Instructor Pay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Remember that if your class is large enough, the instructor is assisted by an assistant instructor or divemaster. If you think instructor pay is poor, imagine what the AI or DM gets. It can be next to nothing.

For all of you taking classes, keep this in mind when the class ends and you are wondering about tipping protocols. In many a case, a student tipping a DM or AI what they think is a reasonable percentage has just given that person more than they were actually paid.

Our AI's get 12.50 per student and that doesn't cover their gas expenses.

I get an occasional tip and at times it's been large but usually tipping doesn'thappen.

And I thought we got paid like crap in Canada (tho no tips). I've never done the per session thing, so here's what I got for the whole course:

$100 / OW student + $25 if I upgraded them to learning in a drysuit (store charged $100)

$75 / AOW + $25 if upsold to drysuit + regular fee if upsold to specialty course

$100 / rescue + $25 if upsold to drysuit + regular fee if upsold to specialty (like O2 first aid, marine life injuries, etc.)

$150 / divemaster + regular fee if upsold to specialty (like equipment, EFR Instructor)

I don't think these would be average for Vancouver, but the store was practically guaranteed a drysuit upgrade ($100) boat upgrade ($75) and specialty upgrade for AOW and higher, + gear sales...

But then again, no tips....

We get $60 per certification card issued. Tipping is infrequent, but good dive buddies are worth more than a cash tip.

DM's and AI's are not reimbursed except by the instructors generosity. This generally involves free instruction and occasionaly gear gifts.

The shop does covers fills for instructors and DM's.

Best case this is about 20% of my day job hourly rate. Usually it's closer to 10%. Needless to say I'll be keeping the day job.

Ok here I just came back in from cleaning the 52ft boat, Mercedes, and paying the gardner. So the store I teach at breaks down the pay this way.

Course fee: 100%
Store keep: -30% for student gear use, air, classroom space and overhead, ect..
Instructor : =70% Instructor pays for, pool fees, cert card, dives which can and/or be lake, beach, boat and provide insurance with store/shop, pool and other facilities we work during the classes. We are responsable for the equipment to and from the sites (this equipment is in a inclosed trailer) and we fill all the tanks. We are treated as part time employees, which includes discounted gear purchases (for personal use only), and a not signed, but agreed on that we will use equipment that the store sells. We also must use that equipment during all classes and events. But we do sign an agreement stating that we will not remove or take any customers away from the store to teach independently, meaning customers coming in signing up there. I know that it cant work in all areas but this helps take the burden off the store. One check writen from store owner. Also we are independent instructors, and are 1099'd (taxes). I have worked at 2 facilities that do this and it seems to keep both sides happy.

Just my 2 cents worth
scu_ba_doo

Now Uncle Rickey

You know the pay comes in job satisfaction.

Job satisfaction is priceless.

But I agree, you can't eat it and it won't keep you dry when it rains.

mynitrox:
Now Uncle Rickey

You know the pay comes in job satisfaction.

Job satisfaction is priceless.

But I agree, you can't eat it and it won't keep you dry when it rains.

Right..
and it can't read stock quotes
and it doesn't know when the car needs tuning
and it can't replace hair loss
and......ahhhh you get the idea!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom