I'm still cold!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For me, doing multiple dives in 77F water, especially if cloudy/drizzly, means 5mm plus 3mm hooded vest. Lavacore hooded vest didn't cut it, so I bought the 3mm. I suppose in a very warm, sunny climate I could get away without the vest at 77F, but it's pushing it. I recall a cloudy/drizzly Cozumel vacation in December where the water temp was 79F and the air not much warmer, and I added the vest on the third day or so.

A membrane suit with almost nothing under it is not all that warm, but boy it sure is nice & dry. I have worn my drysuit over long underwear in the Red Sea for several trips Nov-April (water 23-28C). With no hood and no gloves even a swimming pool isn't too warm. For several dives a day, day after day, diving dry just takes a whole lot less out of you, esp. if the weather conditions are at all chilly or windy. If taking your drysuit as a backup is an option, you can always use it if you start to feel the cold getting into your bones.

Last edited:
You can always add hood,gloves and socks. You can always shed layers is my policy. The spring by our house is a great dive but 72 year round. I dive a sharkskin suit under my 5mm and the layer a hooded vest. With socks and gloves. It’s a lot but I hate being cold.

I'm always cold, too. Came back from Roatan last month where the water was 80-81 and I was cold after 20 minutes in a full (pretty new) Henderson 3mm with a dive skin under and boots. I get chilly in 83-degree water after about 40 minutes in the same set up. I can't easily wear a hood because my face is small so my mask will leak (sometimes it does if I don't get it on just right even without a hood). So I'm considering buying a heated shirt (e.g. Thermalution) for future dives as we're headed to Fiji in May where the temps (according to the resort website) are around 77-78. I don't really want to go to a 5mm or thicker because I don't want to have to add a lot of weight (when I'm in good shape I only need 8 lbs but obviously I'm out of shape because I needed 11 lbs in Roatan :/). I think I'll probably always want the heated shirt, even when I'm in 83 degree water. For those that have one, does that sound like a good plan? Will it keep me warm enough?

I'm always cold, too. Came back from Roatan last month where the water was 80-81 and I was cold after 20 minutes in a full (pretty new) Henderson 3mm with a dive skin under and boots. I get chilly in 83-degree water after about 40 minutes in the same set up. I can't easily wear a hood because my face is small so my mask will leak (sometimes it does if I don't get it on just right even without a hood). So I'm considering buying a heated shirt (e.g. Thermalution) for future dives as we're headed to Fiji in May where the temps (according to the resort website) are around 77-78. I don't really want to go to a 5mm or thicker because I don't want to have to add a lot of weight (when I'm in good shape I only need 8 lbs but obviously I'm out of shape because I needed 11 lbs in Roatan :/). I think I'll probably always want the heated shirt, even when I'm in 83 degree water. For those that have one, does that sound like a good plan? Will it keep me warm enough?
I'm going to Fiji too in May!! Where and when are you going?? I've been advised to bring my 5 ml

Second half of May - going with a small group - Beqa and then Tokoriki. I honestly think I'd be cold in a 5mm, and I don't want a 7mm. So hoping the heated shirt is the answer to my prayers.

Second half of May - going with a small group - Beqa and then Tokoriki. I honestly think I'd be cold in a 5mm, and I don't want a 7mm. So hoping the heated shirt is the answer to my prayers.
Hi folks, could I contribute some other ideas ... I like the points about vest with integrated hoods ... from winter sports, I have learned my lesson: hypothermia is cumulative, and it is easy to lose sight of that fact. Bundle up during the breakfast hours before the dive: knit hat, pants, warm hoodie. Try to have a hot drink too. On the panga, wear your knit hat and boat coat with your wetsuit before you get wet. After the dive, the boat coat and hat go back on, and then when the panga lands (at the resort or mothership or what have you) get out of your wet things asap , hot shower with plenty of water and hair conditioner to get the salt off (saltwater never really dries properly, again, making you vulnerable to little chills) put on dry clothes, have a hot drink, and overdress for the climate for a few hours, until you get a really good feeling of core body heat. Bring several bathing suits and knit hats on your trip so that you can avoid putting wet stuff on. The little chills do add up. Do this ever day and your last day will be just as comfortable as your first. As for boat coats: I just go to Goodwill and buy any old windbreaker several sizes too large. I probably look like an odd duck now and then during surface time, but hey, I am usually toasty, whereas I used to be cold all the time. (to the point where I needed to pee a lot as well ... tmi, sorry :) )

I wear a drysuit for anything colder than 80 degrees f / 26 degrees c ... so that includes Hawaii. I highly recommend a drysuit if you can swing it. cheers

I'm going to Fiji too in May!! Where and when are you going?? I've been advised to bring my 5 ml

My daughter was in Fiji for two months last year and water temps were 26C

Personally I change into different suits depending on temperature, I get cold easily too.

I did have a Mares 5mm semi dry and that worked great for me for many years. Remarkably it still fits but it's not a 5mm any more :(

Layering is good, hooded vests highly recommended even with semi drys. Below 25C I now dive in a dry suit.

i have a 5 mm gold core Henderson wetsuit. I was in Hawaii with water at 77 degrees. By 40 minutes or so I was getting cold and getting back in water for second dive I only lasted 30 mins. Dive master was wearing 8 mm semi dry and said she was toasty but worried about being too toasty. Going to fiji in May. Any words of advice?

In 21C (70F) I would seriously consider wearing a drysuit, particularly if I were making long dives or many successive dives over several days.

The 8mm semidry that the DM was using would also be my lower bar for comfort in that temperature. It's kind of an individual thing and I HATE being cold.

R..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom