Incident During OW Training- What do you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheRedHead:
I think NAUI is tougher. We also did the CESA with my air turned off and my BC inflator disconnected from about 45 feet.

Thats not NAUI, that is a Instructor who violated standards.

Best,

Chris
NAUI 17055
NAUI Rep Cayman

cerich, were the standards violated by the depth or turning the air off?

TheRedHead:
cerich, were the standards violated by the depth or turning the air off?

max depth cesa 40 ft
turning air off
disconnecting the inflator

I'd also bet on the assent rate (less than 30 f/min by standards)

Did he have a upline?

I don't remember if we used an upline, but there are several buoys in the quarry. The viz was about 5 feet. I didn't have any problems with it, but I thought it was tougher than my pool skills.

TheRedHead:
I don't remember if we used an upline, but there are several buoys in the quarry. The viz was about 5 feet. I didn't have any problems with it, but I thought it was tougher than my pool skills.

who was it? You can PM me if you wish.

TheRedHead:

Thankfully you didn't. Imagine a new student who had a problem, paniced, and then broke away from the instructor....no upline makes it more difficult to control the student...lots of opportunities for things to get REAL ugly REAL fast....they aren't even certified yet.

Did they disconnect your LP hose and turn off you air in the confined water/pool session?

Congrats on not loosing your nerve down below, you did good respecting one of the most importants rules: stop, think react.
It´s a good idea to get your own gear and keep it well serviced.
good luck and keep diving

Otter:
Did they disconnect your LP hose and turn off you air in the confined water/pool session?

Not that I recall, but it's been quite a while ago. Actually, I didn't think anything about it. The instructor was right there with me when I did the CESA. It was a private checkout and at no time did I feel endangered. I felt confident enough after the checkouts to go diving in Belize two weeks later, and those dives seemed easy at 70-80 feet.

I think NAUI is tougher. We also did the CESA with my air turned off and my BC inflator disconnected from about 45 feet.

I thought the same thing - yow! There have been stories of instructors getting DCI from doing multiple CESAs with students - from 20 feet! I can imagine there'd be a lot of chamber rides if this were a common occurrence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom