Indonesian Bathroom Hygiene Practices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was common in the 70s! I grew up with it.
It wasn’t at all common in NJ where I grew up - none of my friends or family had carpeted bathrooms. We did see a few when we shopped for our first house, but then again, we also saw some carpeted walls and even a carpeted ceiling. Human “taste” never fails to amaze me … :oops:

I did a quick Google of Indo-Siren bathroom, curious as to what a liveaboard might offer, and found this TripAdvisor photo (click link). I see a small 'sit on' toilet (with no obvious flush tank, so I'm guessing one pours water into it to make it flush, common in Indonesia?),
No, boat toilets (called “heads”) use either a hand pump, or an electric pump to flush. There are no tanks. The photo seems to show a button on the wall and that looks like a fairly luxurious head for a boat, so I’d say it’s an electric pump flush, likely with fresh water (hand pumps typically use seawater).

My poop story. Red Sea liveaboard, neighbours toilet was plugged up and someone had the brilliant idea that because it was a dive boat with an unlimited supply of compressed air it would be a good tool to unclog the pipes. They pressurized the lines in that room to force everything into the tanks below deck. That was the plan anyway. Came back to my room to discover that my toilet had a bad case of explosive diarrhea - all over everything including the ceiling! Thankfully the closed bathroom door contained the explosion and nothing I owned was in the room.

Zion National Park which had a big issue with foreign tourists not understanding western toilets.
256hs0wyfd081.jpg

Carpeting in a bathroom in the US is extremely rare (and a stupid choice) - the typical US bathroom flooring is ceramic tile.
Here too we cannot coinceive to have surfaces which cannot be properly sanitised.
We did find carpet mostly in England...
They carpet the floor in maby places which we find anti-hygienic, such as kitchen or bedroom. Even on stairs!
In some places there was carpet even on the cover of the toilet!
Seen this, my wife required to change hotel immediately!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom