inland deep spots for a deco class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ouch. I could just charter a boat for an entire class for less than that. Or fly to Cozumel.

As they say, the best diving in Texas is in Mexico!
One of the stipulations in the sale contract was continuing to allow public access. While it has been allowed, it is so disincentivized such that it isn’t really an option. It isn’t (wasn’t?) a place where I’d happily leave things in my vehicle either, but I haven’t been since 2015ish.

As for the Oriskany.... I have been in the area ready to dive on 11 different days over a couple of years and never gone to it. I have in the past claimed it does not exist, that it is in fact a giant bait and switch scam where the operators tell you the weather is too bad way out by the wreck, but there are plenty of good sites closer to shore you can dive.

I have gone to southeast Florida for a couple months every winter for 11 years now, and it seems like every year gets windier. Actually, it is not just a feeling. I asked a dive boat operator about it, and he said that in the past 5 years it had gotten so windy that he had had to cut his dive days in half. He sold the business a month or so later.

Several years ago I had two of my trimix students planning to come to join me there to complete their trimix training. I had all the dives scheduled with an operator out of Pompano Beach. Then the weather forecast called for a week of gale force winds. I did everything I could to find an alternative, and a ScubaBoard search would reveal some of my efforts. Believe me, there is nowhere to go inland if you are not cave certified and get blown out.

I did the last dives of my trimix instructor internship in a cave, but the student and I were cave certified, and the instructor was a cave instructor.

It is a long haul from Galveston, but Rock Lake in Santa Rosa, NM is suitable for tech diving--we have found 280 feet there. I have certified divers from the Denver area (and even north of there) at that site, and that is more than 400 miles for them (and me).

I have a friend that did INTD ccr recreational trimix course at Buford down at 145ft. But that’s definitely a cavern if not a cave.

I have a friend that did INTD ccr recreational trimix course at Buford down at 145ft. But that’s definitely a cavern if not a cave.
That’s a cave. Unfortunately, there are a number of instructors (and one IT in particular) that pretend it isn’t

I'm pretty sure that anything greater than 130 linear feet from the surface is considered a cave, regardless of ambient light. Plus most of the students wouldn't be even cavern certified, and I'm not a cavern instructor.

I guess I could just go to Eagles Nest, as long as I don't move more than about 10 feet off the top of the breakdown pile, I'm not in an over head right? Kidding!

I'm pretty sure that anything greater than 130 linear feet from the surface is considered a cave, regardless of ambient light. Plus most of the students wouldn't be even cavern certified, and I'm not a cavern instructor.

I guess I could just go to Eagles Nest, as long as I don't move more than about 10 feet off the top of the breakdown pile, I'm not in an over head right? Kidding!

From where you are just go to Playa Del Carmen. Ocean and cenotes both deep enough for what you are looking for. If the ocean is blown out the cenotes won’t be.

I teach down their all the time and it’s super easy logistics and some great diving especially for training.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom