In 2013 are you using a tech computer (as a computer) or BT for your tech diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

if planning to do Deco, I plan with tables, pen/paper and math.
Then I cut my own backup tables.
Then I just use my computer for the tasks I need it for.
If I am following tables only with a set plan, I leave it in computer mode and just follow the running time.

I still pay attention to NDL and all too, sometimes I find that my profile doesn't even get me into deco, or it just barely tips me over the limit and I only need a few mins of deco, vs the much longer period of time I had scheduled on my hand calculated square profile. It's a bit harder to plan depths in a cave... so a square profile is not always optimal for caves with lots of lateral swimming and various depth changes.

Now, even if my computer calls for less deco, I'll still follow my hand cut tables up until the computer clears me.

I have VPlannner installed on my PCs, but tend to use iDeco Pro more often on my iphone/ipad since it's easier to deal with at a dive site.
I did make sure to change vplanner/ideco/computer all to as closely matching settings as I can, so I can use any for planning and it should be close enough.

I make tables with deco planner. Avg depth, gases, and a wide range of times.

Bottom timer (Xen or uwatec) and these tables are all I use. Never had a need for a computer.

I use a BT for all my dives, but if a buddy has a VPM computer that gets me out of the water faster, I'll gladly exit sooner-- especially if I'm hungry.

Plan and cut table with V-Planner, dive within the table using two Petrels running VPM; cut table + depth gage + Seamaster as an 'if two Shearwaters fail on the same dive' backup.

2013 or 2023 it will still be 2 x BT + "cut" table on slate

Ratio Deco, Xen BT and now Petrel Dive Computer to track slow tissue N2 loading on deco profiles over consecutive dive days of a week or more. Easier to read Petrel color LCD display in the bright ambient light of tropical shallow waters than the Xen -both shine brightly at depth & inside a wreck.

IWR profile written in Wetnotes.

BT only. I hate buying dive gear these days, so I will only spend money replacing or upgrading gear that adds to the enjoyment of a dive, and computers don't do it for me. Yes, they may get you out of the water a bit quicker, but not by much.

KL

2x Bottom Timers running tables cut from Multi-Deco (VPM+2).

Never yet had a $2000+ need for computer/s on OC. Too much to spend for a couple of minutes saved on deco.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom