In Kihei 11/5 - 11/12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AZdiver1279

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We're in Maui for the first time 11/5 - 11/12 and are looking for any recommendations from locals or those that have recently dived in Maui. So, here's a list of what we want to do and some questions. Thanks in advance for any replies.

1) We really (really, really) want to see the hammerheads in Molokai. However, it seems only one operator is offering this dive. Any recommendations? I saw one post that was negative, not sure if it is a typical complaint to pay $200 and see no hammerheads - we all know there's no guarantees on what you will see but is it more likely or less likely to actually see hammerheads with Lahaina Divers? And - are they a cattle boat operation?

2) We want to dive the Cathedrals and do Lanai diving. Any recommendations? Who goes there from Kihei?

3) We want to dive Molokini (both crater and back wall same day if possible). We're thinking of B&B, we like the idea of getting up and heading out early. Do the locals have good things to say about them? Also, we're staying at Castle Kama'ole Sands Resort and I think the boat ramp they use is really close to us.

Those are the charter dives we want to do, as far as I can tell we'll have to dive a different operator every day. I could be wrong but I don't think any one operator does all those sites, beside first time anywhere we like to try out different operators to see who we like.

So, that leaves 3 days for shore dives. So far in looking at threads it looks like the two most recommended are Shaka and Maui Dreams. What's the biggest differences? Also, what would you say are the top 3 shore dives that we don't want to miss before we head back home to the desert? We want to dive everyday - nitrox preferred. We would like to get it done early as possible everyday so we have a chance to sight see as well. Also, we're not into mixing cardio with diving - we like to take our time and get some decent photos.

Finally - what's up with the weather. Is it as bad as the reports I see? Looks like it will be windy the first few days of our trip. Is that going to make me scrap my whole plan.

Thanks for any help. We want to use whatever we learn to help plan the next trip to Maui in March.

Take care!

I have dove with B&B and had a great time with them for Molokini. Yes, the Kihei dock is close to where you are and a quick ride out to Molokini.

I have also dove with Lahaina Divers to go over to Lanai. First Cathedral is not to be missed. Some folks think they are pretty much of a cattle boat, but I had a good time. One thing they started this summer is doing their Thursday night dive closest to the full moon over at First Cathedral. I did it in September and it was awesome. As we entered the cavern, we put our hands over the lights and looked at the moonshine coming in the "windows." We were the first group in (two groups on the boat) and we saw the biggest lobster I have ever seen (the arch-bishop of the cathedral), but he got ticked off at all the lights and left before the second group got in. This dive for November is on the 10th, so it may be worthwhile. Having been over for a day dive in the cathedral the day before made the night dive a little more enjoyable.

Like you, I've seen the recent comments about the hammerheads at Molokai and am now not that anxious to spend the money for that dive.

I've been in the Maui Dreams shop and had a good feeling about them and would love to dive with them some day. I've also read a lot of good stuff about Shaka Doug for shore diving. Watch this video and then (if and) when you call them, tell them that you must dive the back wall and ride a sea turtle: I Want to Dive the Back Wall! - YouTube

Lots of possibilities. Have fun.

Thanks for the reply - this is helpful. The night dive sounds good!

I will tell Shaka Divers I want to dive the back wall and ride a sea turtle but first I'll ask them where their boat is and throw in a few "I don't cares" : )

I have dove with B&B and had a great time with them for Molokini. Yes, the Kihei dock is close to where you are and a quick ride out to Molokini.

I have also dove with Lahaina Divers to go over to Lanai. First Cathedral is not to be missed. Some folks think they are pretty much of a cattle boat, but I had a good time. One thing they started this summer is doing their Thursday night dive closest to the full moon over at First Cathedral. I did it in September and it was awesome. As we entered the cavern, we put our hands over the lights and looked at the moonshine coming in the "windows." We were the first group in (two groups on the boat) and we saw the biggest lobster I have ever seen (the arch-bishop of the cathedral), but he got ticked off at all the lights and left before the second group got in. This dive for November is on the 10th, so it may be worthwhile. Having been over for a day dive in the cathedral the day before made the night dive a little more enjoyable.

Like you, I've seen the recent comments about the hammerheads at Molokai and am now not that anxious to spend the money for that dive.

I've been in the Maui Dreams shop and had a good feeling about them and would love to dive with them some day. I've also read a lot of good stuff about Shaka Doug for shore diving. Watch this video and then (if and) when you call them, tell them that you must dive the back wall and ride a sea turtle: I Want to Dive the Back Wall! - YouTube

Lots of possibilities. Have fun.

2) We want to dive the Cathedrals and do Lanai diving. Any recommendations? Who goes there from Kihei?
I don't think anybody does - maybe one of the zodiac boat dive operators. It's a pretty good ride from there and would be rough when the tradewinds pick up in the afternoon. Lahaina Divers has the big Newton diveboats which make for a nicer ride back. The one time we stayed in Wailea we drove up to Lahaina once to dive Cathedral 1 - it's about a 45min. drive though. We did a first dive at Shark Fin off Lanai - another good dive. By the time we ascended from the Cathedral the boat was pitching enough that you had to time the ladder and several people got sick.

3) We want to dive Molokini (both crater and back wall same day if possible). We're thinking of B&B, we like the idea of getting up and heading out early. Do the locals have good things to say about them? Also, we're staying at Castle Kama'ole Sands Resort and I think the boat ramp they use is really close to us.
Ed Robinsons and Mike Severns also use the same ramp. My buddy did the 3-tank advanced dive with Ed Robinson - he took them to a Manta cleaning station during the third (dusk) dive. Afaik most South Maui boats leave from the same ramp.

Also, what would you say are the top 3 shore dives that we don't want to miss before we head back home to the desert?
Makena Landing for one although there may have been some recent development in that area that may have changed things - IDK. I personally like Wailea Beach, others not as much. Just off the beach it's not great but there's a lot of stuff out by the point. Maybe Sheraton Black Rock if you want to drive up there - often there's Turtles there. Olawalu if you want to dive with the Tigers...:D

More info here: http://www.shorediving.com/Earth/Hawaii/Maui/ Wherever you go to shore dive get there early for parking. We circled the parking lot at Wailea once for 30 mins. till someone left.

Since you're staying in Kihei, the brunch at the Grand Wailea is worth it.

Thnaks for the reply - and for the tip on brunch - I will make sure to brunch there at least once.

Not sure about diving with tigers - first thought is it sounds like fun but on second thought I probably won't be able to convince the wife and I'm not sure myself....aren't they a little more unpredictable?

As for Lanai I guess Lahaina Divers does look like a decent option - my bearings were off...for some reason I thought Lanai was further south but after looking closer at the map I feel like a knucklehead.....

Ever do the hammerhead dive on Molokai?

I don't think anybody does - maybe one of the zodiac boat dive operators. It's a pretty good ride from there and would be rough when the tradewinds pick up in the afternoon. Lahaina Divers has the big Newton diveboats which make for a nicer ride back. The one time we stayed in Wailea we drove up to Lahaina once to dive Cathedral 1 - it's about a 45min. drive though. We did a first dive at Shark Fin off Lanai - another good dive. By the time we ascended from the Cathedral the boat was pitching enough that you had to time the ladder and several people got sick.

Ed Robinsons and Mike Severns also use the same ramp. My buddy did the 3-tank advanced dive with Ed Robinson - he took them to a Manta cleaning station during the third (dusk) dive. Afaik most South Maui boats leave from the same ramp.

Makena Landing for one although there may have been some recent development in that area that may have changed things - IDK. I personally like Wailea Beach, others not as much. Just off the beach it's not great but there's a lot of stuff out by the point. Maybe Sheraton Black Rock if you want to drive up there - often there's Turtles there. Olawalu if you want to dive with the Tigers...:D

More info here: Scuba Shore Diving Site Listing for: Maui, Hawaiian Islands Wherever you go to shore dive get there early for parking. We circled the parking lot at Wailea once for 30 mins. till someone left.

Since you're staying in Kihei, the brunch at the Grand Wailea is worth it.

Not sure about diving with tigers - first thought is it sounds like fun but on second thought I probably won't be able to convince the wife and I'm not sure myself....aren't they a little more unpredictable?

As for Lanai I guess Lahaina Divers does look like a decent option - my bearings were off...for some reason I thought Lanai was further south but after looking closer at the map I feel like a knucklehead.....

Ever do the hammerhead dive on Molokai?
I was 1/2 joking about Olawalu. In addition to the Tigers, it can sometimes be murky. And they're kind of large. That would be a little too intense even for me - and I like filming sharks...There's always the Tigers in the Maui Ocean Center tank - for $199 you can dive it. Shark Dive Maui | Maui Ocean Centers Hawaiian Aquarium

I dove once with Lahaina Divers. Mid-week only about 10 on the boat. My insta-buddy (German equivalent of an ex-seal) decided we should do the outside of Shark Fin - after hugging the reef in several lava tube depressions we finally made it around. But it was worth it, I saw a school of what must have been 1000 Moorish Idols just hanging in the current. And another equally big school of some sort of Tangs. Really good dive. I've heard things may have changed but they had no problem with us going by ourselves while the DM's took the others towards Lanai.

Never been to Molokai but that dive is on my short list for next trip. Although I've read if they don't show up it's just a blue water dive - so IDK.

I believe that Lahaina Divers requires that you've been diving with them at least once prior to letting you do the Molokai charter. If that's still the case, you'll have to book your Lanai charter with them to make sure you're good for Molokai. Lahaina Divers will take up to 23 divers on their big Newton dive boats, but you might be happy for the size and stability of those boats for both the Lanai and Molokai crossings, which can both be very rough. The good news is that you're going at a pretty quiet time for tourism (before Thanksgiving), so may find that the boats aren't very crowded, which can make for a very fun charter.

A friend of ours is a captain with Lahaina Divers and reported that he's already had some great whale sightings, so hopefully you'll be treated to some whale watching while you're there as well. :)

Keep in mind that none of the Kihei boat operators can guarantee that you'll be able to dive the backwall. If conditions stink, nobody will drop their divers there, and frankly, you wouldn't want to be there anyway. :wink: The most recommended boat operators on this board are Ed Robinson's, B&B, and Mike Severns. I also wouldn't hesitate to recommend Makena Coast Charters as well. Personally, we always dive with Ed Robinson's since we like their advanced charters that they run on Sundays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays...with Tuesdays and Fridays being 3-tank charters. They definitely do a nice job catering to the more advanced diver, which we prefer and will pay a bit extra for.

I would recommend that instead of simply a backwall dive at Molokini, you ask if there's been any action at the cleaning station on the Reef's End side of the crater. If there's been activity (usually by sharks, Manta Rays, and Eagle Rays), you will get the double feature of a nice section of the backwall to explore, but also the possibility of seeing something big. We had some amazing dives there this summer and hope for more later in November!

Shaka Doug is strictly a shore diving guide, but Maui Dreams runs a dive boat (Maui Diamond) out of Maalaea Harbor in addition to offering shore diving guiding. Maui Dive Shop has a free magazine you can pick up in any of their stores with a bunch of the shore diving sites, how to enter, and how to dive them.

Don't forget that if you shore dive though, you MUST have a dive flag with you. Maui County are sticklers for it and have been known to give out tickets. One nice thing about hiring Shaka Doug though is that not only are your tanks and weights included in your diving, but HE will tow the flag! :)

It's looking more like Lahaina Divers for at least one boat dive.........I'll have to call them I and see what they say about the hammerhead dive.

I agree............tigers are a little intense.....

I was 1/2 joking about Olawalu. In addition to the Tigers, it can sometimes be murky. And they're kind of large. That would be a little too intense even for me - and I like filming sharks...There's always the Tigers in the Maui Ocean Center tank - for $199 you can dive it. Shark Dive Maui | Maui Ocean Centers Hawaiian Aquarium

I dove once with Lahaina Divers. Mid-week only about 10 on the boat. My insta-buddy (German equivalent of an ex-seal) decided we should do the outside of Shark Fin - after hugging the reef in several lava tube depressions we finally made it around. But it was worth it, I saw a school of what must have been 1000 Moorish Idols just hanging in the current. And another equally big school of some sort of Tangs. Really good dive. I've heard things may have changed but they had no problem with us going by ourselves while the DM's took the others towards Lanai.

Never been to Molokai but that dive is on my short list for next trip. Although I've read if they don't show up it's just a blue water dive - so IDK.

Thanks for the info..........do we need a flag or just a safety sausage? I have an inflatable buoy and flag I can bring.

Manta, Eagel Rays and Reef sharks are way cool but we've seen them lots of times...........we have never seen a hammerhead though..........they are sort of next on our critter list : } However, if the Molokai dive has a slim percent chance of actually seeing them I probably won't go........$200 x 2 for a deep blue water hover is a little bit much. I think I'll call them tomorrow and see what kind of sightings they have had lately.

Thanks for the info !

This is from Lahaina Divers Molokai dive page:

Requirements: Due to the advanced nature of diving Molokai, divers should have recent diving experience, good buoyancy control, and be good on air consumption. This dive site is not suitable for snorkelers. This dive requires each divers to carry a dive computer and a safety marker sausage. Please contact the dive shop for more information.

I can show'em my log if there's any question about our diving experiance. : }

I believe that Lahaina Divers requires that you've been diving with them at least once prior to letting you do the Molokai charter. If that's still the case, you'll have to book your Lanai charter with them to make sure you're good for Molokai. Lahaina Divers will take up to 23 divers on their big Newton dive boats, but you might be happy for the size and stability of those boats for both the Lanai and Molokai crossings, which can both be very rough. The good news is that you're going at a pretty quiet time for tourism (before Thanksgiving), so may find that the boats aren't very crowded, which can make for a very fun charter.

A friend of ours is a captain with Lahaina Divers and reported that he's already had some great whale sightings, so hopefully you'll be treated to some whale watching while you're there as well. :)

Keep in mind that none of the Kihei boat operators can guarantee that you'll be able to dive the backwall. If conditions stink, nobody will drop their divers there, and frankly, you wouldn't want to be there anyway. :wink: The most recommended boat operators on this board are Ed Robinson's, B&B, and Mike Severns. I also wouldn't hesitate to recommend Makena Coast Charters as well. Personally, we always dive with Ed Robinson's since we like their advanced charters that they run on Sundays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays...with Tuesdays and Fridays being 3-tank charters. They definitely do a nice job catering to the more advanced diver, which we prefer and will pay a bit extra for.

I would recommend that instead of simply a backwall dive at Molokini, you ask if there's been any action at the cleaning station on the Reef's End side of the crater. If there's been activity (usually by sharks, Manta Rays, and Eagle Rays), you will get the double feature of a nice section of the backwall to explore, but also the possibility of seeing something big. We had some amazing dives there this summer and hope for more later in November!

Shaka Doug is strictly a shore diving guide, but Maui Dreams runs a dive boat (Maui Diamond) out of Maalaea Harbor in addition to offering shore diving guiding. Maui Dive Shop has a free magazine you can pick up in any of their stores with a bunch of the shore diving sites, how to enter, and how to dive them.

Don't forget that if you shore dive though, you MUST have a dive flag with you. Maui County are sticklers for it and have been known to give out tickets. One nice thing about hiring Shaka Doug though is that not only are your tanks and weights included in your diving, but HE will tow the flag! :)

I don't do boat dives when I'm there. The shore dives are awsome and have kept me busy so far. Someday I will end up doing a boat dive. I highly recommend Shaka Doug for a guide, he showed us around 5 caves pointing out critters I would have missed completely. He is easy to get ahold of, has any gear you could need and is a true ocean lover. Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but bubbles , kill nothing but time! I would recommend 5 caves and Malo boat ramp. Malo is number one for my next visit!

Back
Top Bottom