Instructor Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have made a pretty good living teaching diving for over 15 years, and know quite a few others that have also. If you like teaching, like people and love diving go for it... Those who say you can't make a living at this haven't applied themselves or put limitations on themselves that prevented it. Mostly if you want to make a living at this you have to live where there is lots of diving, so it may require relocation.

The insurance is the big thing... As an independent instructor, you want the best... LLoyds of London has never settled... That is why they are the best, and that is why they are still in business.... Lawyers hear that you are insured through LLoyds of London and they instruct their clients duly...

Do they insure Dive Masters ?

II am looking for input on where to get certified, which agency (PADI, NAUI, etc)

The agency you choose will determine what you can or cannot do with regard to being independent vs shop affiliated. Most allow independent instructors, but SSI, for example, does not. It will also determine under what standards you are working. Standards vary greatly from one agency to another. Some require lots of skills, other do not. Some allow you to add requirements to your class, others do not. Some have a very rigid structure, other allow their instructors more flexibility. All of these factors can be seen as an agency's philosophy of their approach to teaching people to dive. While there are very strong opinions as to which approach is best, the important thing is to certify through an agency whose philosophy more closely matches your own.

Personally, I like lots of freedom to teach skills in the order I think best, I like to be able to add requirements to my classes, I like high standards. For these reasons, I chose to be a YMCA SCUBA Instructor. I felt we were a very good match. Your philosophy may differ, go with what's best for you.

The agency you choose will determine what you can or cannot do with regard to being independent vs shop affiliated. Most allow independent instructors, but SSI, for example, does not. It will also determine under what standards you are working. Standards vary greatly from one agency to another. Some require lots of skills, other do not. Some allow you to add requirements to your class, others do not. Some have a very rigid structure, other allow their instructors more flexibility. All of these factors can be seen as an agency's philosophy of their approach to teaching people to dive. While there are very strong opinions as to which approach is best, the important thing is to certify through an agency whose philosophy more closely matches your own.

Personally, I like lots of freedom to teach skills in the order I think best, I like to be able to add requirements to my classes, I like high standards. For these reasons, I chose to be a YMCA SCUBA Instructor. I felt we were a very good match. Your philosophy may differ, go with what's best for you.
I am finding that out. I never realized there were so many certification agencies! Obviously I knew about the big ones (NAUI, PADI) but I didn't realize there were so many others. I am also seeing how much the cirriculum can vary too. I am now AOW with PADI and getting my rescue diver with NAUI. The NAUI course seems very well developed and comprehensive.

I am finding that out. I never realized there were so many certification agencies! Obviously I knew about the big ones (NAUI, PADI) but I didn't realize there were so many others. I am also seeing how much the cirriculum can vary too. I am now AOW with PADI and getting my rescue diver with NAUI. The NAUI course seems very well developed and comprehensive.

Who are you doing your rescue with? Which shop? I am looking to get rescue as well and I am looking for a shop to do it through.

I'm doing YMCA in the spring. May actually. Right now I'm doing a crossover from PADI DM to NAUI and YMCA. My NAUI tech instructor is also a YMCA IT. The cost is significantly less than PADI. IMO the standards are higher, independents are supported and many colleges, schools, and yes YMCA's have scuba programs and hold YMCA instructors in high regard. For me it makes sense. Later I can cross over to naui as I like the Naui Tech program and would like to teach it. Regardlless of which agency you need to ask yourself what is the best fit for me. What are my standards? Does the agency share them? Is the instructor trainer good for me? Just a few thoughts.

I'm doing YMCA in the spring. May actually. Right now I'm doing a crossover from PADI DM to NAUI and YMCA. My NAUI tech instructor is also a YMCA IT. The cost is significantly less than PADI. IMO the standards are higher, independents are supported and many colleges, schools, and yes YMCA's have scuba programs and hold YMCA instructors in high regard. For me it makes sense. Later I can cross over to naui as I like the Naui Tech program and would like to teach it. Regardlless of which agency you need to ask yourself what is the best fit for me. What are my standards? Does the agency share them? Is the instructor trainer good for me? Just a few thoughts.

Good points. I am checking it all out. As I said before, NAUI seems to have a very in-depth program. I'm thinking of continuing with it. My NAUI instructor is also YMCA and he seems to really know his stuff.

I am working with Tampa Adventure Sports. Bert is a good guy and he is NAUI and YMCA.

Ed

If you don't mind me asking. What is the price tag? I can't seem to get the schedule worked out with my local dive shopso I am starting to shop around for the class.

im a CMAS instructor . but hav worked in OZ as an instructor with PADI .

Id recomend PADI . even though there system is heavily flawled . Its the one to go for .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom