• $75,001- $100,000

Votes: 18 15.0%
  • $100,001- $250,000

Votes: 47 39.2%
  • $250,001 and over

Votes: 8 6.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This differs only in degree from asking whether polo players have a higher income than the average population. Of course the median income for divers is greater than non-divers. Diving is a very expensive hobby. The pros may not make much money, but they are a very small percentage of all divers.

I also think that, since SB is a global community, that income in $ doesen´t say that much about peoples disposable income since the cost of living in different countries is very different. Even the cost of diving in different countries is different.

Sports participation by income is reported regularly in industry reports by folks like the Sporting Goods Manufacturers Association. None of this is freely available, but I did find this from a summary of an SGMA 2001 report.

"Among outdoor activities, the average household income is highest for snorkeling ($84,000) and scuba diving ($81,500)."

The median U.S. household income for 2001 was $44k.

Alex

P.S. As I write this, with 99 poll respondents, the median is in the $75-100k range, which is what we would expect from the SGMA numbers.

I really think it's more a matter of priority than income. Though I'm not top tier income I dive a lot and actually find it very economical to dive now that I own my own gear. Granted it helps that I'm nearly surrounded by diveable saltwater! :D

Sea ya!

Sasquatch:
I really think it's more a matter of priority than income. Though I'm not top tier income I dive a lot and actually find it very economical to dive now that I own my own gear. Granted it helps that I'm nearly surrounded by diveable saltwater! :D

Sea ya!
Yep! Diving can be much cheaper if you LIVE in Bonaire, LOL!:D

Hemlon:
I have heard that divers, on average, earn more $$ than non-divers. Has anyone else heard this?

Maybe so, but them I'm the exception to that rule. As a professional student I've lived below the poverty line for my whole life, and enjoyed a lot of SCUBA in that time. Of course, you're talking to a guy who frequently hollidays on less then $50 a day...

Bryan

TSandM:
It's the same with my other addiction, dressage (horses). Median income of members of the US Dressage Federation is something around $90K. I just think it reflects the fact that people with more disposable income are more likely to take up expensive sports.

I always thought dressage meant looking for clean underwear.... :)

What's a dollar? If you ask me standard of living is the key. On paper I make enough money to survive and do the things I want but the government in Holland hangs you upside down and shakes you until you feel dizzy. If you have children then they shake you and beat you with a stick at the same time. Before my kids were in school I paid enough for day-care to literally buy a second house.

R..

Let's not kid ourselves, any active (non-pro) diver is better off financially than 90% of the world's population. Instead of bitc*ing, we should be thankful we are so well off.

I apologize in advance to all those minimum wage recreational divers out there, eating rice and beans to afford their next air fill.

Alex

I might have most of you beat. My wife and I are teachers! Let's talk about low incomes! :)
But seriously, if you enjoy something enough, money shouldn't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom