In Northeast, Tri-lam or crushed Neoprene?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

neoprene is pretty much the standard for Jersey wreck divers. They are warmer, more resilent to sharp edges and such and when taken care of will last a good long time. I have a CF200 and it great! Fabric dries faster and is great for regular recreational diving. If you are planning on ocean and wreck diving, spend the extra and get crushed neoprene.

What about the black rubber bag?

Vucanized rubber for me. Of course I don't have to buy, service, or repair it myself. Work gives it to me.
Its heavy and bulky, but it dries very fast and is almost indestructable.

I dive a crushed neoprene suit and my wife dives a trilam suit. I don't notice any big difference between how dry we are...as neither of us has ever had an issue. My suit is probably warmer than hers though.

Shane

What about the black rubber bag?

Vucanized rubber for me. Of course I don't have to buy, service, or repair it myself. Work gives it to me.
Its heavy and bulky, but it dries very fast and is almost indestructable.

as you said, work takes care of it for you ... not many "non-commercial" divers have the means to look after the vulcanized rubber, but i believe what you are saying because research has told me they're pretty much the best of the best (not even dui can touch them) ... but fit would be an issue for me as well since they tend to be less form fitting for tech diving (and a hair less streamlined)
but thanks much for the input

I have a shell and a crushed neoprene. It's said that I will need more weight when wearing the neoprene. On the contrary, it stays the same for me because with the neoprene I tend to wear less undergarment. With the shell I have to bulk up on undergarment layers.

As far as drysuits taking too long to dry...my neoprene drys up overnight. I don't need it to dry up during my SI.

As far as one suit weighing more than the other, I'm confused. Is that weight in water? Because if it's weight out of water after the dive, I don't feel it.

I have a tri-lam Mares. It works for me because I only do recreational diving so my dive time rarely exceeds 50 minutes single tank. I can dive in April (Ohio Gilboa quarry) with a full fleece or dive in September (wrecks in Kingkston or Brockville Ontario) and be comfortable with a speedo and t-shirt. The advantage to the tri-lam is that I am less likely to overheat in the warmer weather when it is still too chilly for the 3mm. I have a 7mm but just hate getting in and out of it. Try them both on before you buy. Rent and dive them both if possible.

I have one of each - A 2MM compressed neo, and a trilam. I like the way the neoprene stretches, and fits me. The trilam doesn't give at all in tighter sections, and is baggy in others - could be the fit - but still.

I also have one of each type for sale - I'm on Cape cod.

I weigh in on the side of tri-lam..... I've used mine on ice dives, and off the of Mass. with water temp's around 42 degrees F.

With bottom times around 60 plus minutes I have not felt to cold, its all in the correct under-garment.

When I was looking for suits I felt the crush neo. was to tight, I seem to like things a little baggy........ but thats just me.......

I weigh in on the side of tri-lam..... I've used mine on ice dives, and off the of Mass. with water temp's around 42 degrees F.

With bottom times around 60 plus minutes I have not felt to cold, its all in the correct under-garment.

When I was looking for suits I felt the crush neo. was to tight, I seem to like things a little baggy........ but thats just me.......

ok, ill bite, what undergarment have you found success with?
i was considering the one phil ellis has on sale right now along with a thicker BARE UG

As far as drysuits taking too long to dry...my neoprene drys up overnight. I don't need it to dry up during my SI.

That's not bad at all.

Maybe it's more humid where I try to dry it, but my CF200 socks on my CLx450 take about 2-3 days to dry completely, inside and out. Then I roll it up and bag it, so I like to have it real dry.

As far as one suit weighing more than the other, I'm confused. Is that weight in water? Because if it's weight out of water after the dive, I don't feel it.

You're right, the weight of the suit isn't much of a consideration, if at all. I notice it only a little.

What's probably more important to me is the flexibility and mobility provided by the lighter material.

I'm very tempted to switch back to my TLS350 because the material is so light and supple it hardly feels like I'm even wearing it.

Dave C

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom