Innovation in diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well, obviously I think it is appropriate, but you are saying that it is not appropriate. So, if you had remembered it you still wouldn't have taken it?

If I had remembered the tapperware box with the electronics I would have done a rebreather exploration dive at 22 meter depth for a considerable period and significant penetration (2 -3 times the 600 meters I dived).

Ok, I get it you chose to do this dive instead only because you forgot your bottom timer and depth gauge.

So basically what you are saying is that for any diver doing a dive with a hard bottom and gas supply that forces them within no decompression limits, a bottom timer/depth gauge or computer is not appropriate for the dive.

Ok, I get it you chose to do this dive because you forgot your bottom timer and depth gauge.

So basically what you are saying is that for any diver doing a dive with a hard bottom and gas supply that forces them within no decompression limits, a bottom timer/depth gauge or computer is not appropriate for the dive.

No, for my specific dive on that day it was appropriate to have it, and it was appropriate not to have it.

Tony probably carries it in the bathtub when he gets his head wet!

I understand where gianaameri is coming from; I volunteer one day every two weeks in a nearby aquarium, feeding fish and cleaning windows and fake coral. We do not use computers or timers because the max depth is 13 feet and with a single tank we can't get into deco...so bottom time and dive depth are irrelevant in this fixed, known, non-threatening situation.

However, we are not in an overhead environment (mostly) and there is a tender watching for us at all times. In fact, we are not let in the water solo...we have to wait for another diver, and the tender.

So I understand his principle of not needing the usual electronics....but not his practice. Solo or overhead would seem to make the practice inappropriate. He did both. Even if he could not have gone into deco, it is an environment that can keep you in it....entanglements, falling ceilings, severe cramps, whatever, with no immediate access to the surface. For me, his issue is running out of gas in an overhead environment. He says, how could the electronics have helped? They couldn't have, but at least it would give him something to look at as his minutes tick away. :reaper:

No, for my specific dive on that day it was appropriate to have it, and it was appropriate not to have it.

Not really sure what you are intending to mean by that. Are you saying it was optional for that specific dive on that day?

For that matter, on that specific dive on a different day would it be necessary? Lucky for you that you forgot it on that day, and not a different day...whew!

I understand where gianaameri is coming from; I volunteer one day every two weeks in a nearby aquarium, feeding fish and cleaning windows and fake coral. We do not use computers or timers because the max depth is 13 feet and with a single tank we can't get into deco...so bottom time and dive depth are irrelevant in this fixed, known, non-threatening situation.

However, we are not in an overhead environment (mostly) and there is a tender watching for us at all times. In fact, we are not let in the water solo...we have to wait for another diver, and the tender.

So I understand his principle of not needing the usual electronics....but not his practice. Solo or overhead would seem to make the practice inappropriate. He did both. Even if he could not have gone into deco, it is an environment that can keep you in it....entanglements, falling ceilings, severe cramps, whatever, with no immediate access to the surface. For me, his issue is running out of gas in an overhead environment. He says, how could the electronics have helped? They couldn't have, but at least it would give him something to look at as his minutes tick away. :reaper:

I'd be heading for a dry chamber or another exit if I cannot make it out of the exit I came in - rather than watch my electronics count Depth, Time, and Deco!

---------- Post added January 13th, 2014 at 06:27 PM ----------

Not really sure what you are intending to mean by that. Are you saying it was optional for that specific dive on that day?

For that matter, on that specific dive on a different day would it be necessary? Lucky for you that you forgot it on that day, and not a different day...whew!

Already discussed in post 139 below:

Looking backwards and forward the decision and calculated risk I took on the day was the correct one.

Would I not bring along in the future a Dive Computer/Bottom Timers for a similar profile/run in the cave?

NO, no benefit not to wear one on the arm anyway as a matter of course. I would bring Dive Computer/Bottom Timers and use them as a tool as normal on all dives.

Would I do a similar profile/run in the cave if (hope not) I forget (a second time) electronics in the garage in the future?

I do not know. I will make a risk assessment on the day and make a decision.

well, one thing is for sure. It is easy to see why you are a solo diver.

The use of double negatives makes it nearly impossible to follow the risk assessment for a dive.

Stupid! Simply stupid and unwilling to learn. So, do you want additional video of a real cave diver? Just for you: Peacock Springs - YouTube

To learn I am waiting for you to come up with one hypothetical situation in your mind and articulate in this forum in which a Dive Computer/Bottom Timer could have made a dent of a difference in my dive as planned on that day.

Can you do "what if" analysis?

---------- Post added January 14th, 2014 at 12:21 AM ----------

well, one thing is for sure. It is easy to see why you are a solo diver.

The use of double negatives makes it nearly impossible to follow the risk assessment for a dive.

Tony, I'd dive with. He is predictable, although non-adaptive.

Omisson, in the cavern would be O.K. to dive with (provided there is a nice single yellow line).

For serious penetration in some caves "solo" is safer than with either of the above in the cave at the same time (but it is nice to share the dive with another "solo" divers on occasion).

To learn I am waiting for you to come up with one hypothetical situation in your mind and articulate in this forum in which a Dive Computer/Bottom Timer could have made a dent of a difference in my dive as planned on that day.

Can you do "what if" analysis?

I did come up with one. A depth gauge and timer is used to control your ascent rate. But you claim that with your skill and experience these tools are inappropriate.

Tony, I'd dive with. He is predictable, although non-adaptive.

Omisson, in the cavern would be O.K. to dive with (provided there is a nice single yellow line).

For serious penetration in some caves "solo" is safer than with either of the above in the cave at the same time (but it is nice to share the dive with another "solo" divers on occasion).

I'm not sure they would be willing to dive with you, hence my post. By the way solo is only safer if the other diver is a liability.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom