I'm stuck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I was pretty sure that I wanted my next purchase to be a macro lens, maybe two. Gotta love those small fries and interesting close ups! But now I have been reading and trying to get more info on what a WAL can do for my pictures and that also seems to be a good choice (not to mention that a second strob is looking better and better too! anybody using 2 D180s?).
So now what? What would be the better choice and why? and which would be the better lens?....wallet is only big enough for one.
Aloha, Lisa

Lisa,
Go for the WAL. You can add a second strobe later if you feel the need. I love having the WAL. I should have gotten it before the strobe. You can use the WAL with your single strobe for critters that won't fit in the photo closeup and w/o the strobe using manual white balance for larger scenes like wrecks and reefs.
I debated on the close-up lens but put it on hold for now.

I agree with Jim. I get so much use out of my WAL, I can't imagine diving salt water without it. I would definately get one before a second strobe. All the wreck photo in my Roatan '04 albums were taken with a S&S 'L' WA lens, using Manual WB, if you want to see what it can do.

Lisa -

I am in the same place as you! BUT I am going for Macro (actually will probably get the WAL lens too - love that Visa card!) because that is what I absolutely adore shooting. I love sticking my head under ledges, in holes and spending ten minutes studying a single small piece of whip or soft coral to see who else is living there. So macro is essential for me...

So saying, I really like the images I am seeing with the WAL and am sure I will adore it when I get it. I know that when I was using my housed SLR I almost NEVER shot WA despite having a really nice lens and dome...I'd always return from my dive thinking "wish I would have had my macro!"

Now with wet change lense I can have both!

I guess it depends a lot on what you are going to take pictures of...me, 90% of my interest at the moment is teeny tiny creatures so if I could only have one it'd be the macro.

justleesa:
I was pretty sure that I wanted my next purchase to be a macro lens, maybe two. Gotta love those small fries and interesting close ups!

Are the macro lenses for your 5050? I think it's pretty neat as is. Of course I just started and am easily impressed. Does anyone have pics with macro lenses and the 5050 that I could look at to see what I'm missing? One day I may financially recover from buying this first round of equipment and it would help to know what to drool for :yippie17: .

SeaYoda:
Are the macro lenses for your 5050? I think it's pretty neat as is. Of course I just started and am easily impressed. Does anyone have pics with macro lenses and the 5050 that I could look at to see what I'm missing? One day I may financially recover from buying this first round of equipment and it would help to know what to drool for :yippie17: .

I will get some up once I get my act together and order the dumb things from Yuzo! It keeps slipping down the list...

The 5050 does do great macro, and I haven't even played with the supermacro yet...but imagine a bigger little creature in the frame or getting the teeny teeny guys better :)

:lol2: Let's face it...I am a gear-aholic and want everything!!

alcina:
Lisa -
I guess it depends a lot on what you are going to take pictures of...me, 90% of my interest at the moment is teeny tiny creatures so if I could only have one it'd be the macro.
Well said. I'm the other end of the spectrum, wide angle shots are 90% for me. Depends on your subject matter.

All the best, James

alcina:
...but imagine a bigger little creature in the frame or getting the teeny teeny guys better

This little guy was about an inch long - how teeny teeny is teeny teeny to you?

SeaYoda:
This little guy was about an inch long - how teeny teeny is teeny teeny to you?
I assume you shot that 1" fish with a C5050 without additional lenses. The photo you posted, is that full-frame or have you applied a crop to it?

Back
Top Bottom