Inexpensive Dive Computers??? Any Help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DarkHorse

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to diving and I'm just getting geared up this winter so I'm ready for next season.

I have analog gauges right now but I'm thinking about getting and inexpensive Dive computer (wrist mount). The ones I've seen for under $300 CAD are:

Aeris Atmos 1
Oceanic VEO 100
Oceanic Versa
Suunto Favour S
Tusa Imprex II

They all seem to have pretty much the same features. I was hoping for some guidance and some personal experience with them, to guide me into making an informed decision.

Or am I making a big mistake even thinking about these:confused:

First of all Darkhorse, welcome to the board.

Second, the search function is your friend. Use if often and you will be amazed at the information you can find as it pertains to your needs. Most, if not all subjects have been discussed in the last 6 months or so but maybe not. Anyway, do a seach for computers and see the light.

Any particular reason why you would not consider a unit capable of nitrox? Should you ever start using this gas you will need to pruchase a new computer. Now it's always good to have new toys but not always fun to pay for them.

I have experience with Aeries Atmos, Versa and Suunto Vyper. Though the Vyper is not on your list, it can be had for about $300 which is on the high side of your ceiling. The Versa and Versa Pro are made by the same mfg as the Aeries. Both are good rigs. I almost purchased the Versa Pro but went Vyper in the end. Made more dives previous to purchase with Vyper, thus seemed more comfortable with it. You will find many pro Suunto divers on this board. Fine piece of equipment. You can't go wrong. If you are dead set on air only, Suunto has a new Gekko out that is basically a Vyper with air only as I understand it but don't know much about it. I am sure you can search for info on this board or others and find someone with personal experience with that equipment.

Thanks for the advice, 5615Mike :doctor:

Being new to the board, I had no idea there was even a search capability. Thanks for letting me know about that.

I have no experience with NITROX and probably wont for at least a couple years, so that's why I wasn't really considering a NITROX capable computer.

Thanks =-)

Darkhorse,

I have the Oceanic Veo 200 which is Nitrox compatable. It can be had with compass, SPG and console mount for about $305.00 from Liesure Pro. And yes it does come with a LP warranty card.

Harbour

DarkHorse once bubbled...
Or am I making a big mistake even thinking about these
Yes, from my point of view.

Why do you need a computer when you already have a bottom timer and a depth gauge?

You are new to diving. Your air consumption rate is probably on the high side so that limits your bottom time and you shouldn't be going deep either.

Wait on getting a computer and just use your tables for now.

I would suggest if you are going to buy a computer to go ahead and buy one that is Nitrox compatible. You can get a Mares M1/Dacor Darwin or an Aeris Atmos 2 for about $250 from Leisure pro. I have used the M1 and its not a bad computer and it is very reasonable. My bigest complaint about is are that the buttoms are some times hard to push to get to different functions but i got used to it.

Everyone seems to be pretty pro NITROX. It's something I may look into soon than I had originaly thought.

What I don't understand is, why does it matter if it's NITROX or AIR, if it's only on your wrist :confused: :confused:

I can't imagine the AIR or NITROX, actually coming in contact with the computer unless it's a console type and reads the psi. Am I wrong in my assumtion :confused: :confused:

The computer computes your no deco time for the dive as well as other functions that I won't go into. Whether AI or not the computer does not have to come in direct contact with your gas in order to compute your NDL.

If you are diving Air, EAN32, 36, 40, etc. there are different NDL's for mixes for different depths. Don't mean to be too direct here, but maybe you might want to go back to your OW book and review your dive tables. That's what your computer does for you. Don't ever forget that you need to have an understanding of your tables and NEVER completely rely on your computer. It could get you bent or even worse.

Thanks to all the good advise, I think I'm going to hold off a little bit, save a little more money and get a computer that is NITROX compatable. And like 5615mike suggested, spend a little more time using the dive tables. I really want to thank everyone who responded. This board really helped me make an informed decision.

I think I may actually take a bit of that money and take the AOW course.

:thumb:

peace

Haven't had opportunity to get it wet yet. I've an older model Oceanic (puck style) that has been great. My main reason for upgrading was the 200 (not sure about the 100) has a backlight for night diving. Nitrox and PC dowload capability were nice bonuses (except the PC interface kit is half the price of the computer, anyone seen plans or DIY kit?). Also the important numbers are quite a bit larger than the one I've been diving.
I'll echo other folks thoughts though. You need to thoroughly understand tables and the fact that the computer can say you're fine and you can still get bent. With the bar graph loading indicators on the Oceanic you can use it as a guide and dive it conservatively. I'd recommend you spend some of the $$ on diving to build up your skills and then AOW, then a computer (assuming you've already got the rest of your kit).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom