Instructor to instructor communication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in fact we don't have a forum either open or closed to worry about yet. Keep your input coming though as we are also discussing this, er, "behind the scenes". :tease:

willanz once bubbled...
I have to tell you about a student that showed up to class with stainless steel suicide bolt snaps.
[...]
So...Student...How does it feel being talked about on an internet forum?

Don't make me destroy your GUE dreams by posting that picture with the bright shiny Dive Rite sticker!

Would you rather read this stuff or have it kept in a secret place?

Personally I'm all for reading the stuff... as how many problems are unique to a single student? If another student with a similar problem can benefit; then that's good... right?

However since I'm not an instructor, and I'm not certain what sort of issues come up that would incur discussions in the forum, so I'm respectively staying out of the conversation....

Regarding MHK's and williamz's example.

What if by seeing this here, weather its personal embarrasment or learning from others, no need to put a name on the student, It helps some of us from making these mistakes in class. Would'nt we then have more class time devoted to work on other aspects that can only be learned by practice with quick and direct instructor feedback?

I think you guys may also be concerned about potential students here taking your tips and trying them out on their own, thereby not taking a class. A valid concern. But the smart student will realize that there is a lot of additional information a good class provides. In addition to the necessity for proffesional feedback in order to ascertain correct technique and to prevent unrecognize wrong behavior from engraining itself.

Scuba once bubbled...

I think you guys may also be concerned about potential students here taking your tips and trying them out on their own, thereby not taking a class. A valid concern. But the smart student will realize that there is a lot of additional information a good class provides.

Scuba,

While I think a very minor part of the concern is about giving the class away, for me it isn't that big of a concern. I mean we put our video's out for free and I can't tell you how many private e-mails a day I receive.. For me it's about a teaching principle called the law of effect.. And it basically says that it you demonstrate the skill in such a manner that it will *effect* the student it's more likely they'll remember it. The most extreme and demosntrative example I can give you is trying your child not to touch the scolding hot stove, well an extreme example would be that if he actually put his hand on the stive well he would have very effectively learned why NOT to do that.. Well, to a lesser extent I like to create *problems* for my students which will *effectively* achieve the desired result.. So my concern would be that by reading it on the net, they could prepare for the *problem* simply to pass the class, much like my example about the isolator valve..

Those are just my thoughts, but I'm new here so I'm open for suggestions..

Later

Scuba once bubbled...
What if by seeing this here, weather its personal embarrasment or learning from others, no need to put a name on the student, It helps some of us from making these mistakes in class. Would'nt we then have more class time devoted to work on other aspects that can only be learned by practice with quick and direct instructor feedback?
HI Scuba,
My read on what your asking is the entire board is available for your use to get instructor feedback. There are a lot instructors on here who will not hesitate in giving you an honest answer to any question or concern. You may have noticed there are a lot of different answers given by different instructors to same question. Heck, it gets confusing to some of us instructors, so i can only imagine how confusing it must get for less experienced divers.

We are trying to carve out a small niche on this board where instructors can go to discuss controversial topics, without airing the wrong stuff in front of newer divers or students. I also agree fully with what MHK is saying. A test would not be much of a test if you already knew what the questions and answers are.

Please feel free to Pm me and i would be happy to explain this further

I think I'm inclined to change my mind. Perhaps there is much value in a private forum for instructor communication. The real issue is how to spread your posting time so that you are still able to contribute significantly to the public parts of the forum.

Exclusive and private is still ugly, but maybe necessary.

I am not against a closed forum for instructors. You have all pointed out legitimate concerns. I guess that in my own selfish way I would like to have the opportunity to gain from observing the discussions about teaching and learning methods. As I do get tips from watching this take place in the open forums now. I am sure some of it will continue in the open forums. I am certainly greatful to what I think is the BEST scubaboard out there.

DiverBuoy once bubbled...
I think I'm inclined to change my mind. Perhaps there is much value in a private forum for instructor communication. The real issue is how to spread your posting time so that you are still able to contribute significantly to the public parts of the forum.

Exclusive and private is still ugly, but maybe necessary.
I hear what your saying Diverbuoy but i think students and newer divers in general will benefit from the things such a forum might produce. Private may sound ugly but i honestly believe such a forum would be a more productive use of our time if only trained professionals were able to participate at some level. I'm really trying hard not sound pompous or all knowing here because i certainly don't feel that way, but i've seen, and i suppose have caused, topics to go flying in all directions because of a basic lack of knowledge of what is being discussed.

As i said earlier, student/newer diver input at some point would be absolutely essential, however i don't believe the beginning of some discussions is the right place for that.

I sincerely apologize if that thought offends some people as the original intent of starting this was to help divers in general and share and modify the information developed in such a forum with all divers.

Scuba once bubbled...
I am not against a closed forum for instructors. You have all pointed out legitimate concerns. I guess that in my own selfish way I would like to have the opportunity to gain from observing the discussions about teaching and learning methods. As I do get tips from watching this take place in the open forums now. I am sure some of it will continue in the open forums. I am certainly greatful to what I think is the BEST scubaboard out there.
Scuba, if i haven't said it, i think you are making some excellent points here. Maybe the moderators could set the forum up in such a way that there could be an instructor only area, not unlike that secret place they go to talk about us all behind our backs.:wink:

Gotta fly for now, have a great nite! :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom