Ikelite housing for Canon S95?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jean,

Thinking about getting an S95 and Ikelite housing in a couple of months. In looking at your website for the S90 there is limited functionality with regards to the rear control dial. This is due to the inability of rotating the dial vs pressing the up, down, left and right. Can you tell me specifically what functions can't be accessed?

thanks....

Neither the Canon housing nor the Ikelite housing control the rear wheel on the S90. It does not appear to me that there is room on the back door for any mechanism for the rear wheel control using the "Ultracompact" Ikelite housing family. I don't speak for Ikelite, but that was the situation on the S90.

You do need the rear wheel for manual forcusing and for manual exposure setting. There was a workaround for the S90. If you hold down the S (Shortcut) button, you could do the wheel function by pressing the left and right command buttons. The S95 may or may not keep this workaround capability.

In short the pushbutton placements and camera thicknesses DO vary enough that we don't feel comfortable touting one product number for both camera models. However we feel they operate closely enough to consider them "interchangeable."

Please refer to the S90 product page for the most up-to-date info on compatibility of the S95 in current housings: Underwater Housing for Nikon Digital Camera

And please refer to this page if you're looking for a new housing for the Canon S95, to become available in the third week of September:
Underwater Housing for Nikon Digital Camera

Due to the placement and functioning of the rear control dial we are unable to effectively access it through a control on the housing. Slowhands is right about accessing rear dial features. The shortcut (print) button must remain unassigned to use this trick.

I'm out of the country starting tomorrow so I apologize in advance for slow replies to future posts on this topic....

Regards,
Jean / Ikelite
IKELITE Underwater Systems

Thanks for the quick update on the situation, I really appreciate that, and would have even if the news itself wasn't what I wanted to hear.

And the news is better than I'd hoped, if you can really do the third week in September, I won't have to buy a Canon housing for our trip in mid October. Timing is fairly tight, but sounds do-able. Thanks. Please update the thread with any further news on availability of the #6242.95 model.

One small note, the website html page titles say "Nikon" rather than "Canon". But the links and their contents seem correct.

Whoo Hoo!

Canon seems to have stopped making new S90s, so the pipeline will drain pretty fast of new S90s as the S95 takes over.

This is what I was figuring which is why I immediately ordered a second S90 for spare as soon as the S95 was released. The operational differences are underwhelming save for video which I never do nor will I ever do. I got it for $325 on Amazon. I suspect prices for the S90 will eventually dip further but given the possibility of being left high and dry without a spare, I felt the $325 was a bargain and jumped.

The Canon A570 and A590 were virtually identical, in fact, initially the Canon USA site showed it was compatible with the DC12 A570 housing. However, in reality, it did not fit, it was ever so slightly different in button locations and a slight size difference, much like the S90/S95. It turned out that Canon never released a housing for the A590 (and corrected their site) but of course Ikelite did quickly but I do not recall that they offered a housing upgrade, I would have had to purchase a new, complete housing. I suspect that Ikelite will quickly accommodate the S95 and hopefully with improved functionality of their housing, shorter port, better lens centering and rear ring control and a longer throw shutter lever and if so I would purchase one for surf use. LOL, then I would have two S90s and a S95 :shakehead: and then next year there will the a S100 and you can be sure, the buttons will not line up, maybe should wait for it, I hear it will have a front screen and a flip out solar cell and voice control and 3D video and Quadraphonic sound.

It would be nice if it were possible to upgrade the current Ikelite S90 housing for current owners to accept the S95 so the videophiles would be happy. That would be a great service for those compelled to always upgrade to the newest and bestest.

N

Last edited:
Minor point: Canon already used the S100 designation back in 1999.

Here is a picture of the new S100. In keeping with the trend of reducing sensor pixels to reduce noise, the sensor has been reduced to 2.1 MP. To save battery power, the camera has slower operation and a small 1.2 inch rear LCD. Controls have been greatly simplified to make it easier to use. The futuristic styling rejects the smooth contours of today's camera bodies in favor of a retro boxy look, cubic titanium no doubt. No release date set, but with Nikon pressing hard with its new retro design of the P7000, probably real soon now.

Attachments

• Canon S100 front.jpg
    Canon S100 front.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:
Is there a part number for the additional foam LCD pad to fit the s95 in a s90 (6242.90) housing?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom