Inexpensive Dive Computers??? Any Help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DarkHorse, I faced the same decision a few weeks ago and looked at all the pros and cons of the inexpensive computers. I ended up buying the Suunto Favor S, because it is the only one on your list that provides me with audible alarms, has a backlit, flourescent display and most importantly has a good reputation and displays all the info that I need.

It was a close call between the Veo 100 and Favor S. If you not planning on doing Nitrox anytime soon, I'd recommend it.

Suunto has a new computer called the Gekko. Basically it's a Vyper minus the backlight and pc download capability.

Sportextreme.com a European online store has them for $230 U.S. dollars, $18 shipping. Suunto is a European company so not many U.S. stores have the Gekko yet.

LeisurePro has the Gekko for $314 which is ridiculous since they sell the Vyper for $300. Just a matter of time before LeisurePro lowers their price. Right now they are taking advantage of being one of the few U.S. stores selling the Gekko.

You might want to think about the mares m1 rgbm. It is there newest model. It has the latest algorythims( spelling is my life), air , nitrox, bottom timer, backlighted, and it is downloadable. You can get them for about $325. It is wrist mount, or they are coming out with the console this month I think. Anyway that is my two cents. Hope it helps. Good Luck!!!!!!!!

Hi Darkhorse:

I understand the confusion you are having about which computer to buy. I am confused too. And I need to buy two of them. But after reading about 50 posts on this Board and researching dive computers on the Internet I am going to buy the Suunto Vyper. It looks like the best buy for the buck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom