In Northeast, Tri-lam or crushed Neoprene?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonzoTheGreat

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,
I searched before posting this and didn't find this exact question, most prior posts seem to compare BARE to DUI. So here it is, other than the drying time (up to 40 hours for the neoprene) what are some of the pros and cons of TRI-LAM versus CRUSHED NEOPRENE? I'll primarily be using it in the northeast and usually use a skin suit or just bathing suit in the tropics (so I doubt I'll be traveling with the dry suit much).
Thanks in advance,
Ron

Well IMHO, the answer is yes, get tri-lam or neoprene. I have neoprene and my dive buddy has trilam. I can wear less clothed underneth to stay warm. That's about the only difference. The weighting is about the same.

Neoprene will keep you warmer, but it will require more lead to sink you.

Crushed neo is inherently warmer than trilam, and probabll more rugged. That said I wear a trilam (dui clx 450). I feel trilam gives better range of motion. That combined with the faster drying time and lesser native insulation (I dive dry until the water temp gets to where I want a 3mm) made it a no brainer for me.

Some trilams (like the tls) feel pretty flimsy, the clx is like a rugged pair of jeans.

From my limited expirience I will stay dryer in tri lam suits and as far as staying warm staying dry in cold water is staying warm in cold water.

Are harder to get into and out of than fabric suits.

Generally require more ballast weight to achieve neutral buoyancy than fabric suits.

Tend to be damp around seals and in some cases around valves.

I use a DUI Clx450. I love it. I dive mostly shore dives.

Nicely cut suit. Provides plenty of mobility.

Rugged material, but doesn't weigh much.

Dries quickly.

I also have an old DUI TLS350. I actually like its lighter material, but it's more prone to cuts from barnacles, etc.

If you'll be wreck diving, you might want to look at the crushed neoprene for the added cut resistance. Unfortunately, it will weigh more and definitely will take longer to dry.

Dave C

If you're anywhere near danvers ma come on by. I am a dui dealer and have all the styles they make available to check out, try on and even test dive. All of my demo suits are equipped with zip seals so there will be no compromise on seal fit.

I use a neoprene suit, but I would like to get a shell suit for my next suit. Either way they will keep you dry, therefore warmer than a wetsuit. It is a matter of preference.

I have both, I find the neo to be my current favorite, I find it to fit a little closer, and it has a little stretch. It is heavier takes much longer to dry, you can't go wrong with either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom