Installing an AI Transmitter and SPG hose on the same first stage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm a huge Shearwater fanboy, but I have to say, if putting the transmitter a few inches further from the DC makes the difference between it working and it not, then that just reinforces my own experience with WAI not being very reliable!

IME, it's the difference between working 100% vs every now and then (only very occasionally) you hold your computer up to see tank pressure and notice that it's not reading it right when you look, but it pops up onto the display within 1/2 a second or so and you might even wonder "did I imagine that?"

OK. I guess if anyone is going to do WAI correctly, it's Shearwater...! :)

Well, to be honest, my Perdix AI uses the same transmitter as my Oceanic Atom. When it comes to the actual AI part, I think the Oceanic works better. However, it's nothing Shearwater can't fix in firmware - if they ever bother.

I used to keep a backup SPG on my first stage with the scubapro transmitter. After a year or two of that, I removed the SPG. Fact is, even when the transmitter occasionally loses connection it's no big deal. If I ever had it crap out completely, I've got a good enough idea how much gas is in the tank that it wouldn't be that big of a deal. End the dive early, fix it on the boat.. or put the SPG back on if necessary (I keep it in my sad bag).

Having one less hose protruding from your first stage is nicer than it may sound. If you get an air2 type device, you can get it down to just two hoses.

Actually, now that I'm diving with a pony I might be tempted to just end the dive based on time and switch to pony if I estimated gas consumption wrong and ran out before surfacing.

Clearly not!!

While SW may be good they're not perfect

SB'ers like to rubbish Suunto but their TX work. No drop outs EVER on the Eon no matter how or where I configure the pods TX (a combined total of my wife and mine of 900 dives on the Eon.)

Back to SPG, I'm kinda old fashioned and still keep an SPG on all my rigs, not because I need redundancy but for teh two following reasons

1. When I put my gear together and test it, I use my SPG, my computer is generally in the box
2. When I test gear prior to jumping, I always watch the spg. Call it tradition or call it muscle memory but my SPG stays

The chances of my SPG failing in such away I would need to call teh dive, are so small it's not worth worrying about

Clearly not!!

SB'ers like to rubbish Suunto but their TX work. No drop outs EVER on the Eon no matter how or where I configure the pods TX (a combined total of my wife and mine of 900 dives on the Eon.)

Back to SPG, I'm kinda old fashioned and still keep an SPG on all my rigs, not because I need redundancy but for teh two following reasons

1. When I put my gear together and test it, I use my SPG, my computer is generally in the box
2. When I test gear prior to jumping, I always watch the spg. Call it tradition or call it muscle memory but my SPG stays

The chances of my SPG failing in such away I would need to call the dive, are so small it's not worth worrying about

I'm a huge Shearwater fanboy, but I have to say, if putting the transmitter a few inches further from the DC makes the difference between it working and it not, then that just reinforces my own experience with WAI not being very reliable!

I’ll have to try it out.
In addition to the transmitter being mounted on the opposite side I had to remove the strain boots from the two LP hoses for it to even screw in.

Clearly not!!

Maybe Suunto has improved a lot, but I used to dive a Vyper air and the WAI was terrible. Has nothing to do with SB, just my experience.

As I usually mention in these threads, there's a bit of a statistical issue with these reports. For a piece of dive equipment, a 10% failure rate would be completely unacceptable. But it it was a 10% by unit failure rate, that means that 90% of the people using it (thousands of people) would swear that it was perfect and never failed. So if you got a good Eon, you could do 9000 dives and never have a problem. That doesn't mean that no one else has...

Put the computer on the right wrist so you can operate you BC and still watch the computer for depth and ascent rate.

If you are a right handed person which I am assuming then isn't it awkward operating your Perdix with your left hand?

Back
Top Bottom