instructor tip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xtarheel

Reaction score
My wife finally decided to join me and become a certified diver. Tomorrow is her final OW dive. Her instructor is excellent. He has the patience of a saint. I would like to give him a tip and was wondering what was appropriate. A gift cirrtificate from the shop he works out of? Or, some good old cash? What is standard? Thanks

Ohhh... bad joke!

I would NOT give him a certificate from the shop he works out of. Maybe from a nice restaurant or give him a nice plaque or letter and MAKE SURE you let the LDS know how valuable he is. Giving a gift certificate from the shop would be like giving kitchen appliances to your wife for her birthday or your anniversary. :tease:

I once had a married couple give me a nice bottle of Scotch after the class had graduated. I thought that was very nice sense most people never tipped me anything.

Scott

What a great idea - a bottle of scotch. I had a customer who used to give everyone in the office a bottle of scotch for Christmas. We all gave him a nice thank you card, then we all looked around for someone who drinks that vile fluid. None of us drink scotch. I'm in a different office this year so I won't be looking for a way to dispose of yet another bottle of scotch. I have one still in the pantry (unopened) from a couple of years ago. It's a nice thought, but everyone doesn't drink scotch.

You know Walter, it's smartasses like you that make this board suck as bad as it does. The bottle of Scotch was ment as a suggestion of something nice to do for someone, not as a rule implying that everyone loves Scotch. Personally, I can't stand the stuff either but for someone to think enough of me as an Instructor to give me something at all when, as I said, most people never tip their Instructor in the first place, I thought it was great. And I appreciated it thank you very much.

In the future if you wouldn't mind keeping your smartassed comments to yourself I, and I'm sure many more, would appreciate that as well.

Scott

you have specific reason to expect that your instructor would appreciate something else.

I too have been in the position of finding alternate uses for scotch, whiskey, beer, rum, and more. Maybe I should just open up my own bar! :wink: The thought was always appreciated, but I would have put a 12 pack of Sprite to more practical use.

Drew,

You're exactly right. Something other then Scotch would have been nice, but IMHO, it's the thought that counts.

Maybe I should have been less specific and just said "They gave me a bottle of expensive liquor" instead. :)

Scott

just kidding but you are right padipro,its the thought that counts..it was nice of them to offer a token of appreciation...they must have been pleased with your instruction..:)

Maybe an online gift certificate for amazon.com or barnes and noble would be appropriate. I've seen people give starbucks cards to instructors as well.

Mel

Back
Top Bottom