Installation of a bulkhead connector for a BZ400 undersuit question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AJMcc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello,
I have a Santi E.lite dry suit and have recently purchased the BZ400 heated under suit and a bulkhead connector. My question is regarding the install of the bulkhead connector on the Apeks valve, I am wondering how you run the suit side power cable through the valve? Do you drill a hole in the valves rear cover?
Or is there a different cover required for the Apeks valve when installing the bulkhead to heat a suit?

I contacted customer service at the factory with this question and have not received a reply to date.

Thanks,

There are three types of cord 'pass through' fittings for drysuits. All are usually 'extra purchase' items available when you buy the heated vest.

The simplest is an add-on bulkhead ring that fits between the suit inflator and the suit. You remove the inflator, add the bulkhead ring, then reinstall the inflator. Usually there are o-rings to facilitate removal down the road. Advantage - easy to install. Disadvantage - moves the inflator about 1 in further out from the suit.

The second is a replacement inflator with the cord installed and properly waterproofed (you need a fitting called a gland). Done at the factory it's water tight and works very well. You simply remove the current inflate valve and replace it with the new valve with cord. Pro- easy to install. Con - often much more expensive than the bulkhead ring.

Third option is a dedicated cord bulkhead. You poke a hole in the suit and glue in the bulkhead (comes with a backing nut to secure it). Pro - easy. Con - now your suit has a permanent cord bulkhead. Bummer if you change suits (now the old suit has a hole or you buy a new cord & bulkhead for the new suit). Cheapest option usually.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but your post implies you have a vest and a cable, no current way to get it through the suit. So you need one of the above bulkheads to get the cord through the suit. Correct?

If not, please post photos of what you have.

Hello sunnyboy,
Thanks for that detailed reply, I think you might have read my post a bit differently than what I wrote though.
It is a bit hard to describe, I have just deleted the last two attempts in this reply and am adding a few pictures that I think will do
a better job than I ever will. IMG_6974[4458].JPG IMG_6975[4459].JPG IMG_6979[4463].JPG IMG_6977[4461].JPG

As you can see in the first picture, the cable comes through the center of the bulkhead and not out of the side like the "water side" cable. The second picture you can see the inlet valve's inside threaded cover and the size of the plug that needs to pass through it. My question is: do I drill a large hole in that threaded inside cover to pass the cord/plug through or is there a different inside cover that accommodates the cord/plug?

What I really need to see is a picture of a suit interior with a factory installed heater bulkhead to see who they run the interior cable through the rear cover of the valve.

Again, thanks for your reply I do really appreciate the help. (Nothing but crickets from Santi).

OK, Got it. You have the 'add on' bulkhead I described, where you take off the inflator and install the bulkhead between inflator and suit.

I also see what you mean... I had a good look at your photos, and it looks like the cap IS the inside nut. On an Apex inflator (like on my suits), the cap is a separate piece that snaps off and the nut can be used without the cap.

I guess in your case you WILL need to drill a hold into the cap big enough to get that connector through, then install on the suit. I'd see if you could buy a spare end cap from Santi (or whoever makes the inflator) so you can 'put it back the way it was' if you sell the suit without the vest or move the vest to another suit.

OK, Got it. You have the 'add on' bulkhead I described, where you take off the inflator and install the bulkhead between inflator and suit.

I also see what you mean... I had a good look at your photos, and it looks like the cap IS the inside nut. On an Apex inflator (like on my suits), the cap is a separate piece that snaps off and the nut can be used without the cap.

I guess in your case you WILL need to drill a hold into the cap big enough to get that connector through, then install on the suit. I'd see if you could buy a spare end cap from Santi (or whoever makes the inflator) so you can 'put it back the way it was' if you sell the suit without the vest or move the vest to another suit.

sunnyboy,

I did not know that Apeks had a back cover with no plate. I agree with your conclusion, I will need to drill a hole for access.
Still, would like to see a factory installed version to see exactly how they do it.
Again, thanks for your input, appreciated.

My bulkhead came with a ring nut to screw on the back and a piece that snaps on the back and over the cord on the inside to protect it.

Did you buy yours new or used as there should be 2 other pieces to it?

My bulkhead came with a ring nut to screw on the back and a piece that snaps on the back and over the cord on the inside to protect it.

Did you buy yours new or used as there should be 2 other pieces to it?

Hi jack hammer
Yes I bought it new just at a different time than my suit. Surprised to hear that there is a different rear cover. Would you be able to post a picture of it so I have something to reference when speaking to the store that I purchased the gear from.

Thanks

@ajmcc

Should look like this...

Attachments

• 20170123_115258.jpg
    20170123_115258.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 458
  • 20170123_115258.jpg
    20170123_115258.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 438
  • 20170123_115158.jpg
    20170123_115158.jpg