I'm asking for advice about a Canon S110 and strobe YS01 problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

world_traveler

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Canon S110 camera with Ikelite housing and bought recently a YS01 strobe. Though I know that shooting in manual mode is the best, and I can do it, I bought this strobe in order to have the possibility to use the TTL mode too.
From what I know, in TTL mode, photos of same objects, taken in the same conditions, with the same settings just different apertures have the same exposure. I tried the TTL mode with the camera in AV mode with the strobe on full force and if the above is right, it doesn't work well - identical pictures taken with the same settings just different apertures, look different as they have different exposures.
The seller, who before buying told me that the set should work fine, now tells me the TTL isn't reliable and that I should ask for advice on forums…. .
According to the Sea & Sea website the strobe should be compatible with this camera and the TTL should work well when the camera is in AV mode. The customer service told me they it surely works with a Canon housing but they can't tell if the problem is caused by the strobe because I use a different housing. The strobe is synchronized with the camera and the camera flash is covered by the mask so I don't see what difference it should make. Anyway, they told me to try the strobe with a Canon housing but I didn't find somebody who has it.
I hope the forum will help….here are the questions:
1. Am I right about how should the TTL work?
2. Does anybody with the same set receive good results when shooting TTL?
3. Does anybody with the same camera and strobe but with Canon housing receive good results in TTL mode?
4. Is there something that can be done? I read about a CHDK script – how does it work?
5. What strobe with similar specifications works well with this camera?
Thank you

Make sure that your camera, in the Menu, is set to Auto Flash and not Manual flash.

Set the YS-01 to the dTTL mode.

Place your camera mode dial in any Auto exposure mode, Program should work well or Av.

Av and Tv modes can be set with Manual flash, which will not prove a simulated dTTL slave signal. Program mode always defaults to Auto flash. Thus my suggesting Program mode as a starting point.

When changing the aperture in Av mode with the camera flash in Auto and your YS strobe in DTTL your subject and near ground should have similar exposure despite changing the F stop (as long as you do not bias the exposure). However, the back ground which is exposed more by ambient lighting will vary.

N

IMG_8802.jpgIMG_8803.jpgIMG_8804.jpg

Hello Nemrod and thanks for answering. I attach 3 pictures taken in AV mode, flash on Auto - the object was at about 60cm from the camera and I changed the aperture 2,4,8. The difference is clear, not just in the background. I prefer to shoot in AV, not Program. What do you think is the problem?
thank you

I am no expert but humor me. Shoot the same three photos in Program. If then the photos are consistent exposure then we can isolate the issue to your camera and the Av mode settings. If the photos are still varying in exposure then we can isolate the issue to the strobe. It is troubleshooting technique that I want you to employ to think through this. You may be right, or that other person, the strobe is not compatible for whatever odd reason.

N

I am no expert but humor me. Shoot the same three photos in Program. If then the photos are consistent exposure then we can isolate the issue to your camera and the Av mode settings. If the photos are still varying in exposure then we can isolate the issue to the strobe. It is troubleshooting technique that I want you to employ to think through this. You may be right, or that other person, the strobe is not compatible for whatever odd reason.

N

Hi Nemrod
Do you shoot in Program mode or just suggesting for the test?
I have been shooting my S100 in Manual.. but of course no TTL.

Joe

Hi Nemrod
Do you shoot in Program mode or just suggesting for the test?
I have been shooting my S100 in Manual.. but of course no TTL.

Joe

Joe, no, my intent is trouble shoot his issue, and I try to nake that clear because if you guys read your manuals :) you will see that some modes flash can be set several ways and in Program for example it is much more restricted or essentially default setting. To trouble shoot the idea is to eliminate variables to isolate the issue.

I am not expert in this camera and strobe but I know how things work and since nobody has stepped up I am attempting to help the op logically diagnose the problem.

N

N

Hello Nemrod,
In P mode on this camera I can change the exposure just by exposure compensation and it's not the same as changing apertures.
I have also a Canon DSLR, and there I can change exposure but if I change it the camera changes the shutter speed and it's not what I want.
Anyway, I'm willing to try everything that can solve the problem - here are the 3 pictures in P mode. The basic aperture that I can't change is 2 and then from left to right +3, 0, -3
the shutter speed equal, for all of them.
The darkest picture is the one with exposure compensation +3. I expected a bigger difference from -3 to +3 and it's strange that the darkest one is the +3.

IMG_8838.jpgIMG_8839.jpgIMG_8840.jpg

does it help?

Thanks

You have confirmed the camera S110 flash is set to Auto?

Confirm that the Safety FE under the S110 camera flash control is set to OFF in the sub-Menu in camera Menu settings.

Confirm that S110 camera Safety Shift is set to OFF in the Menu settings.

Confirm that the Camera S110 exposure control is 0.

Confirm that the Camera S110 flash control bias is 0 (Press Func Set to access).

Confirm the YS-01 strobe mode selector is in TTL.

Note the YS-01 strobe in dTTL mode can only dim the output from full, it does not increase and decrease, only decreases it's output from Full. Adjust the light level with the light level control dial to decrease the amount of light for exposure if you get an overexposed image . You cannot increase the light amount with the light level control dial higher than that the camera has detected.

Are you getting a green light on the strobe after dTTL exposure?

N

You have confirmed the camera S110 flash is set to Auto?

Confirm that the Safety FE under the S110 camera flash control is set to OFF in the sub-Menu in camera Menu settings.

Confirm that S110 camera Safety Shift is set to OFF in the Menu settings.

Confirm that the Camera S110 exposure control is 0.

Confirm that the Camera S110 flash control bias is 0 (Press Func Set to access).

Confirm the YS-01 strobe mode selector is in TTL.

Note the YS-01 strobe in dTTL mode can only dim the output from full, it does not increase and decrease, only decreases it's output from Full. Adjust the light level with the light level control dial to decrease the amount of light for exposure if you get an overexposed image . You cannot increase the light amount with the light level control dial higher than that the camera has detected.

Are you getting a green light on the strobe after dTTL exposure?

N

Hello Nemrod,

I had to change the safety shift to off, all the other settings were OK. I can change the safety shift only in AV mode and the safety FE only in P mode.
I attach 3 pictures taken in P mode with exposure compensation (-3, 0, +3 ) - they aren't exactly the same , there is a difference, but small. In pictures taken in AV there is still a clear difference in exposure. There is a green light after TTL exposure and I keep the strobe on full force as it's written in the manual.

IMG_8853.jpgIMG_8854.jpgIMG_8855.jpg

Thanks for the patience

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom