Incident During OW Training- What do you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Christi:
I am still perplexed by this. If you remove the BCD from your right, you should never have to take the reg out of your mouth. You roll out, set the tank in front of you...the reg in your mouth the whole time...this is why we teach the roll out to the right method. Unless I am totally missing something here. I've also never know the BCD underwater removal exercise to call for putting it back on over the head...maybe that's a NAUI thing. To put it back on, you can also "roll" back into it by wrapping your arm around the back of the tank to keep the unit from floating up while trying to "redress" yourself.

I commend you for keeping your cool and not bolting to the surface. You did EXACTLY theright thing by swimming to your instructor "buddy" in that case...but why did you have to swim to him? He should have been RIGHT there, no more than an arms reach away...and should have donated his octo as soon as he saw you were without a reg in your mouth and having trouble.

not acceptable, and again I commend you for keeping your cool. I'm glad you were not injured and that all of this didn't prevent you from finishing!

If everything you say is accurate, then I thing this absolutely warrants a report to NAUI. He sounds like a poorly informed, poorly prepared, and poorly trained instructor which makes him dangerous.

Actually the OP pointed out this was a PADI course, thats not how I each the skill for sure!... NAUI/PADI/ACUC (instructor for all)

Christi:
Considering that cerich is a NAUI Course Director...I'm sure he is completely aware and current on the standards. I think he's covered it for ya buddy.

another NAUI Course Director (I'm not sure if he is active now) also chimed in here... he was teaching instructors for NAUI at least 20 years before I was even an instructor, his comment was pretty clear as well, NAUI has never done CESA from 60 feet...

Cerich, Christi- this WAS a NAUI course. I clarified this in a subsequent post. As for removing the reg, I was just doing what I was instructed underwater. Again, not making any claims as to the "correct" way to do things, just relaying what happened. The more I think about this and the more feedback I get from this board the more I realize what a bad situation this was.

As for swimming to him, he was about 15ft. away from me. The first time I gave him the OOA sign he just shrugged like "What?" so I bolted to him.

battles2a5:
Cerich, Christi- this WAS a NAUI course. I clarified this in a subsequent post. As for removing the reg, I was just doing what I was instructed underwater. Again, not making any claims as to the "correct" way to do things, just relaying what happened. The more I think about this and the more feedback I get from this board the more I realize what a bad situation this was.

As for swimming to him, he was about 15ft. away from me. The first time I gave him the OOA sign he just shrugged like "What?" so I bolted to him.

feel like sending me a PM with the instructors name? This whole thing is crazy and it's only a matter of time until whoever it is hurts a student.

If you were removing and replacing a BC as part of the open water dive it was not a PADI instructor. PADI does not do a remove and replace as part of the open water dive. If it was part of the confined water portion of the class you were too deep.

Tom, I think it was ascertained on page 2 or 3 that the OP's OW cert is through NAUI, not PADI. I believe he started out as PADI and switched to NAUI in Costa Rica.

battles2a5:

Yes, I understood it was a NAUI Instructor/course as I indicated in my post. I also realize you were only doing what you were taught, so I wan't blaming you...I actually commend you for handling everything so well. I hope that cerich can help you get this taken care of appropriately. Congrats on your certification and keep learning and diving :)

Whoa…made that post last week and didn’t think much of it, and didn’t return to the thread. I didn’t realize it would be such a source of contention!!

First let me preface this by saying that what I think is a good idea for a CESA doesn’t mean that I would perform it that way, were I an instructor, which I am not. Standards like this are for the safety of the student and I would never go outside of them—they would be followed to the letter. However, I generally feel that even though we are not training military or “guerilla-style” divers, as one person posted, I believe that being prepared is generally a good thing. Looking through the accidents and incidents forum is good enough reason for that, with many posts on people’s first OOA situation. Even better, looking back through DAN accident reports is enough to make me want to jump back in the pool and review a few essential skills.

About doing a CESA: even IF one were performed like I described (45fsw, LP hose disconnected, air off), and the student could not complete it, the instructor MUST be with the student during the entire ascent—to prevent breath-holding and in case the student has difficulty. While NAUI standards state that it must be performed from 15fsw, I think that most people here could probably agree that if one were to run out of air it would probably (but not definitely) be at a deeper depth than 15fsw. Even if you did a CESA in a class from 45fsw with your air off, that doesn’t mean that I advocated breathing down your regs after turning the air off—that would at least give the student a quick source of air should they need it. If a student can’t complete a CESA from 45fsw with even multiple possible breaths off of a regulator then I believe that perhaps they should be in better shape.
Remember that for a diver to have to do a CESA there must be a LONG string of events that have gone wrong—not paying attention to your air, possible equipment malfunction, losing your buddy…it should always be a last resort option.

In my OW class we practiced CESA’s in the pool, specifically going across the pool from the diving well to the shallow end. The diving well is ~12-13ft deep, and it’s a 25-yard pool. So the distance that this is performed is ~75ft. The students are monitored the entire distance of the pool for breath holding. Some students can’t make it, some can, but it isn’t for any kind of skill check-off or requirement, it’s specifically just to show them what it’s like. CESA’s are also practiced a little more like how they are done in on the OW training dives, going up with the instructor from the bottom.

Personally I believe that the main issue in any OW class is diver safety, not only in the class but also later on when the students are diving on their own. I just feel that doing a CESA from 15fsw isn’t really the best way to show someone what a true CESA would feel like.

To Christi—yes I’m 20 years old; glad you can read my profile. My rescue instructor has been teaching for ~40 years and is also a NAUI course director and I believe his instructor number is in the 3000s—that would be where I got the information about 60fsw CESAs from. Oh, and I don’t particularly appreciate the attitude that being 20-years old counts me out. Everyone has something to add. No hard feelings. :)

Just to be sure about what I said earlier I emailed my rescue instructor several minutes ago to clarify his original comment; perhaps I misheard him. I specifically asked for dates and (if possible) if he would be able to get me the text. I will be happy to post the results whenever he returns my email.

In my OW class we followed current NAUI standards to the letter for our OW training dives, so please don’t think that we were doing anything beyond them. My instructor is almost ‘fanatical’ about following standards and keeping his students safe, so like I said, we follow them (in cases like this where they can’t be superceded by something more) to the letter. For other cases, ie classroom time, pool time, repetition of skills—we go way beyond.

Just to be perfectly clear so that nothing I just said could be misconstrued, here is a disclaimer:
I am not instructor from any agency.
Any statements that didn’t deal specifically with official standards are my own personal opinion and should be taken as such.
If I WERE an instructor I would always follow such standards to the letter, end of discussion. Instructors who blatantly disregard such standards, IMHO, have no business teaching.

battles2a5:
Anyway, the long of the short is, what do you do in this situation? Do you report the dive shop to PADI? DAN? Is there any type of recourse for these type of incidents? I just can't help imagining somebody panicking and getting hurt (or worse) due to negligence when it could have been prevented if the proper people were notified.

You seem to have been unlucky - assuming that your instructor and course were PADI - you should certainly express concerns to PADI HQ. Look up contact details on the PADI website. But, before you do, make quite sure, by checking your OW manual, that you did have gaps in your training.

PADI - and all of us who teach under the Organisation's banner - take quality control very seriously. After all, we have to trust the certifications presented to us - and uniformity and consistency of training are critical.

Your experience sounds atypical, but it deserves examination.

The fact that you were removing your regulator during a BC removal and replacement is unusual - and that the instructor didn't immediately respond with air when you were clearly in distress - seems to bear out your concerns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom