things will “ping” me and I’ll react strongly to them. For me, the advantage of ScubaBoard is to “see” and “read” the mindsets of others by what they discuss. It helps…

This topic has no easy answers...

The gang that has provided me with most of my training (5thd-x) are a cast of characters. In fact, I think they participate in their fair share of horse play. (Or is it seahorse play?) But when it comes to safety, they are always serious. I'll give you two specific examples:
- I was on a boat dive and the person I was paired with had dive plans that were different than the standard that Delia is accustomed to. So she asked my buddy to kindly adjust the plan so that be compliant with all of the rules for the charter. He was stubborn on one point. So she made it clear... if she found out that there was deviation from any of the rules, he would never be allowed on any of their charters again. Essentially, she intervened on my behalf. She was not instructing at the time.
- On at least half a dozen occassions, I have seen Joe lend a helping hand to diver doing their open water check out dives. I have never heard him say that he is an instructor or that he could teach them a better way. Just goes and does it and moves on to the next thing.

I think the great instructors quickly realize that they are always teaching and mentoring whether or not they are in class. And they choose to teach the right things.

TSandM:
This came up on another thread and tied in with a discussion we had this fall with a local instructor.

We had made a trip with him, and were unhappy with some of his behavior on the trip. His reponse was that, when he wasn't teaching, he was "just another diver", and he felt no responsibility to be a role model or to adhere to any code of behavior other than what would be expected from any other diver.

So I wondered if that attitude was common. Do those of you who instruct feel that, even when you are not actually engaged in formal teaching, you have a responsibility to set an example? For those of you who have done purely fun diving in the company of people who are known to be instructors, have you been surprised if they have not behaved professionally?

What kind of role modelling are we talking about? Would short surface intervals and starting with short tanks fall into that category? How about not using a snorkel? I think that some agencies prohibit using BP/W during class, but what about when the instructor is just doing fun dives? Where is that sharp line that divides black from white?

TSandM:
The instructor we were unhappy with had mocked us for doing a pre-dive equipment check, and had boasted of falsifying information on a dive log required by the ship.

All of these are behaviors I think are unprofessional. I'm sure people can come up with more. But I guess I'm getting at instructors who demonstrate behaviors when not teaching that they would find unacceptable if shown by their students.

Instructors who are there to enjoy a dive should not have to exhibit any special behavior, unless there is a rescue involved where I would expect them to do their best to lead or assist in that effort.

The things you list however are unacceptable for ANY diver, and less so for an instructor who is suppose to know better than most.

Falsifying a dive log is unethical and just wrong. Mocking other divers is rude, and uncalled for, unless you are diving with CBULLA and the FL Conchs! :D

I dive with instructors on a regular basis, and when they are NOT instructing I feel the need to allow them to enjoy the dive and NOT rely on them beyond the buddy role, or put them in an instructor role.

I dove with an instructor as an insta-buddy in the Keys. She was a bit hesitant to dive with me not knowing what to expect. I told her that we would relax, enjoy the dive, and I'd use less than 1000 lbs on the shallow reef, so no OOA worries. I think she was skeptical, but after 30 minutes into the dive she asked to see my spg, and at over 2500lbs her eyes widened, and we continued on.

After the dive she told me she mostly dives with students, and that our dive was the most relaxing and enjoyable dive she had so far in 2006. I think she really enjoyed having a buddy who treated her like any other diver, and after we were done she asked if I would like to join them (her hubby was also an instructor) next weekend.

Sadly I was leaving, but she gave me a card and her phone number, and said call us any time you get down to the keys. I think in this case the instructor discovered how much fun no stress diving is with someone who just treats her as a buddy.

Tough question, and I think the answer is it depends.

I think that it is a matter of perspective. Look around see who might be watching and learning and modify your behaviour accordingly. You and you long term buddy, nobody else watching and learning - anything goes, take whatever risks you feel comfortable with. Others that might be watching and learning - model a careful diver - just good business if nothing else. Others diving with you - lead by example - not doing so may cost you big time - you are responsible if you are way off the map and the others didn't know this in advance.

Was diving on a liveaboard over the summer and a pair of instructors were diving together. They managed to break a number of "rules" while diving. Went into deco, went OOA and had to use the tank hung on the safety bar, general horseplay that would be considered "unsafe" by most.

They were diving together and didn't encourage others to participate - so in my opinion were not a "role model" for anyone. Pretty childish, but they were having fun and no students or new divers were around so go for it. They were also pretty careful to ensure that we knew that they knew what they were doing was unsafe and not recommended. Wouldn't recommend either of them as instructors however.

That is one end of the spectrum, and I don't see any serious problem with their behaviour. On the other end of the spectrum is an instructor diving with a group or buddy that includes new divers, who don't know any better, doing exactly the same kind of things. Going into deco, beyond rec limits etc. - without making damn sure that the new divers understand exactly what the risks are that they are taking.

That is, if you are going to break the "rules", and you are diving with someone below your level of experience then as an instructor you better be really sure that that person is informed about and understands the risks they are about to take. If you don't then, by just being there you may be held responsible.

As for an "instructor" to ridicule you for doing safety/equipment checks that is just someone's ego getting in the way. Can be safely ignored and taken off your list of recommended instructors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom