Installing an AI Transmitter and SPG hose on the same first stage.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What were you proven right about?

If it's the recall, do you know the real reason behind the failure?

The recall was due to something in the case failing, but my real reason for advocating against them was because the technology used for transmitting has proven less reliable than the PPS design. Unsure what the upgrade process is for them, but I'm wondering if the case may also have had interference problems with signal transmission since they are super picky about orientation.
Either way, no way you will see me advocate for them

As you know, I only use the Eon. I can tell you that there are no transmission problems, I can even pick up my wife's TX from a distance. No fade out no signal drop offs. I happen to have ours on a short hose, but this is really for protection from boat crews than to aid transmission

The failure, you are correct was the outer case. It's a one time only part. A new case is supplied along with Oring for battery replacement. It appears, that the failure was cause when someone flooded their TX, took teh top off to dry it, and then replaced it over tightening the screws. this causes a small crack and of course when pressure was applies it went pop.

The new cast has been modified, and a HP spool used as a restrictor - Not really Suunto's fault as you can't make things fully idiot proof

Put the computer on the right wrist so you can operate you BC and still watch the computer for depth and ascent rate.

Hi @Flycaster

Don't make it too complicated. I dive a VT3 on my left wrist, have a SPG on my left HP port and my PPS transmitter on my right HP port. It all works perfectly. I don't use my inflator hose to vent, only my butt dump, which happens to be on the right (Knighthawk and an Outlaw).

Shearwater telling you to put a HP hose on there for an SPG is a CYOA disclaimer, nothing more. If you don't have a mission specific dive that you absolutely can't call in the event of a transmitter failure, leave the HP hose on the deck with an adjustable wrench. If your transmitter fails, call the dive and put the HP hose on before the next one
True - I'm sure it's a liability disclaimer. However, if you just keep an SPG connected in addition to the AI transmitter as they advise, there is no need to ever call a dive if a transmitter fails.

True - I'm sure it's a liability disclaimer. However, if you just keep an SPG connected in addition to the AI transmitter as they advise, there is no need to ever call a dive if a transmitter fails.
Absolutely correct. Of course, if your AI computer fails, you need a backup computer too :). I dive an AI computer, backup computer, and SPG. In 1000 dives, I have needed just the SPG once. I have needed the backup computer and SPG once.

Also, if you are ever in the unfortunate position of doing a rescue where you are bringing a diver to the surface, having your computer on your right wrist will allow you to see it and monitor your depth while you are using your right hand to hold the other diver's reg in their mouth (and using your left hand to control buoyancy).

Just my opinion, based on my own limited personal experience: If you replace the transmitter battery per the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, you are more likely to have to call a dive because of a leak or blowout from an SPG than from having a transmitter fail. In other words, if you have an AI transmitter (at least, a PPS one, like is used with Shearwater, Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis, AquaLung, and Tusa), you are increasing your chances of having to call a dive when you add an SPG, rather than decreasing your chances. At best, I think it's a wash, so I would (and do) do just as tbone said - have an SPG with me but leave it on the boat.

Besides, on a non-deco dive, I probably wouldn't call my dive just based on a transmitter failure anyway. I know my consumption well enough that I could end my dive based on running out of NDL knowing that I still have plenty of gas left. However, that is based on me mostly doing deeper dives where NDLs are relatively short. If I were doing a shallow reef dive, I know I would run out of gas before I ran out of NDL. Even then, I would do some math in my head and probably continue my dive for a while anyway. AI failure is a lot less likely to result in gas loss than an SPG failure. So, AI failure is a lot less likely to make ME end a dive early.

Just my opinion, based on my own limited personal experience: If you replace the transmitter battery per the manufacturer's maintenance schedule, you are more likely to have to call a dive because of a leak or blowout from an SPG than from having a transmitter fail. In other words, if you have an AI transmitter (at least, a PPS one, like is used with Shearwater, Oceanic, Aeris, Hollis, AquaLung, and Tusa), you are increasing your chances of having to call a dive when you add an SPG, rather than decreasing your chances. At best, I think it's a wash, so I would (and do) do just as tbone said - have an SPG with me but leave it on the boat...

Unless the SPG develops a brisk leak, you're OK. In over 7 years/1000 dives, one transmitter failure, saved by the SPG, one AI computer failure, saved by SPG and backup computer, and one SPG failure, not dive ending, removed between dives. Your mileage may vary.

I'm a huge Shearwater fanboy, but I have to say, if putting the transmitter a few inches further from the DC makes the difference between it working and it not, then that just reinforces my own experience with WAI not being very reliable!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom