Incident During OW Training- What do you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did BC removal underwater in SSI OW class. You didn't have to remove the regulator, just remove and slide it around as if to untangle something on the valve while keeping your right arm in the shoulder strap. Then you just slide it back around to replace it. Not every class is PADI.

TheRedHead:
Not every class is PADI.

Agreed, but the original poster did mention complaining to PADI so an assumption can be made in this case I think. :wink:

I agree with others, something is fishy. The story, the facts, the instructor, the gear, something. Please don't take this personally Battles, it's just that this is the internet so nobody really knows what happened but you (and how you have described it) and when the facts don't line up the way they would normally, then those of us who have been around here for a while start to have alarms go off, lol.

If the story is correct from Battles, then Battles should complain to PADI, assuming that was the agency.

It is possible that you bit the mouthpiece off in the heat of the moment. Seriously though, nice job not freaking out! Really good work keeping your cool!!:D Sounds like you are already on your way to becoming a safe diver. Always discuss and learn! I also suggest filling in your profile a bit more. That way you will be seen more as a human and not just some thing posting out of the blue from god knows where, lol. It will also help others with any questions you have. We will have a better idea of where and when you dive.

If it were in Costa Rica, I can believe the poor rental gear. I've encountered some shabby gear diving in the Caribbean. I guess I missed the PADI part.

I am a PADI Instructor, and Oly50/50 is right BCD removal/replacement underwater is not a skill taught in Open Water dives in the PADI system. It is supposed to be taught in Confined Water. BCD Removal/Replace at the surface is part of PADI Open Water Training. Other agencies may differ and teach it underwater on the openwater dives. I am not saying it is unsafe to do so. The point of practicing in Confined Water is so you will be comfortable to do it at any depth. PADI has just not designed their class that way. Simple answer is sounds like he did something wrong.
What alarms me most is you say you were instructed to remove your regulator during this BC removal. Even in confined water an instructor is not supposed to combine those skills. Mostly to not confuse or overly complicate any one skill.
The only acceptable reason I can think of would be to put a good regulator in your mouth. For example if you were sucking water before the reg came out of your mouth. PADI's quality assurance program is in place, and you have every right to report these issues, if you so wish. PADI will evaluate if they feel action is necessary, and to what extent it will be. (enough said)
I am glad to hear your AOW class went smoothly. Please do not hold a grudge with PADI instructors as a whole. I know many good instructors from many different agencies. I recommend you take classes with the instructor and shop you feel most comfortable with. Make that a priority over just what agency they are affiliated with. Refer family and friends to a specific instructor you trust and have experience with if at all possible.

TheRedHead:
We did BC removal underwater in SSI OW class. You didn't have to remove the regulator, just remove and slide it around as if to untangle something on the valve while keeping your right arm in the shoulder strap. Then you just slide it back around to replace it. Not every class is PADI.

Were you in the ocean or a pool?

TheRedHead:
If it were in Costa Rica, I can believe the poor rental gear. I've encountered some shabby gear diving in the Caribbean. I guess I missed the PADI part.

Battles2a5:
After a discover scuba 2-tank dive in Costa Rica, I decided to take a 2 week dive trip and get my OW and AOW."
No indication that the training was in Costa Rica. Also, I would consider it rather unusual to take both an O/W course AND AOW on a 2 week dive trip. Perhaps he/she meant in preparation for a 2-week dive trip, he/she took an O/W and AOW.

battles2a5:
- As soon as I rolled out of it I took my reg out so I could un-twist my air hose (as was instructed). When I put the reg back in my mouth, I pulled for air and got a mouth full of water. I coughed, tried again, and got the same result. As I mention above the bottom visibility was bad, and my BC apart, so I had trouble finding my octo.

So here's the problem. Once we got back on shore I inspected my regulator. Upon inspection I noticed that my mouthpiece had split where it connects to the secondary. I could almost fit 2 fingers in the hole.

Anyway, the long of the short is, what do you do in this situation? Do you report the dive shop to PADI? DAN? Is there any type of recourse for these type of incidents? I just can't help imagining somebody panicking and getting hurt (or worse) due to negligence when it could have been prevented if the proper people were notified.
You're not dead, and now realize the importance of checking your own stuff, and always knowing where your alternate air source is, so I'd just consider it as extra, free, "advanced" training and move on.

There's nobody to report anybody to that is in a position to do anything significant. PADI, for example, really only cares that the person who trained you followed their standards and paid their fee.

DAN likes to keep divers safe and healthy, but has no authority to do anything.

Congratulations on surviving your first "learning experience". :cool:

Terry

Otter:
Were you in the ocean or a pool?

I was in the Madison AL quarry.

Oh boy, a lot of new posts since I logged on last time. Well, to most of you - thank you for the constructive feedback. This has been helpful.

For those of you who think I am a troll- what could I possibly have to gain by lying on an internet discussion board about an incident that did not hurt or kill anybody and if anything would make me look incompetent (e.g. not finding my octo). However, for the appeasement of the crowd, I will offer the following clarifying information:

- I suppose I should not have singled out PADI in my initial response. The shop I used was a PADI shop but the PADI instructors were not there so the owner certified us through NAUI. So I should have said "file a compaint w/ NAUI", not PADI. I didn't realize people would jump on that. My apologies.
- We did two types of BC drills, both in confined and open water. The first was to open the cumberbun (sp?) and chest strap, then pull the BC over your head. Once it was off, we would put it back on reversing this process. Second, you would undo the cumberbun, then unbuckle the left shoulder strap and roll out of the BC to your right. Once it was off, you would untangle the reg line (you can rotate the hose, I was instructed to take it out and rotate) re-buckle the shoulder strap, position the BC like you would in the first drill and pull it back on. Now, I make no claim that this is a proper or sanctioned exercise, I was simply stating that it happened. Flame away if you must.
- This was in Belize, not CR
- I did take my AOW shortly after my OW. I was diving 2-3 tanks a day for several days after I got my OW, and the instructor at the dive shop said I was ready and suggested that I do it, so I did. Again, being a new diver I don't know if this was right or wrong, but I felt comfortable doing all the skills. Again, flame me if you must.

Again, sorry for offending anyone. I am new to the sport and the board. If you read my first post my concern here is the safety of others that may be put in the same position and wondering if anything should be done to address this. So for those who addressed that question, thank you.

battles2a5:
Oh boy, a lot of new posts since I logged on last time. Well, to most of you - thank you for the constructive feedback. This has been helpful.

For those of you who think I am a troll- what could I possibly have to gain by lying on an internet discussion board about an incident that did not hurt or kill anybody and if anything would make me look incompetent (e.g. not finding my octo). However, for the appeasement of the crowd, I will offer the following clarifying information:

- I suppose I should not have singled out PADI in my initial response. The shop I used was a PADI shop but the PADI instructors were not there so the owner certified us through NAUI. So I should have said "file a compaint w/ NAUI", not PADI. I didn't realize people would jump on that. My apologies.
- We did two types of BC drills, both in confined and open water. The first was to open the cumberbun (sp?) and chest strap, then pull the BC over your head. Once it was off, we would put it back on reversing this process. Second, you would undo the cumberbun, then unbuckle the left shoulder strap and roll out of the BC to your right. Once it was off, you would untangle the reg line (you can rotate the hose, I was instructed to take it out and rotate) re-buckle the shoulder strap, position the BC like you would in the first drill and pull it back on. Now, I make no claim that this is a proper or sanctioned exercise, I was simply stating that it happened. Flame away if you must.
- This was in Belize, not CR
- I did take my AOW shortly after my OW. I was diving 2-3 tanks a day for several days after I got my OW, and the instructor at the dive shop said I was ready and suggested that I do it, so I did. Again, being a new diver I don't know if this was right or wrong, but I felt comfortable doing all the skills. Again, flame me if you must.

Again, sorry for offending anyone. I am new to the sport and the board. If you read my first post my concern here is the safety of others that may be put in the same position and wondering if anything should be done to address this. So for those who addressed that question, thank you.

Dealing with the comments about trolling. Since you are new, I will explain that its not unusual for people to post trolls either (1) they are bored and like stiring the pot, (2) have an agenda (PADI bashing is the number #2 favorite activity on the board -- right behind slipping in sexual innuendos) and its been known for people to fabricate scenarios which furthers their agenda, or (3) "fill in the blank here". I don't think anyone took any offense, so no worries there. Speaking for myself, my suggestion about your safety was not a flame. I truly meant that if your Instructor placed you in such a situation as poor viz, poor equipment, incomplete skills that you should make sure you are solid before going into more challenging environments.

I am sure a NAUI Instructor will speak up, but I believe that NAUI gives their Instructors a lot of leeway in how they present/teach the required skills. So while what they taught (and didn't teach) would clearly violate PADI standards, such MAY NOT be the case for a NAUI course.

Was the "Instructor at the dive shop" who said you were "ready" for AOW, the same person who didn't teach you about safety checks or a different instructor?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom