Inexpensive but not going to get me bent?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

asaara

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
A computer is pretty high up there on the list of Things I Need, thought I had a rough idea of what I was looking for, but now I'm getting confused by all the various levels of conservatism from different companies...

"Don't buy a Suunto!"
"Buy a Suunto, you won't get bent!"
"Scubatoys doesn't even *sell* Suunto!"
"*All* we sell is Suunto!"
"My grandmother is from Finland, talk Nokia, dive Suunto?"

Other than Oceanic seems to be the most likely to get you bent if you don't also remember what your tables said, and that you're more likely to go deaf than get bent diving a Suunto, where do the others (like the big grey chunky ones - Uwatec? - that seem extremely common in some places) fit in? How much less time do you get on a Suunto compared to tables, who here's gotten bent on an Oceanic?

I'm looking for a reasonably inexpensive non-air-integrated wrist computer that's relatively simple to read and operate, handles nitrox, that's reliable and isn't going to get me bent should the math cells in my brain take the day off. PC integration isn't a huge issue, since my main computer is a Mac, but I do have access to Windows machines if the ability to download data is really that amazing a feature to have (mostly looking for something to, strange as it may sound, use in the *water*...).

And am I on crack, or is the girl in the bikini on the beach in the 2006 Oceanic catalog actually running their software, advertised as Windows-only, on a Mac laptop??? How do they *do* that? That could be a factor in deciding, if something did run on a Mac...I used VirtualPC on another (not significantly older) Mac than my current one, and it hosed a bunch of my programs, uninstalling VPC and reinstalling the OS (not to a degree that it'd wipe my drive or system settings - wasn't willing to do that) didn't help...

ianr33:
Computers dont bend divers. Divers bend divers.

No guano, sherlock. But you've got the things for a reason. Not everyone gets bent going outside of the tables, and people that stay with in them still sometimes do. Nothing's perfect, but a reliable backup if you're a little off or a little narced and having math issues/can't remember what you were thinking on the surface earlier/etc. would be nice. You've got an octo, don't you? Not everybody is going to be perfect on every dive. And sometimes people tend to second guess themselves rather than the computer when things don't quite add up.

ianr33:
Computers dont bend divers. Divers bend divers.

Well put Ian.

Scubapro has a fairly inexpensive wrist computer, the aladin prime I think they're just under $300.00, or they were last year anyway. Anyway, Its nitrox capable but not adjustable from 1.4. It uses a variation of a Buhlmann algorithm. They're good for what you want.

As I mentioned in another thread, I have never been able to find any data or study which shows higher incidence of DCS in recreational diving when using a computer with a liberal algorithm than with a conservative one. This was the deciding factor in my buying an aeris atmos rather than a TUSA IQ700 or gekko. (I don't need 2 gas capability) If there is such a study, I'd love to see it, actually maybe not since I've already bought my computer!

It is pretty remarkable how differently these computers can interpret off-gassing on certain profiles. But, if there really was a proven safety difference between the different algorithms, I certainly have a feeling we'd be hearing about it. I think a big part of the equation is the fact that we're talking about recreational, single tank diving within NDL limits. Planned deco dives, doubles, depth greater than typical recreational depths, that's a whole different story.

I have a cobra AI with quick disconnect as far as a computer your choice, like it was said antone can get bent. Running the software is nice just print out and stick in log book, but then again I dont care to sit down and write a book in the log book. My .02 cents

I have the Oceanic Veo 200 which was relatively inexpensive but not the cheapest as it does does the nitrox unlike the Veo 100. I've been diving air, but am finally about to do the nitrox course. It's a great little computer that gives you what you need to know. I've heard about the Oceanic being a little liberal, which it might be, but when ascending, i always seem to ascend too fast. For the time being, it's all I really need. I've been down to 125 fsw down in cozumel chasing a turtle while the rest of the group was at about 70 fsw. I finishing looking at the turtle, after being down there for about 7-8 minutes came back to the rest of the group, slowed down my breathing rate and was able to maintain enough air to finish the dive which lasted close to an hour, granted it was a wall which allowed for a gradual ascent. I came back up a little loaded with nitrogen according to my computer but nothing to be worried about. That was about 4 months ago and I have had no symptoms of DCS yet.

I believe so long as you stay within the computers guide lines, and arrange your dives so that the 1st dive is the deepest and the last dive the shortest, you should be fine.

asaara:
Other than Oceanic seems to be the most likely to get you bent if you don't also remember what your tables said, and that you're more likely to go deaf than get bent diving a Suunto

I dive a Suunto Vytec and am very happy with it. Most of the alarms can be turned off or set so that they won't go off unless you do something fairly bad. In that case I'm good with the alarms as they'll let me know I'm doing something stupid. Is it unlikely that I wouldn't notice accidentally breaking 130 feet when I planned a 100 foot dive... yes. Nonetheless, I'd like the thing to start sending up red flags if I do.

asaara:
How much less time do you get on a Suunto compared to tables, who here's gotten bent on an Oceanic?

The Suunto computer is still going to give you more time than tables as it will credit you for the actual depth you're diving instead of assuming that all your time is spent at the deepest portion of your dive. When planning with tables you assume a square profile that isn't really accurate. That being said, even though you get more time on the computer I highly recommend sticking to your plan. Plan your dive and then dive your plan. Head back even if your computer says you have no-deco time remaining. Pushing any computer to its limits and ignoring your dive plan is a good way to get bent.

For what its worth I think the conservatism differences don't make a ton of difference for the normal recreational diver. If you're going technical you'll probably end up using the really expensive computer in gauge mode anyway so I wouldn't stress too much about it.

Jason

Back
Top Bottom