Inside or out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Coztick

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone else prefer to wrap their tank bungee from the inside rather than the outside? Every example I see the cord pulled to the side then under the valve and hooked. I find it's easier to reach across to locate and wrap the cord with the opposite hand. This also helps rotate the tanks down when they get positive (Al). Just seems tidier with the floating loop on the same side.
Water's frozen here...so I guess I'm just thinking out loud....

Cheers, Kevin

Works better with neutral tanks and requires slightly different hose management, but why not?
As you said it helps when the tanks get positive.
Personaly I prefer the bungee to be most effective while the tanks are heavy.

If you just want examples of people doing it your way, here is a good one:
They seem to teach that method.

Last edited:
Does anyone else prefer to wrap their tank bungee from the inside rather than the outside? Every example I see the cord pulled to the side then under the valve and hooked. I find it's easier to reach across to locate and wrap the cord with the opposite hand. This also helps rotate the tanks down when they get positive (Al). Just seems tidier with the floating loop on the same side.
Water's frozen here...so I guess I'm just thinking out loud....

Cheers, Kevin

Hey Kevin,

What you describe is a little unorthodox, I side with Steve Martin in that the opposite hand is a helper, so attaching the bungee on the left tank, the left hand grabs the bungee (routes from outside to in) and the right hand assists. Are you using SM valves(left and right) and where are your first stages orientated when attached?

In the big picture, I guess it's fine to route from the inside if the tanks are trim, valves are accessible and first stages are protected.

How many sidemounters are there in Calgary?

Thanks Razorista, I hadn't seen that vid. I was PADI trained but the instructor used an holis 50 with single bungee and boltsnaps.
Hey Deco.
I'm just using rental tanks so far so its regs to the inside (left valve handle up, right handle down ) my regs are not DIN so I put the loop around the clamp handle. I am looking forward to some local diving now that I have a drysuit but so far it's been vacation diving only. No way I'm waiting that long to blow bubbles. We have one club in town. I went to their swap meet and met few nice people. Not sure how many sm. I got my UTD harness, wing and 2 Hollis stage strap kits at the meet. All unused. So getting to know some locals is the next step.
Where are you in this frozen wasteland?

Thanks Razorista, I hadn't seen that vid. I was PADI trained but the instructor used an holis 50 with single bungee and boltsnaps.
Hey Deco.
I'm just using rental tanks so far so its regs to the inside (left valve handle up, right handle down ) my regs are not DIN so I put the loop around the clamp handle. I am looking forward to some local diving now that I have a drysuit but so far it's been vacation diving only. No way I'm waiting that long to blow bubbles. We have one club in town. I went to their swap meet and met few nice people. Not sure how many sm. I got my UTD harness, wing and 2 Hollis stage strap kits at the meet. All unused. So getting to know some locals is the next step.
Where are you in this frozen wasteland?
I split my time between Edmonton and Victoria. I'm one of the more active SM instructors around and the only UTD instructor in Alberta. If you have any questions let me know. Cheers.

Jay

... I was PADI trained but the instructor used an holis 50 with single bungee and boltsnaps....
You had better luck than most than :wink:

Thanks Jay, I look forward to diving off the island. (Mom's in Nanimo) but I have to get the drysuit sorted. That means some local lakes first. Do you have a favorite site south of Edmonton? A friend has a spot on Rosen lake, says it's deep and crystal clear... Spring fed.

Yes I think I was lucky with my instructor, considering I tried booking an instructor here with 2 lds's in September and it was November before I talked to one. By then he wasn't willing to do sm and drysuit together. I just went with the resorts shop since they wouldn't let me dive without a c card.
Worked out fine as Baptiste, my instructor, only backmounts when teaching it. He doesn't get to teach sm often so he needed notes for class but his instruction, skill and attitude was excellent in my book. All the guiding he does in single tank sm. This was with Dressel's at ibero on Coz.

Last edited:
Thanks Jay, I look forward to diving off the island. (Mom's in Nanimo) but I have to get the drysuit sorted. That means some local lakes first. Do you have a favorite site south of Edmonton? A friend has a spot on Rosen lake, says it's deep and crystal clear... Spring fed.
Wow, I haven't heard of Rosen Lake (I'm off to see Google!), usually south of Edmonton we'll use twin lake, a decent dive with some interesting things to see and one of the deeper lakes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom