I'm buying stuff! Give opinions...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ShakaZulu:
Finally, very good gear indeed. I have most of it..........I'd also recommend an OMS SPG and a steel tank. The only reason I have an AL80 is because of my boat diving. All yoke fittings and I don't want to deal with the DIN adaptor.

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=OMSPGOSM

Shakazulu, your response to my post for advice a couple weeks back influenced my decisions by the way. I really liked your picks! Can someone point me to a url of a good steel tank? I've never owned a tank(s) before... and have no idea what to look for. Also, whats up with the DIN adaptor? Is this something I'll be worrying about?

Steel tanks allow you to dive with less weight, since the steel tanks are heavier. This is part of the reason why the BP/W is even nicer. Since you have more weight in the steel BP, you can carry even less weight. Diving in Socal requires a 7mm suit, and 24lbs at least, with the usual setup.

High pressure (HP) steel comes in DIN, where as the low pressure (LP) steel comes in either. Check if your local LDS can actually fill the HP steel to capacity. Most dive boats around here only have yoke AL80's. If you reg is DIN, you would have to use a DIN-to-Yoke adaptor. DIN is safer however, o-ring blowout on a DIN setup is very remote.

http://www.scubaboard.com/t37796.html

The SK7 is the best compass on the market. It has the steepest tilt angle and still keeps working. It also comes in a version mounted on a retractor, but that means another dangly. You have two wrists ( I hope) :D Speaking of danglies, don't forget to get the keepers for your octo and depth/pressure guage so they don't hang down.

travelmadness:
I'm still scratching my head on the compass thing. Not sure if I want a computer, and a compass both on my wrist. I've been trying to think of an alternative compass solution, but can't think of anything - unless I had one attached to my BC - but that wouldn't be very practical for using it. I probably should invest in an adjustable band for my watch, thanks for reminding me!

just remember if you go the bc option make sure it still feels good when fully inflated!!!

The Brigade is a back inflate, it'll feel good. :D

Fly N Dive:
just remember if you go the bc option make sure it still feels good when fully inflated!!!

Good gear ideas. I would personally avoid the Zeagle. I have a Ranger that I never use. It got used for 16 dives before I got so frustrated with it that I went with a BP & Wing. If you are going with a back inflate why not look at something that is donut shaped for your wing? Personally I also find my BPW far more comfortable both in and out of the water than the Zeagle.

Wrist mount SK7 is a great idea. Vyper over the mosquito also good advice. I use an Air Nitrox Z as a bottom timer, depth guage. OMS - SPG is a very good choice as well. ATX - 50's very nice. I currently use Scuba Pros S600's, but in air share drills using the ATX - 50's they performed beautifully. My next set of regs will likely be either ATX - 100's or 200's.
Steel tanks over AL. I use PST's of various sizes all DIN. I don't float face down with them although my BP weighs 16#'s so I would hope that it would act like a keel.

I would advise using a stainless steel bolt snap to secure your spg. Just clip it to your left D ring on your waist.

overexposed2X:
Good gear ideas. I would personally avoid the Zeagle. I have a Ranger that I never use. It got used for 16 dives before I got so frustrated with it that I went with a BP & Wing.
what specifically don't you like about the zeagle? i have heard so many great things about zeagle, and the zeagle ranger?

Quarrior:
The SK7 is the best compass on the market. It has the steepest tilt angle and still keeps working. It also comes in a version mounted on a retractor, but that means another dangly. You have two wrists ( I hope) :D Speaking of danglies, don't forget to get the keepers for your octo and depth/pressure guage so they don't hang down.

what about this SK7...

http://www.leisurepro.com/Catalog.aspx?op=ItemDisplay&ProductID=SQTSK7R

?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom