Information on diving in Similan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

crisplof

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi,

I am planning to go to Similan Islands in 4 weeks, and from what I am reading I´m not sure of what kind of diving would suit me best, or if I am on time to get it because everything might be already booked.

From what I´ve read everyone recommends to get a liveaboard trip, is it really so much better than getting one day diving trips from Khao Lak? Is it worth it? and... do you think it is not too late to book it one month in advance?

Also I´ve seen that it is possible to stay right in the Similans in some bungalows, but then diving may be difficult if all diving trips go out of Khao Lak, is it possible to stay in Similans and dive around?

I would really welcome any practical information you can share with me :) on diving sites I shouldnt miss, diving centers and kind of diving trips that you think are best.

Thanks a lot... and I promise to give feedback :)

Cris

Hi Crisplof

Firstly I am a freelance Divemaster for the past 5 years at Similan. About 3000 dives in the area :wink:

From my experience the only way to dive Similan is by a Liveaboard, undoubtedly!

There are so many divesites and so much to see your going to need more then day trips! Plus you avoid the constant tiring travel and get to relax in the cool liveaboard atmosphere on board :)

The various divesites and islands at Similan offer different fishes. ie. Island number 9 is famous for sharks and the east sides of island 7 and 5 are famous for small stuff like Ghostpipe fish and rare nudi's! Basiclly to summerise the whole group of islands- the east side is for finding small stuff and gentle reefs whereas the west side is brilliant for big stuff and boulder style dives, deep and swim-throughs. Thats why I love it here!

You can book anytime! I am able assist you with this if you like? I suggest a 4 day trip heading up to Richeilou Rock, that place is amazing! So many beautiful things! Also you can dive Tachai Pinnacle and Koh Bon where I'll 90% guarantee u a MANTA!! Serious! :)

What do u like to see in the water? Coz we'll go find it! (sharks included)

Sean

Hi looks like you are getting some help. There are trip reports, multimedia shows at our site for our two trips. Sadly our fav boat has retired but there are many options based on budget. Be careful there are some real cattle trucks there where they smash as many people on as possible.

Yep, definatley do a four night liveaboard to Similans and Richelieu Rock - great diving and great food :D

Most boats make similar trips but look for ones that go to Surin Islands as well.

Not too late to book now - have a look here - February trip departure dates.

Looking forward to hearing about it!!!

Mid February is already fully booked on many boats, since Chinese New Year is 14th February. The week before there is space on lots of liveaboards, or the week after is OK. Liveaboards are certainly the best way to dive the area. Day trips involve a lot of back and forth for just a couple of dives. You can do overnight 6 dive trips and stay on the island, but you can't just go to the islands, hang out and dive - there is not any dive operation on the islands, only the national park accommodation.

Typical daytrip from Khao Lak:

Pick-up around 7-7:30
Drive to the pier
1,5 hours by speedboat, remember earplugs and don't sit down if you have back problems (like me)
Gear up on the speedboat
Dive 1
Lunch
Dive 2
Departure from Similans at 14:50
Return to hotel around 17

Typical day on our boat:

Light breakfast and briefing at 7
Dive and snorkel 1
Big breakfast
Chill on the boat or go with the dinghy to the beach for an hour or so
Dive and snorkel 2
Lunch
Another beach or chill-out session
Dive and snorkel 3
Snack
Beach, chill-out or sunset dive and snorkel
Dinner
Night dive (unless you did the sunset dive)
ICE cold glass of water or even beer :wink:
Watch a movie, read a book, chat to the other people on the boat

- and you do that 5 days in a row :wink:)

Your choice.....

Dive sites you shouldn't miss imho: Boonsung Wreck (not really Similans, but on the way back - and it's my favourite), Richelieu Rock, Tachai Pinnacle, Bon Ridge, East of Eden, Elephant Head Rock, West of Eden, North Point, oh well, guess I like all of them :wink:))

There a many really good dive op's here - and a few not so good ones......

Good luck with the search :D

oh btw, you ask whether it's worth it......

Typical hotel room in Khao Lak resort 2500 Baht per night. Daytrip adds up to around 5000 Baht incl. marine park fees - so that's 7500 Baht for one day.

Different prices on different live-aboards - ours for instance is upper middle class and on a 5-day cruise the price per day is 5160 Baht including all meals and accommodation - or 1358 Baht per dive.

As long as you don't have to pay for a hotel room on land as well, live-aboard actually costs a lot less than daytrips

Hi everybody.
I'm also looking for a boat to make Similan liveabord mid march.
Any suggestion with boat's name/dive operators or whatever advise you may have ?
Tks in advance for the infos.

Furthermore, beyond Similan any other place to suggest ?

Hi,

My husband and I went to Thailand and dove the Similans and Richelieu Rock last Dec-Jan. After a lot of time on this forum and input from fellow divers, I found that these were the best parts to go at that time of the year (although some recommended Khao Tao and Lanta). From my experience (which is limited to only 1 week diving during Xmas), I think that Richelieu Rock is by far the best dive site!! It is pretty far out there and expensive for a day trip, but well worth it!! We dove with Big Blue in Khao Lak (daytrip) and really liked it compared to the other dive centers we dove with there. We don't do liveaboards, so I can't say much about them. We found that the Similans are BEAUTIFUL above water, but in my experience, less exciting than Richelieu below.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom