Instructor Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fitparrish

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am moving along towards my instructor certification. I want to try to make a living at this (doesn't have to be a huge one), and was wondering if anybody had any input.

I am looking for input on where to get certified, which agency (PADI, NAUI, etc) and any other helpful insights you might have. I have looked at some of the IDS schools in Florida and Mexico and some of the resort ones guarantee you a job with them when you finish? Anybody have any experience with that? I wouldn't mind living in Mexico or the DR for a couple of years if that is what it takes.

I know PADI is the most widely recognized, but it seems that NAUI has some very good points as well. I was told you can get cross-certified easily anyway.

Let me know what you have experienced!

I am moving along towards my instructor certification. I want to try to make a living at this (doesn't have to be a huge one), and was wondering if anybody had any input.

I am looking for input on where to get certified, which agency (PADI, NAUI, etc) and any other helpful insights you might have. I have looked at some of the IDS schools in Florida and Mexico and some of the resort ones guarantee you a job with them when you finish? Anybody have any experience with that? I wouldn't mind living in Mexico or the DR for a couple of years if that is what it takes.

I know PADI is the most widely recognized, but it seems that NAUI has some very good points as well. I was told you can get cross-certified easily anyway.

Let me know what you have experienced!
You will most likely find that instruction suppliments your income, rather than making a living via instruction...

Do it because you love to teach and love the water. You will never have a bad experience that way.... Good luck!

Are you teaching? If so, what kind of certification do you have?

I am doing it for the exact reasons you mentioned, just wondering what other people's experiences were and if there was a way to make a little something...

You are going to need a litle more than 24 dives to become an instructor homes....But good luck and have fun doing it.

I'm a NASE Instructor - Trainer. We are similar to PADI in format but much more flexible in structure. You can mold your classes to fit most any student's abilities or time schedule. I've been with NASE since 1998. I formerly taught thru PADI, NASDS & MDEA. I like NASE the best since I'm an independent and NASE is very "independent friendly".

I also teach thru HSAI

For NASE, you need to have 100 logged dives and 2 years experience. Also 30% of your dives have to be ocean dives

Joe

What if it is 29 %???Ha ha ha:rofl3::rofl3:

I would suggest working in a dive shop and teaching at the same time as many students or potential students you will meet in the dive shop. After retiring from the Space Program I became an instructor and I work in a dive shop. Teaching is always a suppliment to my dive shop job. Only advice is rack up as many instructor ratings as possible. Both specialties and DAN certifications. This will increase your usability to instructing.

I'm not an instructor ( hell I'm not even sure I can spell it right ) but I have to put in a good word for NAUI. It is my understanding that they are the only organization used by NASA because they are no profit. That being the case there is alwaysthe possibility of getting some type of diving gig with them or some other government agency.

I hope you don't mind losing a little weight.....:rofl3:

But seriously, Seashadow is on the mark.

Ty

I'm not an instructor ( hell I'm not even sure I can spell it right ) but I have to put in a good word for NAUI. It is my understanding that they are the only organization used by NASA because they are no profit. That being the case there is alwaysthe possibility of getting some type of diving gig with them or some other government agency.

NASA is currently accepting applications for NBL divers according to NAUI's web site. :palmtree: Bob

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom