Instructor Pay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pgdive

Contributor
Reaction score
I am trying to get some feedback on what the average instructor pay rate is for the following classes

Open Water class and pool

Open Checkout dives

Advanced Open Water

Rescue

Any other classes that you might teach.

Specifically I am looking for instructors that work in the US, in markets other than FL. I am particularly interested in instructors who work around major cities, where the cost of living is high.

I am a shop owner and I want to make sure what we are paying is competitive.

Thanks

Paul

I cannot contribute to the pay(not at that level) but I think this is a good question for somebody who is looking at getting there instructors certification also.

I don't think this is a good question for the whole board. I think it would be better off in the instructors only area.

JMHO,

TwoBit

TwoBitTxn:
I don't think this is a good question for the whole board. I think it would be better off in the instructors only area.

JMHO,

TwoBit

Sounds like you'll make a good moderator one day. Can't wait.

Come on now. Don't you think we all should know how much these overpaid beach bums get????

(I am joking about the overpaid part... I have seen several instructors cars...)

In Texas I was paid $50 per student for OW. That includes all the pool, class room and open water check out. In Hawaii I was offered $25 per student for pool, class room and open water check outs. At that money it was to hard to keep my heart in it so I am not teaching at the moment. For advanced classes you make about twice as much while doing half the work.

Where I live instructors get paid about 1/2 of minimum wage. The only professional instructors I know of here also own diveshops.

R..

on average (in Euro) for OW i get €35 per pool session, €20 per classroom session, €35 per OW dive.

So dependeing on whats required for each course, i get paid accordingly.

But in resorts its totally different, its possible to get bonuses for selling con ed courses too.

But I agree with Txn, this is prob better in the I2I forum.

SF

I get paid a flat rate (i.e. not per student). That is great when I only have a few students, but we know that dive shop owners love to cram as many students into a class as possible. For classroom/pool I get $350 for the six week version and $200 for the weekend version. For OW dives I get $185. AOW I get about $200 and Rescue I get about $250. I get about $50 for specialties.

Don't give up your regular job...
Rick :)

Back
Top Bottom