Indonesian Bathroom Hygiene Practices?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm a pretty 'just put it out there' kinda guy. Willing to say what other people are thinking. Things that would embarrass some people, I publicly ask about. Even for me, this is a new low. In researching things American tourists might want to know if traveling to Indonesia, I ran across disturbing content on common toiletry practices (on the other hand, I read most Filipinos now use toilet paper (as opposed to leaves)).

I strongly suspect touristy areas like live-aboard boats in Raja Ampat, hotels that cater to tourists en route for them (e.g.: FM7 Hotel in Jakarta and Swiss-BelHotel in Sorong) have western-style toilets (and toilet paper?!?!?). But I think it's worth asking about. Those of you who've been to Indonesia for dive trips, what was the toilet situation? Did it matter land-based vs. live-aboard? Is the situation the same in Raja Ampat, Komodo, Lembeh, etc...? I'm guessing people going budget with home stay options are more likely to face the 'traditional' ways?

Two Fish Traveling in 2016 said:

"In Indonesia, water is the cleanser of choice. Toilet paper is rare. Wipe options will vary. You may see a hose, a bucket and water, or toilet paper. In many cases, wiping is a hands-on affair, with a preference for using the left hand over the right."

Now that's just disturbing.

"Using a squat toilet

To use a squat toilet, place your feet on either side of the toilet. The dirty part with ridges is where lots of other feet have been. That’s where your feet go, too. Now SQUAT."

They have a photo to help! Yay! And step-by-step instructions!

The Bali Backpacker's Guidelines state cleaning yourself with your hand and a lot of water is the most natural and hygienic way.

Wayfaring Humans in 2019 noted in rural areas and in budget hotels, you will most likely come across Indonesia toilets that look like their photo (a squatty potty). They note in Indonesia you won't often find a working automatic flush on squatty potties or western-style toilets; rather you pour water into the bowl to flush. They they say:

"Wiping – For wiping, there will be NO TOILET PAPER (usually) because Indonesians use the water scooper to wash off. And then give a little shake, and carry on—it’s hot, so things dry quickly in Indonesia. If you want toilet paper, bring it with you and carry it around in your bag.

Don’t put toilet paper in the toilet! You’ll clog it. Instead, there’s usually a trash can or bag for disposing of paper next to the toilet that you can use.

Hand washing – There may or may not be hand washing available in public bathrooms. Carry around a travel-sized bottle of hand sanitizer with you for just such occasions!"

So, if I understand this rightly, it's common that people wipe their butts with their left hand...and hand washing may or may not be available. Hand sanitizer...it's not just for COVID-19! They go on to explain how to wash in an Indonesian bathroom, called a mandi, but state fancier hotels and bigger cities will have western-style showers.

You'll find the same problem all over Asia, and the lack of toilet paper in rural Mexico and about 1/4 of the gas stations on the interstates. My grandparents in Mississippi had an outhouse until my dad went and built them a bathroom complete with septic tank and running water....which they never used because it needed to be cleaned all the time; they only used it for guests.

You'll also find western toilets and toilet paper nearly everywhere you go; it is not a big worry. Carry a partial role of toilet paper, or a pocket pack of tissue paper, if you are worried.

Not drinking the tap water in Indonesia is MUCH more important than poop concerns.

@drrich2
In many places the squat toilet is the best for hygienic reason!!! Honest.
If there is a basket next to the toilet please put the soiled paper into it. A lot of toilet paper would not break down easily and can clog up the system quickly. "Do not put anything into it unless you have first eaten".
Running water is luxury in many places.

Nothing to worry about Richard. The diving in Indonesia, Malaysia, Philippines and Thailand etc worth more than a bit of personal inconvenience.
Actually unless you are travelling in really remote places, bathroom/toilet is never an issue in any diving destinations in SE Asia that I have been.

The way they do it in Indonesia and the greater majority of the world is a much cleaner/hygienic way than what they do in the so called "civilized" western world. It cleans everything and you don't end up with skid marks on your underwear. Toilet paper isn't clean at all. You wash your hands with soap and water after your do your thing. People that claim there are no facilities to wash hands later are probably talking about places out in the jungles but in this case if you have water for cleaning your bottom, you will surely find a water to clean your hands with. The water pressure in the hose will clean everything but be careful not to hurt yourself with high water pressure. You spray and clean with water only first and then use your left hand to clean the fine details later. You get to know yourself in much more intimate way and feel and be much cleaner.

As for the squatting, it is so much better for the bowls and getting things out than a toilet seat. You just have to spread your legs apart and actually squat down. You keep your shoes/sandals on but have to take your pants/underwear off. In places where men wear robes, they pull the robes way up but underwear comes off.

In Muslim countries people are supposed to pray five times a day proceeded by water based "ablution" to clean certain parts of the body while making sure the private parts are cleaned even more otherwise their prayers are invalid. Personal hygiene and washing is very detailed in Islamic sharia (Islamic law) and is obligatory for all Muslims. It goes into very fine details. If any poop or any body waste is present anywhere on the body or clothing, the prayer is invalid. Muslims are admonished to clean themselves from any potential poop or body waste present on themselves or their clothing, their prayers won't be accepted and their obligatory prayers will be considered invalid and remain as an eternal debt if they didn't follow procedures properly cleaning themselves. Hygienic requirements don't only apply to own body waste, it also applies to other biological functions as well as waste coming from other animals, blood on clothing or self (as the case for a butcher), body secretions, etc.

Now this doesn't mean that toilets in these countries will be cleaner or more hygienic than they are in the Western world, they can be but not always just like toilets aren't always clean in the western world. In this case squat toilets will save you from your body/butt having to touch a dirty toilet seat. Water will help you clean your body much better than toilet paper, just be careful of high pressure water. If there is no water hose in the toilet, use bottled water. We always carry special "bottle" with water when traveling just in case have to go in a place without water. Toilet paper can be used (but you have to bring your own and don't expect it to be available there) to dry yourself.

If you need details on how to actually use the hose and water to clean yourself, let me know.

1652009131265.png

Having just spent almost a month in Indonesia at three different dive resorts and a couple of hotels in Manado and Denpasar I will add to this.

As @Centrals said, if you didn't eat it then it goes in the waste basket and that includes toilet paper. This might be more important on a LOB where a clogged toilet is going to give everyone grief.

Every place I stayed had a facility to clean yourself if there was no toilet paper available.

The way they do it in Indonesia and the greater majority of the world is a much cleaner/hygienic way than what they do in the so called "civilized" western world.
A lot has to do with what people are used to. I spend some time on a general interest international forum called Quora, where a fascinating array of issues (whatever someone cared to ask about) get examined through the lens of various cultural perspectives. Someone there said German men generally sit to pee...and thus don't splatter. It's my understanding people accustomed to bidets really miss them when using U.S. toilets.

The main thing is advance notice of what's in store when visiting foreign places. Like your practice of carrying a bottle (or water, I assume) when apt to need it.

As @Centrals said, if you didn't eat it then it goes in the waste basket and that includes toilet paper. This might be more important on a LOB where a clogged toilet is going to give everyone grief.

Every place I stayed had a facility to clean yourself if there was no toilet paper available.
I spent most of my childhood in a rural setting with a septic tank, and we deposited toilet paper wads in a trash can so as not to need the septic tank emptied nearly as often. That's also the case in the more suburban place I live now. And I've noticed live-aboard toilets tend to have a weak flush and probably clog easily, so that's my practice there (just wish they'd upsize the tiny bathroom trash cans!). From what I understanding Mexican plumbing is also such that this approach is wise, even with land-based resorts.

How common was it to have toilet paper vs. not have it in the places you stayed? Is it pretty much a given it's available if they cater to tourists, or is it 'hit and miss?'

How common was it to have toilet paper vs. not have it in the places you stayed? Is it pretty much a given it's available if they cater to tourists, or is it 'hit and miss?'
It was available everywhere, and in several places there is a notice to deposit it in the trash can and not flush it.

Don't count on it, bring your own if it matters to you that much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom