Instructors - Agencies Split from overweight

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, Thalassamania joins a select crew on my "ignore" list.

THE Hammerhead:
lol, so he's right then.

I would think he's quite alright with being on your 'select' list, and in fact his last post is spot on.

Yep ... you're not allowed to say that the Emperor's naked until you've demonstrated conclusively that you're self delusional enough to see his clothes. Makes great sense.

lol

These are the reasons why I don't have much desire to become an instructor...:11:

You know, maybe I should. Maybe I should become an instructor, just so people will shut the hell up. "Oh, you're not an instructor, you don't know anything!" Most instructors I've seen, especially the recent grads, don't have the first darn clue how to dive. This is why I prefer to get instruction from people who have been diving (and preferably teaching) for decades...
I would much rather have story time, where each skill is described by a personal experience of the instructor, rather than "because the manual says so." For example, saying "I dive in environments where moving my hand too quickly to check my SPG results in huge silt clouds" is a fantastic argument for good trim, buoyancy, and situational awareness. Much better than "Because the manual says so" or even "What's trim? All we do is plop down on the bottom..."

Another thing that bugs me -- most recent instructors don't have experience in a variety of environments. They probably know the local quarry and maybe the ocean. Most likely haven't been anywhere else.

Some people will call what I just posted elitist, and that's fine. I don't believe it's elitist, I just believe it's the truth. Sometimes, the truth hurts.

That's too bad. I've found his posts to always be spot on and informative. You are passing up a good chance to listen to a wealth of experience...

Steve R:
lol, so he's right then.

I would think he's quite alright with being on your 'select' list, and in fact his last post is spot on.

lol
Not the IGNORE LIST! Please don't throw me in that briar patch. How ever will I survive?

It's sort of like Mark Twain said, "heaven for climate ... hell for company."

Hey guys, just a thought but before a mod comes in and shuts this down or whatever; can we not all take a deep breathe, leave it for a bit, then perhaps get back on topic? just a thought :ne_nau:

Steve R:
lol, so he's right then.

lol

Good Lord, another one.

Read my original post: -

I'm not sure which is more depressing, the death that - after all - started this thread, or the fact that this has devolved into an argument about semantics / being quoted out of context / being misquoted / misunderstanding certifying agencies processes etc. etc . etc add ****ing nauseum.

I eagerly await your contribution. And Spartacle's. I could do with a laugh.

This is about a fatality, not your dislike for me - or what I post - or vice versa.

Missdirected:
Hey guys, just a thought but before a mod comes in and shuts this down or whatever; can we not all take a deep breathe, leave it for a bit, then perhaps get back on topic? just a thought :ne_nau:

Fair enough, MIss.

That said, I think this has strayed so far from the start that this thread is little - if no - value whatsoever.

Apologies to anyone I've annoyed.

33 pages of speculation, theory, second guessing and argument.

The participants will move onto other debates in other threads and in time, it will fade and be forgotten. Yet, at the end, there is one less diver in the world and two children will grow up with only a memory of their mother.

My deepest condolences to the family and friends of the victim.

shadragon:
33 pages of speculation, theory, second guessing and argument.

The participants will move onto other debates in other threads and in time, it will fade and be forgotten. Yet, at the end, there is one less diver in the world and two children will grow up with only a memory of their mother.

My deepest condolences to the family and friends of the victim.

S, this we know. Right now we are all taking a break (I think), this only continues it rolling. That said, I have started a condolences thread, please post in it if you would like.

SparticleBrane:
These are the reasons why I don't have much desire to become an instructor...:11:

You know, maybe I should. Maybe I should become an instructor, just so people will shut the hell up. "Oh, you're not an instructor, you don't know anything!"
If you are quoting me I didnt ask that for that reason. I was a DM for 5 years before I became an instructor...and most of the time I was a DM I had no inclination to be an instructor.
I dont give a **** if someone is an instructor or not, but if someone is busy slagging off the standards and other instructors, and generally shaking their head about the poor quality of training these days then I expect them to step up to the mark, become an instructor and try to MAKE A DIFFERENCE.

Otherwise you are not helping are you?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom