Inflatable Kayak Recommendation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBumps

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This year I'm going to add to my diving range by purchasing a couple of kayaks. I live in an apartment, so they have to be inflatable, even though I'll regret this in the wind. Any recommendations on what I should buy?

Thanks!

For near shore SCUBA and freediving, a non-inflatable sit-on-top has excellent tracking, less paddling effort, and greater speed. This may equate to safety as well since less fatigue and easier to get in or out of trouble. Though an inflatable kayak designed for the ocean may not tip as easily or sink. Keep an eye out on Craigslist for deals. I use an AquaTerra Prism. Check SpearBoard for current kayak model recommendations for our coast. Need to store them at a friend's or family member's home.

Kayaks can be rented at Half Moon Bay and Monterey Bay to try out. Also you may be able to hook-up with a SCUBABoard or SpearBoard member to try out.

An seaworthy inflatable boat with 15hp+ motor would be best if deciding to go inflatable.

Last edited:
There is a point at which you are better off buying an inflatable boat with a small outboard. As Dan calls his the "yacht". Then you can go out with a buddy or two in calm conditions and dive off the boat together. In reality it won't take up much more space than two inflatable kayaks yet opens you up to visiting many more dive sites inside Monterey Bay and other safe areas. Something with an inflatable bottom would you serve you good and only weights about 80lbs. The outboards weights another 90lbs or so.

As to kayaks, the inflatable ones are not that great for scuba diving, as they do not track well in wind or chop at all. You can rent a true kayak at Aquarius on Del Monte if you want to try kayak diving first. Of course Dan offered up his inflatable to try and/or buy.

... As Dan calls his the "yacht"...

Mine is a MICRO yacht. :wink: It's actually a great Point Lobos boat, although I will go other places close to shore.

I have other boats if we want to go out on open ocean.

Your advice is spot on. And you can easily add a depthfinder/gps unit to an inflatable boat. Not so much so to a kayak (yes, I know you can, but not as easily).

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll take a look at inflatable boats. I was planning on buying 2 inflatable kayaks, one for me, one for a buddy. Why not just upgrade to a boat. Thanks again!

Check out Avon and Achilles inflatable 12' or larger with a transom rated for 25hp minimum. There have been killer deals on Craigslist and SpearBoard.

West Marine boats are decent and often found for a good price used. You are probably going to wind up with a PCV boat which is just fine. I would strongly recommend an inflatable floor since they are more rigid. Cut some outdoor carpet or something to protect the floor from scuba gear.

Hmm, I've been thinking about an inflatable kayak as well but the idea of an inflatable boat is interesting. I'd primarily be using this in the Monterey area as well. However, it was my understanding that motorized boats are not allowed at Point Lobos, which would be one of my primary use cases. Am I incorrect here?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom