in what order do you buy gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kulot

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Sorry if I'm repeating a question that might have already been asked but I searched the board and couldn't find the answer.

I've already purchased my wetsuit, booties, fins, mask and snorkel, which I bought for my certification course and now that I'm certified I'm wondering what I should buy next.

I was thinking of purchasing a suunto dive computer first then get a regulator set and finish off with buying a BC.

I figured that I can always rent a BC and Reg set first. My instructor rents out regs and BC's at really reasonable prices and none of the equipment that he rents out is more than a year old and they are very well maintained. But no one rents out computers(at least not that I know of).

Are my purchase priorities correct?

There is no correct order. Your proposed order sounds great.

You want a BC that fits well and you can get used to, so I often recommend that first, but you have a good rental situation lined up.

You want a dependable regulator to travel with, but until you start making dive trips you can sure rent that as well.

You do need to own and be very familiar with your computer, and the Suunto is a great one (all the models of that brand are very user friendly).

Happy diving to you,
theskull

I say computer first, then BC, regs last. Regs all work the same.. you breathe off of them. Having your own BC will go much farther towards your gear being the same every time you dive and keeping things standardized, which will increase your enjoyment.

If your diving is limited by air supply rather than by NDL as calculated by tables, then buying a computer won't do anything for you. New divers often are limited by air rather than by NDL time, and this is even more true if you are diving sites that are more or less constant depth. OTOH, if you are having to cut dives short because of the crudeness of tracking dives with tables, then get a computer first.

Unfamiliarity with BCDs has gotten some divers in trouble. Having your own BC also makes it easier for you to bring the important equipment that doesn't come with rental gear (signal sausage, shears, knife, slate or waterproof notebook).

I'd buy the reg last.

If you like a particular piece of gear that you rent, be sure and write down the exact model number and size for later reference (another good entry for your logbook).

Charlie

New divers rarely come close to their NDLs due to poor air consumption and the fact that nearly all their dives will be either shallow or deep enough that they will run low on air long before reaching their ndl. A computer is definately unnecessary until you improve buoyancy and air consumption. I've known a lot of divers, myself included that bought BCs, only to find a better model within a year or two. I went through several BCs before diving a backplate/wing combination. I'll never use a BC again. Most regulators on the market will serve your diving needs no matter what other equipment you are wearing. You could wear out your wetsuit, BC, fins and boots long before you need to buy another reg. I would definately recommend getting a quality reg first. Rent a few different BCs or try a backplate if you possibly can before spending a few hundred dollars on something you will replace in a year or two.

I think it depends a bit on where you'll be diving.
Exposure suit would be top of my list if I was diving cold water and couldn't rent a drysuit.
Computer would be last.
I bought my BCD first, and ended up replacing it.
I'm actually using none of the equipment that I bought when I started diving (I use my reg when I dive singles), having said that there's nothing really wrong with any of it and I could use it all.
A lot of your equipment choices end up depending on the diving that you do, and the first few dives you do might not be indicative of the sorts of dives your doing in 6 or 12 months or the people that you'll be diving with then.

I agree with MaxBT, rent and try as many BC's as you can. I bought my equipment and BC around my 14th dive, 6 months later I purchased BP & W. There was nothing wrong with the BC I purchased, but at the time I didn't have enough knowledge to make an informed decision for the style of diving I WANT TO DO. I'm not suggesting you need a BP & W, I would just wait until you've had more time to expose yourself to everything that is available...beyond your LDS. If you really want to buy a BC, consider buying something use from your local LDS. Most sell off the rental gear each year or so and its been check out by their tech. This way you will have minimized you outlay in the case you find that "got to have" BC.

I would buy my Regs first then my computer. The reg is pretty easy to research and it will probably be a long time before you find yourself wanting something different.

BTW, I've kept my old BC and I don't regret the purchase because I will need it when I do my DM class since most shops will not let you use a backplate/wing.

Keep reading everything you can, within Scubaboard & out.

I have never liked renting anything except tanks (and only that because I fly alot to the dive destination). I've seen too much rental equipment screw up and when you're offshore it's too late to take it back to the shop and complain about a blown dive.... (1ST) buy the best regulator you can afford with a good octopus and gauges. (2ND) find a good fitting BC ... it may be a jacket or back inflated model (have you ever tried diving with a horsecollar ? ) but it should be something that you feel really confortable with. (3TH) buy your computer last ... learn how to use your gauges and dive tables so if the computer acts up you can figure a solution in your head. If something doesn't look or sound right know enought to question it. ... LAST READ THREAD www.scubaboard.com/t70450-.html about some large SCUBA makers that have not honored their written warranties on some of their products before buying anything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom