I'm Finished....Finally!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the gear exchange, there were 4 of us in class together and we weren't sure who the buddies were going to be so we all started with the same weight. Yes, a couple were overweighted (actually, we all were intentionally), but it kept us on the bottom without floating during exchanges.

IanianW2,

Freaking out over the mask is not good. At this point, your buddy should be able to deal with that. I would be pissed as well. As long as it was on, even if not fully cleared once you exchanged & re-exchanged it would have been completed.

AZ

Arizona:
IanianW2,

Freaking out over the mask is not good. At this point, your buddy should be able to deal with that. I would be pissed as well. As long as it was on, even if not fully cleared once you exchanged & re-exchanged it would have been completed.

AZ
I agree... at the DiveMaster level, no one should be panicking simply because they don't have a mask on in a pool. They should be completely calm, with or without a mask on.

Feeling panicky is one thing. Shooting to the surface like a OW student is another.

They shouldn't be panicking, but it can happen, esp if their buddy is being a bit to greedy with the reg at the wrong moment. Surfacing scores a 2, and it must be re-done !

I agree with that...at the DM level you need to be completely comfortable in the water. Sounds like that person is not ready yet for this level.

CompuDude:
I agree... at the DiveMaster level, no one should be panicking simply because they don't have a mask on in a pool. They should be completely calm, with or without a mask on.

Feeling panicky is one thing. Shooting to the surface like a OW student is another.

Bubble Junky:
They shouldn't be panicking, but it can happen, esp if their buddy is being a bit to greedy with the reg at the wrong moment. Surfacing scores a 2, and it must be re-done !

Even in this case, I think the surface should not be an option. If you have to bail, the DMC should grab the insturctor's octo and demonstrate control.

I can see what you guys are saying about bolting/surfacing/panicking, but it's not such a black and white thing. Sometimes a DMT will surface during this skill because their buddy has done something wrong, and maybe they could have grabbed the occy (not the instructor's though - I sometimes assess this with just a snorkel). Either way if they grab the occy or surface, they will be repeating the excercise, and the important thing is they learn from the previous attempt, and are becoming more comfortable and better at solving the problems the equipment exchange can throw up.

Bubble Junky:
I can see what you guys are saying about bolting/surfacing/panicking, but it's not such a black and white thing. Sometimes a DMT will surface during this skill because their buddy has done something wrong, and maybe they could have grabbed the occy (not the instructor's though - I sometimes assess this with just a snorkel). Either way if they grab the occy or surface, they will be repeating the excercise, and the important thing is they learn from the previous attempt, and are becoming more comfortable and better at solving the problems the equipment exchange can throw up.
I agree... to a point. Question is, was this a "go to the surface calmly to discuss things and try again" or was this "oh crap, must breathe, go UP!"? No problem with the former. Big problem with the latter, at this level.

Great job! Went through TDI/SDI myself, and had a great time doing so. Now I'm headed to Hoods Port, Wash. too work with a couple classes, and start working on my instructor cert.. With classes slowing down, looking at possibly next spring before that cert.. But I'll have have lots of time too study. Hopefully things work out well for you and stay safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom