Inadvertent but valuable weighting lesson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes- typically, a heavier and warmer undergarment is also more positively buoyant. Requiring additional lead to offset.
When I dived in Puget Sound my one and only time, the water temperature was about 46°, and I figured I would need the heavy undergarments I had purchased but never worn in our more moderate water. What a mistake! Not only was I sweating during the dives, I did not think there was enough lead in Seattle to get me under water.

When I dived in Puget Sound my one and only time, the water temperature was about 46°, and I figured I would need the heavy undergarments I had purchased but never worn in our more moderate water. What a mistake! Not only was I sweating during the dives, I did not think there was enough lead in Seattle to get me under water.
Yes indeed. Only add that thicker undergarment and associated lead if you really know you need it! I dive the same undergarment here in So Cal that I dove all those years living up in the Pacific NW.

Thanks. It's so simple it plum eluded most.
I carry about 44lb diving in our cold water. People believe it is too much. No question that I can drop 10lb or more, easily. But I'm old, I don't move much and I like being warm. If I had to swim hard for 5 minutes I would overheat and have to shrink my suit and blow up my BCD. I don't plan on doing that if I can help it.

I did not think there was enough lead in Seattle to get me under water.
I love my current undersuit, it keeps me toasty warm in pretty cold water. Only problem is the amount of lead I have to carry. A mate of mine claimed - to a bunch of about 60 seasoned divers - that "no-one ever needs 14 kilos with a single tank". I need more...

Of course with thicker undergarments you need more weight. The point I was making was I won't dive with more weight with the same undergarments just to have a larger bubble for warmth. I don't want to manage a larger bubble. Rather than wear the same undergarments and add more weight to have more air in the dry suit, I will will thicker undergarments so I can have the minimum amount of air in the suit.

It seemed like an earlier comment said that for the same undergarments they would wear more lead to have a bigger bubble to stay warmer.

I won't dive with more weight with the same undergarments just to have a larger bubble for warmth.
No one asked you to.
It seemed
So, you assumed. I didn't invent the phrase but I do stick by it. I don't care how many people want to try to bash me for it.

So indeed: weight=warmth. Thanks to everyone who supported my thesis.

No.

I know you are the boss. But... I dive in temps down to 39 Fahrenheit.

If you are cold get a better undersuit. If still cold use a compressed neoprene suit. If you are still cold get a heated undersuit. If you are still cold skip the dive and enjoy other hobbies.

Too much gas in a drysuit is horrible. I dive mine with the valve all the way open and tight. Forget about feet first ascents - you have other problems. Not least having massive problems in wrecks with depth changes.

Too much gas in a drysuit is horrible.
It's never bothered me. Ever. If I go to thicker undergarments, I just deal. I somehow lost track of my Weasels, but they were awesome when the water was in the 50s or lower.

Of course with thicker undergarments you need more weight. The point I was making was I won't dive with more weight with the same undergarments just to have a larger bubble for warmth. I don't want to manage a larger bubble. Rather than wear the same undergarments and add more weight to have more air in the dry suit, I will will thicker undergarments so I can have the minimum amount of air in the suit.

It seemed like an earlier comment said that for the same undergarments they would wear more lead to have a bigger bubble to stay warmer.
Yes, I do that.

Back
Top Bottom