Inflator Hose Sealant???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamp69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
ok, so i bought an older harness with a dive rite rec wing. for some reason, the Inflator hose was opposite from what i was used to, with the mouth piece and inflate button facing away from me. Anyway, when i took off the clamp, and pulled the inflator off the hose, it looked like there was some sort of sealant used to bond the rubber hose to the plastic inflator. anyone know what kind of sealant this might be, or where i could get some, or what else would be safe to use. thanks

Are you sure it wasn't just dried up crud? Cleaned and clamped should do it.

Pete

I think my inflator (halcyon) uses RTV silicone but I was able to put it back together using only zip ties with no problems.

ok, so i bought an older harness with a dive rite rec wing. for some reason, the Inflator hose was opposite from what i was used to, with the mouth piece and inflate button facing away from me. Anyway, when i took off the clamp, and pulled the inflator off the hose, it looked like there was some sort of sealant used to bond the rubber hose to the plastic inflator. anyone know what kind of sealant this might be, or where i could get some, or what else would be safe to use. thanks

Sounds like a little DIY work on the part of the previous owner.

Just clean it up and rotate the inflator so that it's facing in the direction you want it. Check carefully to make sure the hose hasn't been damaged by whatever they used to seal it with and if so, then go ahead and replace it. They're not expensive.

R..

Save yourself the grief of a leak at 50 feet and just buy a new hose. Usually a reason someone did what they did and it usually doesn't turn out well when you undo and correct.

Many manufacturers use a contact adhesive. Nothing special, think DAP.

The sealant was a yellowish king of contact cement looking adhesive. My Lds guy said it usually comes on them from the manufacturer. He also said that he never uses sealant. Just zip ties. I should add that both ends of the hose had a clamp as well as the sealant. Anyway. It's back together. Lol

It is probably Aquaseal. I use it for this purpose and my BCs (several) all came with a similar sealant at this location.

N

Well, I just replaced the corrugated hose on my Oxycheq MK5 which I owned since new and never took apart. There was a little bit of goo at the end of the fitting. Hard to say if it was assembly lubricant or sealant.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom