inland deep spots for a deco class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sea_ledford

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
After having issues with getting to an appropriate depth anywhere in Texas due to low water levels, I'm considering shifting my future AN/DP/HX classes to Florida. Finishing up in the Oriskany is an easy call, but for the 3-5 middle dives I'd like to not have to deal with offshore conditions from a planning and logistics standpoint.

Are there any inland spots in FL, preferable closer to the panhandle, with 100-130' depth that are not in caves or caverns?

Thanks!

After having issues with getting to an appropriate depth anywhere in Texas due to low water levels, I'm considering shifting my future AN/DP/HX classes to Florida. Finishing up in the Oriskany is an easy call, but for the 3-5 middle dives I'd like to not have to deal with offshore conditions from a planning and logistics standpoint.

Are there any inland spots in FL, preferable closer to the panhandle, with 100-130' depth that are not in caves or caverns?

Thanks!

Except for the fact that charters to the O get blown out A LOT. You'd have better luck with Key Largo, Palm Beach or Pompano Beach. Charters to those deep wrecks are blown out far less frequently.

How about Canyon Lake? Are the levels too low there, the depth should be 130+ right?

There’s always Hudson Grotto :wink:

That is probably the only site that qualifies, everything else is solidly a cave deeper than 100ft. And even then it just barely qualifies, and I wouldn't willingly go there.

How about Canyon Lake? Are the levels too low there, the depth should be 130+ right?
Apparently Canyon Lake is 125 when full. Looks like its 42' low right now.

Except for the fact that charters to the O get blown out A LOT. You'd have better luck with Key Largo, Palm Beach or Pompano Beach. Charters to those deep wrecks are blown out far less frequently.
Yeah, that why I'm trying to find another option. The gulf just gets blown out too often to plan around it. I didn't know the O got blown out regularly though.

East coast of south FL might be my best option.

Is 40 Fathom Grotto closed? Looking at their website it says it'll reopen in 2013, so I'm guessing it is not open.

Ouch. I could just charter a boat for an entire class for less than that. Or fly to Cozumel.

As they say, the best diving in Texas is in Mexico!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom