In Kihei 11/5 - 11/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't do boat dives when I'm there. The shore dives are awsome and have kept me busy so far. Someday I will end up doing a boat dive. I highly recommend Shaka Doug for a guide, he showed us around 5 caves pointing out critters I would have missed completely. He is easy to get ahold of, has any gear you could need and is a true ocean lover. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but bubbles , kill nothing but time! I would recommend 5 caves and Malo boat ramp. Malo is number one for my next visit!

We'll probably to 3 shore dives, maybe more if we do some nights. I have looked at Shaks's website tonight............looks like a good option for a few dives. I'll look up malo.

We'll have all of our own gear and won't need anything but tanks and weights.

Thanks!

Doug at Shaka Divers is great for shore diving. You might want look at Extended Horizons for the run to the Cathedrals. They run a fast boat out of Mala Harbor which is on the north side of Lahaina. It is a drive from Kihei but the shorter boat ride out and back may make it a wash time wise.

"Malo boat ramp" is actually Mala Wharf in Lahaina...

Mala boat ramp is "actually" the name of the boat ramp that boats use to get in the water at Mala. There are 2 small piers at Mala boat ramp.

Mala Wharf is the condemned "wharf" that is adjacent to Mala boat ramp, and the collapsed, submerged portion of Mala Wharf is the dive site named Mala Wharf.

Good info everyone! Mahalo!

I still would like to hear more about anyone's experience on the Molokai hammerhead dive. Is it really just a deep blue water hover if the hammerheads are a 'no show' ?

Doug at Shaka Divers is great for shore diving. You might want look at Extended Horizons for the run to the Cathedrals. They run a fast boat out of Mala Harbor which is on the north side of Lahaina. It is a drive from Kihei but the shorter boat ride out and back may make it a wash time wise.

Extended Horizons uses the Mala Wharf, is that the same dock Lahaina Divers uses? I can't find any reference on LD's website that refers to where the boat is......just their shop.

Also, I see an obscure reference on EH's website to Molokai yet it's not anywhere on their schedule, do you happen to know if they still go to Molokai?

Mahalo!

EH only goes to Molokai when they have the right blend of divers and conditions are perfect....not often as far as I know. Lahaina Diver's boats are moored at Lahaina Harbor. EH trailers their boat and launches at Mala Ramp. If you want a guaranteed day of going to Molokai, Lahaina Divers are the only ones who actually do a regularly scheduled trip. Of course if conditions are horrific, I'm sure they cancel, but I don't believe that happens often.

My friends who used to and currently work for Lahaina Divers say they see hammerheads about 80% of charters. Sometimes it is just one and sometimes it is dozens.

I second this advice. Less boat, more shore.

EH only goes to Molokai when they have the right blend of divers and conditions are perfect....not often as far as I know. Lahaina Diver's boats are moored at Lahaina Harbor. EH trailers their boat and launches at Mala Ramp. If you want a guaranteed day of going to Molokai, Lahaina Divers are the only ones who actually do a regularly scheduled trip. Of course if conditions are horrific, I'm sure they cancel, but I don't believe that happens often.

My friends who used to and currently work for Lahaina Divers say they see hammerheads about 80% of charters. Sometimes it is just one and sometimes it is dozens.

Well, that's good news..........80% of the time makes it less of a gamble. I think we'll go for it. I did call them and they said they saw some yesterday. Even a 1% chance of seeing them in Molokai is a better chance than I have here in Phoenix : )

Looks like Sunday with Shaka, Monday with B&B, Tuesday with Lahaina, Wednesday with whoever goes to Lanai (I think Lahaina or EH), fit in a night dive (shore) somewhere and Thursday back with Shaka.........Friday to play tourist........

Mahalo!

Back
Top Bottom