Instructors - Agencies Split from overweight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Azza:
I understand that I am a customer but most businesses listen to their customers if enough of them bring enough pressure to bear...

My Dive club, the Southern Ocean Diving Society or S.O.D.S for short, is considering becoming a BSAC branch which will be the first in New Zealand.

BSAC in NZ, interesting.

SparticleBrane:
I suppose that since I'm not an instructor, I don't know how to read the standards?
Darn, guess I need to stop volunteering with classes then.

I've also noticed an attitude from some know-it-alls towards Divemasters. Like we have nothing to add at all unless we buy into the system and get the card. Why invite us into the instructor-to-instructor forums then? I think a benefit of helping out many different instructors is that we get to see things from a different perspective. I'm sorry but I've seen plenty of "Instructors" that are clueless and I'd never do any serious diving with them. Basically because all they know is pools and quarries and how to go through the motions. Real diving? Forget it. By the same token I know there are plenty of killer instructors around as well. And I'll still feel that way when and if I decide to become an instructor.

Azza:
I understand that I am a customer but most businesses listen to their customers if enough of them bring enough pressure to bear...

My Dive club, the Southern Ocean Diving Society or S.O.D.S for short, is considering becoming a BSAC branch which will be the first in New Zealand. The Padi rep has offered us cut price, and some FREE, materials to stay with the PADI system (this would enable us to pass the materials on to the students at normal cost and the club will make a profit that can go toward a number of club related things) so somewhere we have got PADI thinking. There are 5 instructors so far in our club...

We have also been involved in a spat with a local dive shop instructor who didnt like what he read on our forum or the fact we told a forum member to ask his instructor why he didnt get taught SAC rates on his PADI deep course, and has threatened to sue us (Despite the fact you cant sue in NZ) and get PADI to QA us. PADI basically told him to piss off that we were doing a good job with our students and why hadnt he taught SAC rates..........

It's funny you bring that up. Since I droped my PADI membership they have sent me letters offering me "deals" to renew. Apparently they think I left because I can't afford the dues or something LOL and it's never occured to them that I left because I don't think they know anything about dive training.

The blame lies in the agency, and how they let thier instructors teach. Diving as a whole has been dumbed up to a frightening level. Stand by for more diver issues in the future. We now have instructors teaching diving that have less than 500 dives in, most of them in ideallic conditions. They may have a load of book knowledge, but little practicle. Agencies let anyone that can lift gear onto themselves be certified, $$$ it's dollar driven to the agency. get em out the door! They make up the rules, and raise the fledgeling instructor to follow what they have been taught. There was a time when a 400 pound diver would not even be considdered for lessons. Hand holding throughout the process, get them to meet the minimal standards set forth, and get the money. What happens to them after they leave is thier problem.

RiverRat:
I've also noticed an attitude from some know-it-alls towards Divemasters. Like we have nothing to add at all unless we buy into the system and get the card. Why invite us into the instructor-to-instructor forums then?

They let anybody in there. They let me stay and I'm not even a DM anymore.:D

letsgodiving:
BSAC in NZ, interesting.
Its going to cause a ****storm but DILLIGAF :D

RiverRat:
I think a benefit of helping out many different instructors is that we get to see things from a different perspective. I'm sorry but I've seen plenty of "Instructors" that are clueless and I'd never do any serious diving with them. Basically because all they know is pools and quarries and how to go through the motions. Real diving? Forget it. By the same token I know there are plenty of killer instructors around as well. And I'll still feel that way when and if I decide to become an instructor.
This is why I decided to become and instructor. I used to bang my head against the wall with frustration after a lot of classes and my wife told me to either put up or shut up. So I put up. Not saying you should become an instructor, but the only way I see to make a difference is get in the driving seat.
Now I worked for a shop for a year or so and am now independant so I am truly in the drivers seat. Of course being an idependant I tend to only get the free thinkers anyway which works well...or maybe its just that I can teach how I want to teach nowadays...

To be fair I would say there are more automaton instructors out there...the ones who got taught to dive on their knees, and continue on blindly...than good instructors. The more good THINKING instructors we get in the industry the better...

MikeFerrara:
Apparently they think I left because I can't afford the dues or something LOL and it's never occured to them that I left because I don't think they know anything about dive training.
If all those that left for the same reason you did told PADI, they might actually start to think....oh...never mind

Azza:
To be fair I would say there are more automaton instructors out there...the ones who got taught to dive on their knees, and continue on blindly...than good instructors. The more good THINKING instructors we get in the industry the better...

Yes, and I'd sure like to see those thinking instructors require more from the agency before they send off their money.

If they aint paying money, the agency aint listening

Azza:
If all those that left for the same reason you did told PADI, they might actually start to think....oh...never mind

I did. I made several pretty good pitches. So good that the regional manager even stopped visiting our shop on his once/year tour through the area. LOL

In my experience PADI does NOT want critisism or suggestions when it comes to their "system".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom