Inadvertent but valuable weighting lesson

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fixed your statement, BTW :cool:
You broke my statement. There are no valves to add or release air on your undergarments.
I guess I dive dry slightly different.

I only put enough air in the suit to loft/eliminate squeeze. No more. If I'm cold with this then I just wear heavier undergarments rather that add more air.
You're really saying the same thing here. If you add more undergarments, you have to add more weight as well, n'est pas?

I understand the need to split hairs here, but the reality is the warmer you want to be means the more weight you'll have to carry. If I'm cold, I will not use my wing for any additional buoyancy, choosing to maximize the amount of air in my dry suit instead. In reality, I rarely use my wing if I'm diving a dry suit even if I'm not cold. But when I'm cold, I empty that BCD completely out!

Caveat: almost all of my drysuit diving is with twin steel tanks in a cave. I don't wear drysuits often... in fact I can't remember the last time I did. I usually dive in a bathing suit and t-shirt instead.When you're built like a manatee, you get to dive like one.

In drysuit diving: Weight=Warmth.
To a degree. I have no problems adding a couple of kilos during winter so as not to run my suit as tight as possible. And when I add undergarments, I usually have to add a little weight. But I really don't recommend heavy overweighting, even in a drysuit. That comes with the same issues as being overweighted in a wetsuit. And if the diver uses their suit as their primary buoyancy compensator, there'll be added complications of a large bubble that moves around as you shift your trim. Also, since the suit vents air a lot slower than a BCD, it's (IMO) not a very good idea to have all your buoyancy in the suit. The only time I have an empty wing, is at my safety stop with little gas left in my tank.

I only put enough air in the suit to loft/eliminate squeeze. No more. If I'm cold with this then I just wear heavier undergarments rather that add more air. This allows the least amount of air in the suit which allows for the smallest air bubble to deal with and the least amount of weight to dive with.
There's always a balance, though. I've noticed that those who like to run their suit very tight, more often have problems staying warm than those of us who are a little more liberal with the amount of air we put in our suit.

There are no valves to add or release air on your undergarments.
No, of course not. They're not needed, as air can flow though them towards the suit's dump valve. But unless you're using an uncompressed neoprene suit, it's not the suit that compresses. It's the undergarments.

In reality, I rarely use my wing if I'm diving a dry suit even if I'm not cold. But when I'm cold, I empty that BCD completely out!

Caveat: almost all of my drysuit diving is with twin steel tanks in a cave.
How much gas is that? I don't even like to compensate for the ~3000 surface liters (~100 cuft) I carry in my single, by putting all that buoyancy into my suit. That bubble is too large for my taste.

How much gas is that?
It's always been more than manageable. I dive a Fusion when I use a drysuit and they do well dispersing that air pretty evenly.
No, of course not. They're not needed,
Here in the Keys, I've actually just worn a t-shirt and shorts when the air was sorta cold and I didn't want to dive wet. In the caves I'll wear thermal underwear and that's about it. But then I rarely get cold and if I do, I just add a bit more air... if I can. I dive mostly nekkid because I'm so cold tolerant.

Oh and also, a good way to not lose your weight pouches is... not having them! You're welcome :p:bounce:

And a good way to not have a weight belt slide down around your ankles is... not wearing one! :p:bounce:

I've picked my poison and prefer the pouches. Especially over thick fleece undergarments I find it tough to keep the weight belt in place.

Weight harness :wink:

I guess I dive dry slightly different.

I only put enough air in the suit to loft/eliminate squeeze. No more. If I'm cold with this then I just wear heavier undergarments rather that add more air. This allows the least amount of air in the suit which allows for the smallest air bubble to deal with and the least amount of weight to dive with.
Do you not need more weight with heavier undergarments?

Yes- typically, a heavier and warmer undergarment is also more positively buoyant. Requiring additional lead to offset.
Yeah, the point I was making.

Back
Top Bottom