Inflator tube length on Pioneer wing???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capnsnott

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm diving a Halcyon Pioneer wing.
It seems to me that the guy I got it from cut the inflator tube shorter. Can someone measure theirs for me?
It barely stays in the bungee cord on the d-ring, if the ring is in the proper location on the chest (at arm pit to mid peck level?) Or do I have the ring too low? It's based on pictures in the GUE DIR-f book. No, I'm not DIR.
Thanks
Greg

Greg, the Halcyon inflator hoses are short for a reason. If the D-ring is at clavicle level the inflator will be just below it. It is highly doubtful that anyone cut the tube, as it wouldn't say on the wing elbow or inflator end. Look closely and you will see that each end of the tube has no corrugations where it connects.

that's where it sets, so I guess it's ok.
It's just seems really short, but does not really cause problems.
I have big hands and think I need the new larger style inflator. It's hard to operate it when I have thick gloves on.
Thanks
Greg

On days where carpel tunnel is giving me fits, it's hard to hold on to. My left hand does not have the fine motor skills that my right does. It tightens up quickly and makes it hard to hang on to the inflator sometimes, especially in the dry suit. The wrist seals are tight for my thick wrists and the pressure messes with them. Cold water also adds to the mix.
I start the dive with no air in my wing and obviously have to add some at depth. Some use on the way up, but I ascend horizontle so I use the bottom dump as much as possible.
Good enough explanation? I hate to sound like I'm complaining about my physical issues. Word to the wise, body building will hurt you later in life if you start young......
Greg

Oh yeah,
I haven't tried dry gloves yet, are they really a lot better than the monster wets?
my last dive in July was in 42* water.
thanks.

Dry gloves are bulky but squeeze down and allow ample dexterity... well... maybe not ample, but a little dexterity anyway. You should still keep your wrist seals intact using drygloves (IMO) but they can be looser... you don't want circulation or mobility cut off.

As for using the rear dump... that is the way to go. As for inflating: if your inflate button is on the outside you can push it with the palm of your hand rather than the end of your thumb. This should make it easier. If the inflator button is on the inside (there are several styles of inflators used on Halcyon wings) use the inside of your thumb close to the base.

I'd like to explore this abit more.............if someone could tell me the length of the inflator hose 27" or 36" .I'm heading in the direction of a halcyon pioneer soon.
Mahalo nui in advance

rushonthebeach:
I'd like to explore this abit more.............if someone could tell me the length of the inflator hose 27" or 36" .I'm heading in the direction of a halcyon pioneer soon.
Mahalo nui in advance
Not sure if you want the length of the lp hose that connects the inflator to your first stage or the actual length of the corrugated hose & inflator.
As for the lp hose connecting your first stage to your inflator...it comes with the wing and is 22in.
The actual inflator itself seems to measure in at right about 17 inches.
These measurements are taken from my 2 month old halcyon pioneer 36.

Jason

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom