• $75,001- $100,000

Votes: 18 15.0%
  • $100,001- $250,000

Votes: 47 39.2%
  • $250,001 and over

Votes: 8 6.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it's truer to say that people who earn more $$ are more likely to take up an expensive sport like diving than people who don't have much discretionary income.

I also think that it deals more with having the money to afford diving. Also many divers are those that can afford tropical vacations and choose to learn diving to do so on those vacations.

No, how would you even compare that..?

Just about 2 yrs. ago I was a non-diver. Now I'm a diver.

So, would my income automatically get compared now that I'm a diver to a non-diver? I feel like I've jumped ship on the non-divers!

Or .. am I reading this question wrong? If so, I apologize.

It's the same with my other addiction, dressage (horses). Median income of members of the US Dressage Federation is something around $90K. I just think it reflects the fact that people with more disposable income are more likely to take up expensive sports.

I think the average is higher, but there's many groups inside 'divers' that can be all over the place. I think it's more a function of how much your lifestyle involves diving. I'd almost venture to say, the more you dive, the less income you're apt to have (since it's a bigger part of your life). Time is money and unless you're making money under there, you're spending it (some more than others). And there's very VERY few ways to rack up the bucks getting wet.

There's exceptions to this (I know some!), of course, but I'm thinking for every 1 person with a megabucks day job and lots of time to dive, there's at least 10 people that dive alot who retired into a diving lifestyle...or got very serious about it and devote a larger portion of income to it or change their lifestyle/location to dive...or went into the rec industry and therefore make next to no money.

I'm self-employed, and I just started another business, so if there's an option for negative income, I'd pick that!

fsik:
I think the average is higher, but there's many groups inside 'divers' that can be all over the place. I think it's more a function of how much your lifestyle involves diving. I'd almost venture to say, the more you dive, the less income you're apt to have (since it's a bigger part of your life). Time is money and unless you're making money under there, you're spending it (some more than others). And there's very VERY few ways to rack up the bucks getting wet.

There's exceptions to this (I know some!), of course, but I'm thinking for every 1 person with a megabucks day job and lots of time to dive, there's at least 10 people that dive alot who retired into a diving lifestyle...or got very serious about it and devote a larger portion of income to it or change their lifestyle/location to dive...or went into the rec industry and therefore make next to no money.

I'm self-employed, and I just started another business, so if there's an option for negative income, I'd pick that!

Excellent pont!

Being a marine biologist, I know much more about outgo than income!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom