Indonesian Bathroom Hygiene Practices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At their own homes in the U.S., some people read on the toilet, and messing with their smart phones is very common. Trying to change U.S. customs to a squatty potty-style setup would run afoul of ingrained bathroom cultural norms. I'm guessing the squatters 'get the job done' and move on, rather than stay awhile to read?

I'm guessing the squatters 'get the job done' and move on, rather than stay awhile to read?

I never quite understood that "taking the newspaper to the toilet" thing.

I could think of better places to read to be honest.

I never quite understood that "taking the newspaper to the toilet" thing.

It’s the same reason why one of my neighbors takes three hours to mow the lawn with a lawn tractor when it could really be done in half an hour. Just don’t tell his wife.

It's the one place in the house where you are practically and culturally allowed to lock the door to keep out your children, and whatever your spouse wants will just have to wait. It's like a small personal force field protecting some 'me time.' You get peace and on-demand isolation.

The 'keep out your children' thing (especially for mothers) doesn't kick in well until they're past the toddler stage.

It's the one place in the house where you are practically and culturally allowed to lock the door to keep out your children, and whatever your spouse wants will just have to wait. It's like a small personal force field protecting some 'me time.' You get peace and on-demand isolation.
Long enough until your legs go numb. Toilet seats are not user friendly. 🤪

Long enough until your legs go numb. Toilet seats are not user friendly. 🤪
You don’t actually need to be on the toilet. Just behind a closed door.

At their own homes in the U.S., some people read on the toilet, and messing with their smart phones is very common. Trying to change U.S. customs to a squatty potty-style setup would run afoul of ingrained bathroom cultural norms. I'm guessing the squatters 'get the job done' and move on, rather than stay awhile to read?
Do obese Americans often suffer from hemorrhoids or colon cancer? Could it be connected with constipation caused by the inability to squat? Just askin' ...

As a Muslim and ex-bicycle racer a clean ass has been part of my life for a long time. Toilet paper alone is not as sanitary as a stream of water and your fingers. Always use your left because you eat with your right. In Muslim countries like Indonesia, DO NOT eat with your left hand. Some places are more conservative than others (think Malaysia vs. KSA). Also, if you're traveling local in those areas, eat with your fingers (RIGHT hand). Crutches were made for people who can't walk, utensils were made for people who can't eat.

I always travel with a portable bidet squeezy bottle type thing. If you don't like the conditions of toilet paper/vs none, just get up off the toilet and take a quick rinse in the shower. They are usually right next to each other.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom