I'm stuck

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends on your preference. I prefer macro over WA myself (and the result shows, lots more decent pictures from the macro end than the WA end of the spectrum).
With C5050, macro lens (or better yet stacked macro lens) will give a bit more flexibility with macro. However, the major limitation of the C5050 is the 105mm lens. Basically one macro lens will let you get closer to the subject but add very little magnification. 2 macro lens will give you a bit more magnification.
People who are shooting dSLR with 105mm lens has an equavalent of around 160mm lens so they don't need to get as close for similar magnification so it will be a bit easier to shoot smallish skitish creature.

Just get both. :wink:

I love macro, as you can see from most of my photos. But got the wide to help get full frame on big critters while still getting close.

I'm using a C-4040 with L&M tetra housing, got the WA and Macro lens with the package and all my shots are with the WA... I wouldn't get the Macro knowing what I do now as the only difference I can see is that I have to get closer with the WA than with the Macro... again, using a C-4040...
Go with the WA and just figure you'll need to get closer than if you had a Macro and the WA will work for all shots..
The 5050 has such a super Macro, that you'll probably have no problems getting the shots you want..

For dual strobes, I'm shooting 2 Nikon SB105 - older models, and like them.. removes the shadows or you can work with them to create mild ones or dramatic ones... also paints the WA Close ups... for colors...

So, IMNSHO, go for the WA, then the dual strobes and if you have to have the macro, then that... Actually I find using my old Nikonas V with "Extender tubes" works the macro angle.... assuming I can find something that small that will sit still.. heheh...

Hope that helps...

Dont know how close 5050 can focus at full tele. But A70 can only focus beyond 25cm. The macro lense I bought cuts this a least in half (maybe 8 -10cm). This is a good distance for me as I can use my strobe without lens shadow etc. Ideally I'd love to get a second macro and stack them. I haven't really got a chance to use the macro underwater yet, but here is a topside shot to show how good they can be.

This is straight out of the camera - no post-processing except resize. There has been no crop.

At full tele, the C5050 will focus to about 8 inches (macro mode), supermacro will focus to 2cm but with the lens fix at either 50 or 60mm (can't remember which).
Basically the C5050 alone is good for subject down to about 3-4cm lenght. Anything smaller than that, it is not going to be ideal, unless you are sticking one or two macro lens in front.

ReyeR:
I assume you shot that 1" fish with a C5050 without additional lenses. The photo you posted, is that full-frame or have you applied a crop to it?

If I remember correctly, I shot it less than a foot away and did crop some. I was just using the 5050 in the housing, no additional lens.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom