In need of Hawaii dive reports...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Has anyone dove the past 5 days here in the state?

If you have, PLEEZE share it here - Some of us have not gotten wet in a week and are in need of some stories to tide us over till the storm passes (I was told another 10 days of rain are expected :( )

Mahalo, Tim

I saw some boats out off Molokini! I think BBscuba was out there too... Not sure though! Maybe Blesi can give us a report? :)

At least with the reduced traffic they can do 2 dives at Molokini... It's very mild right now... During the storm I could see massive white water off Reef's end.. looked bad but it's nice now!

Sean

I've dove in Oregon this week for crying out loud and trust me, it isn't as good here our best day than it is there on your worst :)

Pansies :)

okay Tim.. here ya' go..
'been diving Lanai Lookout and Halona Blowhole this week.. including today.

as C would say, i was the "skeerdest" i've ever been diving at Halona Blowhole on Thursday. conditions weren't particularly rough, but with the rain and wind, the viz was barely 10 feet. as i was entering the canyon to the right, i was slowly making my way up to go over a boulder.. in the murk, i spied a solid triangular gray-silver shape.. then i realized, OMG!!! :11: i was face-to-face with THE biggest Great Barracuda i've ever seen! a stocky 6 feet and well over 100 lbs! this thing was built like a telephone pole. rightly so, he wasn't budgin' or flinchin'.. totally standing his ground. and believe you me.. i obliged him. i completely exhaled every last bit of air out of my lungs to sink to the sand.. and allowed him to swim overhead (as i made a few deals the man upstairs). THAT was THE longest minute i've ever spent underwater. needless to say, i only did one dive that day. (and NO, i didn't bother/dare get my camera out and risk having the flash go off in its face)

well, today, the viz was slightly better at Lanai Lookout. here's a slideshow:

Slideshow of 07-12-08 Lanai Lookout - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

a Zebra Moray was guarding a Tiger Cowrie..
then saw a Black Urchin guarding a bigger Tiger Cowrie.
the Hawks-Bill Turtle was in it's usual place.
then.. it was Tako Time.. saw 4 different octopus today too.
saw my first Pimpled-Basket Snail today.. it was in the exit swim-thru.
pimpledbasket1.jpg

and seems frog-fish are out in droves this time of year..
saw a nize single, showing off its web-feet.
then, in a crevase, i found a pair, maybe engaged in the "discovery channel" thang :wink:
2frogs2.jpg

hope you get to dive soon tim.

Thanks VlbueV - That was a great report - That barracuda must have been quite the sight - no pics I assume?

Hoping I'm back to work on Monday, if not I'm gonna see what it's like up here anyway... getting tired of watching the mud flow down the street and into the water :(

Al - just you be quiet ... we're a wee bit spoilt over here ok? And soon you will be as well :wink:

Aloha, Tim

P.S. Molokini has remained divable I've been told, but my Lanai trip was cancelled today :(

Hi guys!

Our boat was one of the boats out at Molokini this morning. I didn't dive today but the guys said they had 2 good dives there. They said it was about 50 ft viz max. :) Lots of sharks and they too saw the Great Barracuda up close and getting his teeth cleaned at Reef's End.

Thanks Blesi,

I've never heard of vis dropping below 100ft at Molokini ... and that was a "bad" day ... Glad they had some good dives though.

Wow VBlueV, LOVE that shot of the frogfish with the 2 striped cleaner shrimps right next to them!

Hopefully the rain will stop and all will clear before we come to Maui in 2 weeks. Fingers crossed and prayers said....over and over and over. :wink:

50 foot on a really bad day, imagine that. Lemme see, I had about 5 foot on saturday and about half that on sunday.

Can't wait to be spoiled Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom