I'm still cold!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi folks, could I contribute some other ideas ... I like the points about vest with integrated hoods ... from winter sports, I have learned my lesson: hypothermia is cumulative, and it is easy to lose sight of that fact. Bundle up during the breakfast hours before the dive: knit hat, pants, warm hoodie. Try to have a hot drink too. On the panga, wear your knit hat and boat coat with your wetsuit before you get wet. After the dive, the boat coat and hat go back on, and then when the panga lands (at the resort or mothership or what have you) get out of your wet things asap , hot shower with plenty of water and hair conditioner to get the salt off (saltwater never really dries properly, again, making you vulnerable to little chills) put on dry clothes, have a hot drink, and overdress for the climate for a few hours, until you get a really good feeling of core body heat. Bring several bathing suits and knit hats on your trip so that you can avoid putting wet stuff on. The little chills do add up. Do this ever day and your last day will be just as comfortable as your first. As for boat coats: I just go to Goodwill and buy any old windbreaker several sizes too large. I probably look like an odd duck now and then during surface time, but hey, I am usually toasty, whereas I used to be cold all the time. (to the point where I needed to pee a lot as well ... tmi, sorry :) )

First, I want to applaud you for explaining the cumulative effect of cold. Of course I completely agree with all of your ideas about keeping warm, except for the hot shower. This is not recommended after diving.

Love the windbreaker idea and of course why wouldn't I, having done exactly the same and not giving a hoot how goofy I look!

I’ve been diving the local quarry early this season wet for the first time (drysuit too big due to weight loss). 48F water. I’m wearing a 7mm Bare Evoke. Under I’ve got a Lycra rash guard with a Lavacore hooded vest. I wear my regular neoprene 5mm Waterproof hood over the Lavacore hood. My core and head stay nice and toasty.

My feet are a bit of an issue since fins fit my 5mm boots very closely. I added 1mm Wetsox and they made my boots just big enough to not go quite all the way into my fins. I can deal with that though. I wear 3mm Fourth Element gloves. I can deal with somewhat chilly fingers to have dexterity.

Regarding Lavacore/ Sharkskin etc, I agree with the comments of both @scubadada and @Lorenzoid.

I can't say I'm an expert but I have used them for around 4 years and my comments here are as such

While the manufacturer's claim they are equivalent to a 3mm - I feel they are nearer to a 1.5mm Of course people with different cold tolerance will feel differently.

As with wetsuits, fit is important especially around the neck. My Sharkskin top has been retired after 4 years/400 dives because it has stretched over time from being pulled off while wet. The neck seal allows it to flush.

For me these items are an intermediate exposure suit. When a layer of neoprene is too much I can drop down to these. Or when it's too warm for neoprene (something that's important here in the summer)

One important advantage of these materials, is that they breath and are wind proof. When you step out of your wetsuit the do keep you warmer than you would be otherwise. They also are excellent for keeping the sun off you.

Rash vests do not breath, and while I live in an extreme climate, I know from experience how you can get too hot in a Rash vest, but not in a Sharkskin/lavacore.

So for me they are an additional tool in my exposure suit catalogue.

I personally move between a drysuit in "winter"
Next a 3.5mm + 2mm Hooded Neoprene vest
Next 3.5mm wetsuit + Sharkskin
Finally just sharkskin top and bottom

And reverse.

I'm also a big fan of beach robes that you can through on before or post dive. On vacation I wear mine all the time during the day when not diving

I was once "mocked by someone for wearing mine when it was in the high 80's F which was fine, as I told them that I was acclimatized to my summer temps at home which had been 130F so it wasnt' that warm to me.

I have a water resistant one too for small boats especially in the early morning in our winter when it may only be 50F

Diving Dubai, a bathrobe,eh? I think I was diving with you in Maldives. LOL

My Surf Fur cost is worth every penny of the $150 I paid for it.

my wife ran in to the same problem when we dove the island of kauai over christmas a few years ago. the dive shop had some heated gel pack handwarmer type things. they had a small metal disc inside that you would snap and the pack started heating. lasted about an hour or so. you boil them in water to re-generate them. just google heat gel packs. all kinds come up and they are not that expensive. just stuff them inside your wetsuit around your body core.

I dive with a 5mm in 85F waters:) Between 65F to 85F, I will need a 7mm with a hood and gloves. Hood and gloves make a tonne of difference!

Ange2014, do you ever add some underwear like a Bare Chillguard or Shark etc? They are buoyancy neutral so you wouldn't need so much neoprene/weights to be warm.

Ange2014, do you ever add some underwear like a Bare Chillguard or Shark etc? They are buoyancy neutral so you wouldn't need so much neoprene/weights to be warm.

I've tried ordinary rashguards but they didn't keep me warm enough. How are these different and how much more effective are they?

Oh my, they are far superior to regular rashguards. The Bare chillguard is sort of like a tightfitting sweatshirt, smooth on the outside, kind of fleece on the inside. I'm not sure what the Sharkskin is made of but it has properties to help keep you warmer. There's another well known product but for the life of me, I can't recall its name. Somebody chime in here please.

Performance Wear Long Sleeve - Womens - Sharkskin

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom